Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Rex White Mercury

MarkJ

21 minutes ago, dawgvet said:

Thanks MarkJ! Love this car (though being a GM guy at my core, his Chevies were my favorites ?). It was really cool talking to him about the SEDCO Black Widow ‘57’s. Gotta do one of those soon. 

Jed, I like his chevies better too, but I was trying to build all the cars he drove in his career,  and that was the next to last one he drove in his Grand National career. I built his Black Widow. I will try to post it if I can find it.

Here is his black widow. I built this before they came out with the black widow kit. I had to transform an amt 57 chevy hardtop into a 2 door sedan. If I had known they were going to come out with the kit I would have waited. First I thought I cant post this here and then I remembered  you cant hijack your own thread.

57rex4.jpg

57rex6.jpg

57rex2.jpg

57rex8.jpg

11 hours ago, dawgvet said:

BTW, where did you get those decals?!?

Thanks Jed. I had to make those decals because at the time there were no aftermarket decals for Rex's version of the black widow. I think there might be a sheet that covers every car on the sedco team, but don't quote me on that.

9 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

That Mercury  is a real real sharp car Mark. Very well done! Chevys not too shabby either .

Thanks, Tim. I really appreciate the feedback. I always wanted to do the Stroppe version of Rex's  63 Mercury but could never find a 63 merc kit.  So I finally decided to take a 64 kit and morph it into a 63. I just had to change the grille and the rear taillight panel. If I ever get the wip  links fixed you can see how I did it.

I have a quick NASCAR history question as these cars are a bit before my time, but they are the coolest in appearance by far. I know they removed the headlights and put in "dummy" covers to avoid broken glass in an accident. Did they run with normal tail lights? Or were they "dummied" too.

3 hours ago, r60man said:

I have a quick NASCAR history question as these cars are a bit before my time, but they are the coolest in appearance by far. I know they removed the headlights and put in "dummy" covers to avoid broken glass in an accident. Did they run with normal tail lights? Or were they "dummied" too.

John, they were metal covers too, but for some reason this car had its taillight covers painted red, so I can see why you posted the question. They look almost like taillight lenses. That's the Mercury, however the 57 chevy had real taillights. 

Edited by MarkJ