Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here to learn and exchange ideas

Time has come to allow more building..finall completing a 289 FIA Cobra based on the old AMT kid years ago....worked at Monogram Models in design and product development from 1974 through May of 1991..founded Accurate Miniatures.. Developed the Grand Sport that was then designed by Tom West..founded IRT Design and developed die-cast replicas for Revell Collection, Carousel I, 1320 inc.,Mattel,Team Caliber, Exoto, Classic Metal Wiorks, and Replicarz...I enjoy the amazing creations you all build!

Welcome Bob.  Great to have someone with your resume on the forum.  I too recently completed a FIA Cobra based on the Sunny/MiniCraft/Academy kit, anxious to see yours.

Edited by afx

Welcome to the forum, Bob.  I really enjoyed your narrative which was posted elsewhere previously -- you really should write a book.  Perhaps you might enlist the help of other former Monogram colleagues from the various model divisions as co-authors to broaden the potential appeal.  I've been modeling since 1957 and I'd love to read about a modeling company's inner workings, especially the R&D and engineering aspects.  I was an acquaintance of Bill Bosworth (of Accurate Miniatures) and a better modeler I've never met.  Thanks for sharing your fascinating experiences.

Certainly good to have someone with your industry background here as a regular.

The Accurate Miniatures line put out some of the finest models I've ever seen. Hardly "shake the box" kits, but there's a museum-quality model in every one, if a little skilled effort is supplied by the builder. I sure wish all kits were manufactured to similar standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the finest forums available Bob.I look forward to reading your posts based on your unique perspective.  I also started modeling in '57,my freshman year in high school.I remember using plastic wood for custom body work and a pairing knife heated over a candle to open doors.Nice to have you on board.