Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best 63 Vette coupe offeringin 1/25?

mademan

That issue of the '63 roadster was out shortly before the Presitige. It wasn't uncommon to see both kits on same shelf at the hobby shop. As mentioned, the non-Prestige didn't have the stock wheel covers (just the optional knock-off wheels), or the FI emblems, or the hard top, or one piece of the fuel injection system. I built one back in the day, and the coupe at the same time. Still have them both. (And a lot more, now....)

And yes, I think that issue of the roadster has the optional HT glass in it, but not the top itself. I have several of them and will be using them on various restos.

Modelhaus used to offer the hard top in resin. I bought one five or six years ago. But when I went to place my final order in July '16, they no longer had that part listed--and I checked for every year. Pity.

At the moment, I'm working on bringing back a glue-bomb '65 roadster that, under all the paint, has the cleanest, most pristine '65 body in the Snakepit--EXCEPT the hard top is glued on SOLID. If there were any way to pry or cut it off, I would have, but it's not budging. I could have saved either the top or the body, but not both, so I left it in place and am working around it. Original builder used so much glue that it actually deformed the windshield frame on one side. I had to grind that out, build the area back up with putty, and carefully shape, file, and sand the whole mess back to the contours of the windshield frame, top, and top border molding.

These pics don't do the carnage justice. I was several evenings of carefully filing and sanding with every tool in my box, but it's starting to look okay now.

AMT65VetteHT03.thumb.jpg.867ffa4058ccca1

AMT65VetteHT12.thumb.jpg.2e8f9e6aaee3a3f

I'd removed the windshield before those pics were taken--surprisingly, it came right out. The back glass came out too, later. The windshield was almost as glue-boogered as the back glass, but, almost unbelievably, I was able to sand and polish it out to where I can use it again. Doesn't look like I can save the back glass--the damage is too deep. Lucky for the "spares" in that later kit issue.

On a rebuild like this, I try to use as many original parts as possible, but sometimes you gotta go to a parts kit.

AMT65VetteHT07.thumb.jpg.78fc3b29a51ff05

Okay, had a chance to compare three pristine bodies: Prestige, the "Legendary Classic" issue shown above, and an original unbuilt '67 roadster.

Except for the FI emblem on the fender, the LC and Prestige bodies are identical. So is the original '67 until you look closely. The latch dealies on the deck lid are better engraved in the newer kits, and the sun visors are different. And, as shown above, the top of the windshield frame is different, too, but you're not likely to notice it with the naked eye unless you try to fit a new top to an old body, or vice versa.

The new hard top fits so that it covers up the top bar of the windshield frame. The old top leaves part of the frame showing. The '67's panel wagon top fits the '67 pretty well, but would take some tweaking to fit the new bodies.

On the inside, the molding pattern is similar but different between the '67 and the newer bodies.

I don't know if the whole body is new, or if they just did a new top (horizontal) mold to fit the original sides (vertical mold pieces). But I did notice that the front turn signals are a bit better between the new bodies and the old annuals.

Very interesting!

Yes. They're all from the same basic molds that go back to 1962.

Pretty sure Ertl tooled a new convertible body for the late Eighties issues...tops don't readily interchange between annual convertible kits and the later body.

Okay, had a chance to compare three pristine bodies: Prestige, the "Legendary Classic" issue shown above, and an original unbuilt '67 roadster.

Except for the FI emblem on the fender, the LC and Prestige bodies are identical. So is the original '67 until you look closely. The latch dealies on the deck lid are better engraved in the newer kits, and the sun visors are different. And, as shown above, the top of the windshield frame is different, too, but you're not likely to notice it with the naked eye unless you try to fit a new top to an old body, or vice versa.

The new hard top fits so that it covers up the top bar of the windshield frame. The old top leaves part of the frame showing. The '67's panel wagon top fits the '67 pretty well, but would take some tweaking to fit the new bodies.

On the inside, the molding pattern is similar but different between the '67 and the newer bodies.

I don't know if the whole body is new, or if they just did a new top (horizontal) mold to fit the original sides (vertical mold pieces). But I did notice that the front turn signals are a bit better between the new bodies and the old annuals.

Very interesting!

Looked at the reissue '63 roadster I have in the "Legendary Classic" box with the red car on it. The body in mine has the Fuel Injection engraving on the front fenders. It's molded in that typical Ertl beige/gray color plastic...my Prestige kits are in white so it should be original to the kit and not swapped out. Possible it was made both ways depending on when the kit was molded.

