Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Pair of Chevys - The Camaro

tmb727

Revell 69 Camaro Z28.

Paint:  Exterior is Testors Hugger Orange and Testors Ultra Gloss Clearcoat from the can.  Engine is Scalefinishes Chevy Engine Orange.

Aftermarket:  Plug wires, resin carbs, Fireball Modelworks white letter tire decals, Keith Marks decals for the scripts.

The kit decals were used for the stripes.  Originally, the plan was for white stripes.  Suffice to say, that didn't go very well.  socal76, if you are reading this, thanks again for the spare white stripes.  As you can see, they didn't go very well either.  So, in order to save the build, I cut the black stripes into segments for the hood to get them to lie down on the curves.  That finally produced acceptable results.

Oh, another fun disaster on this one.  Eagle eyes will notice the rear valence is not the kit's.  That's because I forgot about it when I washed it  and the body in the kitchen sink in preparation for primer and paint.  Down the disposal it went, which I found out about later that night after dinner...  So the piece on the model is a part of a valence from the spares box and sheet styrene.  Not perfect, but looks pretty good to me and, again, it saved the build.

Camaro_01_zps8d3ctqsy.jpg

Camaro_02_zpscsidnytk.jpg

Camaro_03_zpsmclpntsd.jpg

Camaro_04_zpsuurtnejc.jpg

Camaro_05_zpsrq2pgzyp.jpg

Camaro_06_zpsrc7ijfau.jpg

Camaro_09_zpsxulrw4no.jpg

Camaro_08_zpsnmd9urfr.jpg

Camaro_07_zpsk3eoaaxe.jpg

Camaro_10_zpsyklzdy8a.jpg

Camaro_11_zpsbv6ade5k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

The trick with 1G Camaro Z/28 stripes is to paint the cowl vent portion white or black* as needed. Don't even waste time trying to decal them. Then you can use decals for the rest of the striping.

*And, of course, orange for '69 Pace Cars.

Great detail work on this build. I like the fender cover for the Air Cleaner, little things like this really adds to the presentation. I also had the same decal problems and went thru a great deal of Sovaset to get them to lay down on the hood. The Orange still seemed to show thru the white also.