Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby shops in the Portland OR area

Travelling to the Portland area for work this week, and was wondering if anyone knew of an good hobby shops in the area. Google didn't turn up a whole lot of places that looked like they sold models, besides Hobbytown. Anything else. I would be willing to drive a little ways because I'll have time for sightseeing too.

I plan to try at least one of the several restaurants that have been featured on Diners,Drive-Ins, and Dives that are in the area.

Craig,

Tammies in Beaverton

Hobbytown in SE Portland (Happy Valley) - not the one in Wilsonville

Hillsboro Hobbies in Hillsboro

Coyote Hobbies in Oregon City

ASA Hobbies in Albany has old kits

These shops have a decent assortment of current kits and paints, but little aftermarket or old kits.

Frankly, I'd spend more time on your Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives list.  Micro breweries are big in Portland and most have great food with good prices.

Now for the interesting stuff - 

Beaches Cruise In  every Wednesday evening at Portland International Raceway thru the end of September - Average is about 600 cars, could be 200 if it rains or if it is over 100 degrees - on a good night late in September, it will be over 2000 cars.  Live music, Food is good there and it also includes the 1/8 mile grudge drag racing,  Hot Rods, Pre-1973 and Corvettes get in, outside parking and shuttle for the civilian cars.

World of Speed Museum in Wilsonville - Muscle cars are the featured display right now, but plenty of race cars as well, big collection of Mickey Thompson cars. Easily worth the short drive from Portland.

Hope you have a great trip and get a chance to look around

Craig,   If you get to Powell's Books, a great art supply store is a short walk away.  Blick Art has lots of things that can be used for building model cars - paints, markers, tools, materials....  Might have to check to see what is allowed on the airplane.  Powell's is at 10th and Burnside, Blick is at 11th and NW Glisan.  This is the alphabet district - the streets in order are Burnside, Couch, Davis, Everett, Flanders, Glisan.

Stay away from downtown Portland, it's weird 

Not a resident, just visited several times in the last few years. I think downtown and the Pearl district are wonderful. If nothing else for Powell's Book, Blick Art, Portland Art Museum and just hanging out at the park along the Willamette, bunch of good restaurants in the area also.

Would be more then happy to trade places to get out of the Phoenix area since I think it's weird.  

Isn't A Step Above (ASA) Hobbies in ALbany permanently closed?

They were thinking about closing at the end of last year, but reorganized and downsized a bit instead - they were open a couple of months ago.  It may be worth a phone call unless a person has other reasons to go thru Albany. 

------   update - Good catch Gerry, thank you for the follow-up, sometimes things change quickly and I was not up to date.. Their web site shows ASA in Albany closed the doors at the end of July.  They will be missed

Edited by Muncie

They were thinking about closing at the end of last year, but reorganized and downsized a bit instead - they were open a couple of months ago.  It may be worth a phone call unless a person has other reasons to go thru Albany. 

------   update - Good catch Gerry, thank you for the follow-up, sometimes things change quickly and I was not up to date.. Their web site shows ASA in Albany closed the doors at the end of July.  They will be missed

So I heard.  Mike Kerns of SABA spoke highly of them.  When I would head to the Portland area Bridgetown and Tammie's were my go to.  Now that we're moving to Camas I'll have to reorient what is around.  I have joined SABA, used to be a member of PSAMA.

So I heard.  Mike Kerns of SABA spoke highly of them.  When I would head to the Portland area Bridgetown and Tammie's were my go to.  Now that we're moving to Camas I'll have to reorient what is around.  I have joined SABA, used to be a member of PSAMA.

Bridgetown closed down and is now a Pot shop. (This was one of my favorite stores)

Speaking of SABA of which I am also a member. If your in town on the second Sunday of the month you could drop in on a meeting.

Bridgetown closed down and is now a Pot shop. (This was one of my favorite stores)

Speaking of SABA of which I am also a member. If your in town on the second Sunday of the month you could drop in on a meeting.

I know on Bridgetown.  It had a new owner when we were out in 2013 deciding on moving back to Puget Sound or to Southwest Washington.  Mike had already retired and sold to a new owner.  I really enjoyed coming down for events and stopping by there and Tammies to "load up".

We may be out for the  September meeting, too soon to tell.  The house is about a month to six weeks from completion.  This is a photo the realtor took a couple of days ago.

IMG_20170822_154027.jpg