Okay. Time for my two cents on this issue. I love '63 Corvettes. Especially the split window coupes. I have several of both the Revell and AMT kits. It's tough for me to pick one as being better than the other.

The AMT coupe is still one of my all time favorite kits. I don't mind it's primitive, lack of detail chassis. I like that it represents a car with fuel injection, a four-speed transmission, and aluminum wheels. And the completed model looks good to me. The lines look right. I love it.

Recently, in the last year or two, I decided I want to build an AMT '63 convertible to match my Revell roadsters. Since I had both the AMT and Revell coupes for comparison. I felt I needed the roadsters too. I sought out the AMT Prestige version, because unlike other reissues of AMT's roadster, it had stock wheel covers rather than aluminum wheels. I love the aluminum wheels. But one AMT '63 with them is enough for me. Again, like AMT's coupe, the convertible represents a car with fuel injection and four-speed. And I liked that the kit came with both tops. The chassis looks like the same one in the coupe kit to me. I don't know the history of the body. But, it looks very good to my eye.

As far the Revell 63's. Both the coupe and convertible build into beautiful models. There are only curbsides. But, that's okay with me. They represent cars without fuel injection. They also represent cars with a Powerglide transmission and air conditioning. And the stock versions have wheel covers rather than aluminum wheels. This is okay with me. This probably the way I'd want my Corvettes to be equipped in real life.

As far as slipping Revell's '67 Corvette chassis under these cars. First you need to know the '67 big block Corvette roadster is my all time favorite Corvette. Followed by the '63 split-window coupe. The Revell chassis will have more detail. But, it's set up to accommodate the big block engine. And represents a chassis with disc brakes. Though the Revell chassis really does not show any brake detail. The two Revell 67's (coupe and roaster) are both very nice kits to build. Again, I love them. But, how often do I flip my cars over to look at chassis? Not enough for me to justify modifying either AMT's or Revell's 63's. But, that's just me.

So picking a favorite '63 coupe model? Both look great when built. But, which represents your fantasy Vette? AMT's with fuel injection, a four-speed transmission, and aluminum wheels? Or Revell's with a Powerglide transmission, air conditioning, and wheel covers? Can't decide like me? Buy both. Or like some of us, buy several.

Edited by unclescott58

By the way, the early AMT roadsters had the rotating headlamps as many have noted. I don't think I've ever actually seen a early kit with this feature. I know it existed. I've just never seen it. Does anybody have any photos showing this feature both opened and closed? I can imagine in 1/25 scale it may not have worked to well, or looked all that good? I hope I'm wrong on that.

By the way, the early AMT roadsters had the rotating headlamps as many have noted. I don't think I've ever actually seen a early kit with this feature. I know it existed. I've just never seen it. Does anybody have any photos showing this feature both opened and closed? I can imagine in 1/25 scale it may not have worked to well, or looked all that good? I hope I'm wrong on that.

Here's some pics.

The feature looks convincing enough, but the gaps between the headlight doors and body are out of scale, and once assembled I found they're pretty difficult to operate.  Not a feature I miss on the reissues.       

001.JPG

002.JPG

I've got one bought as a glue bomb. I was able to carefully cut the glued-in buckets away from the body and they should be usable, but I only have one of the headlight assemblies, but I should be able to sili-clone it no problem. The big problem with that body is that someone hogged out all four wheels openings and of course butchered the rockers, so that would all have to be rebuilt. Ironically, the windshield frame is in perfect shape, which is pretty rare in old glue bomb Sting Rays.

By happy coincidence, I have another original '63 body which was a coupe someone cut the whole top off of. It's pretty decent otherwise. I might try to Snakineer some way to graft the whole sides of that body onto the '63 roadster to make one good restorable '63R body with exposed headlights. As I hate waste, I'd then probably use what's left of the ex-coupe body with some scratchbuilt sides and rockers to make some kind of custom. Lord Knows I got plenty of extra '63-'67 custom parts of various sorts to use up--hoods, side exhausts, taillights, grilles, and so forth.

I don't have a pic of the original roadster body, but here's the topless coupe that might end up the body donor for it:

VetteAMT66Speedster07.thumb.jpg.e9042be6

Here's some pics.

The feature looks convincing enough, but the gaps between the headlight doors and body are out of scale, and once assembled I found they're pretty difficult to operate.  Not a feature I miss on the reissues.       

001.JPG

002.JPG

Looks better than I would have expected. Thanks for showing it. I hope there are others out there that we can also see.