Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Rex White Mercury

MarkJ

Kit:  AMT 1964 Mercury Marauder

Paint: Model Master Italian red acryl, White acryl, and Artic blue metallic acryl with a little white added to make it a shade lighter.

Decals: My own created on my computer and printed on clear and white sheets. The clear sheets are testors and I purchased the white sheets from Micro Mark

This is the car that Rex raced at the 1963 Firecracker 400. It still had the Bill Stroppe colors for that race. After that he repainted it to his usual gold and white. I wanted to do this car because I always thought the Stroppe Mercury's looked awesome. Especially the 1963 version. This is the last car to do in my Rex White collection. It took 164 hours to complete. 11.5 of those hours were for the decals.

rex63m9_2.jpg

rex63m2_2.jpg

rex63m11_2.jpg

rex63m12_2.jpg

rex63m5_2.jpg

rex63m14_2.jpg

rex63m7_2.jpg

rex63m8_2.jpg

rex63m17_2.jpg

fin63rexmframe_2.jpg

rex63m19_2.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

Amazing build, one of the nicest vintage NASCARs I've ever seen, spot-on stance and detailing, and an absolutely exhaustive conversion from a '64 to a '63. My head is still spinning. To the left, that is.

Thank you so much, Mike. The kind words are much appreciated.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, dawgvet said:

Hey, I’d really love to see this build as I was fortunate enough to meet Rex a couple years ago. Super nice guy!

Jed, I don't know why the photos are not showing up. they are still at post image. maybe in a while they will work

4 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Thanks for adding the pictures! I was just about to ask since I missed them the first time around. This is incredible! Super, super build!

Thanks Rob. I remember what happened now. Postimage changed their address after I posted the original pictures so the links don't work anymore. They also don't work on the wip but I am trying to fix those just for my own info in the future if I want to see how I built it.