Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Pens not Shiny

I have a problem with the Molotow pens. They are not as shiny, like chrome as I had expected. I'm getting a finish more like a good quality silver paint. Maybe it's my application technique or do they need a certain base coat first. How many coats are required. Thanks.

Dennis

I've gotten a fantastic chrome finish with one coat.  Make sure your surface is reasonably smooth and give it one good coat.  And for the love of all that's holy, let it dry for several days before you even think of touching it.  I've got a couple of test parts that are beautifully chrome.

I have found that if I do not shake it well before I use it, the finish is more silver than chrome. I get good results and it is often hard to tell where I have touched up chrome pieces (as long as I have shaken the pen well).

Somebody in here told me not to bother with a base coat when using Molotow pens.  That seems to be true.  I recently used one to chrome some headlight buckets, then some exhaust tips on a different kit. I base-coated the headlights with Tamiya Gloss Black acrylic, over grey plastic.  With the exhaust tips I didn't bother. Just used the pen directly on white plastic.  I can't see any difference in the two.

• Like 1

The ink is dense; with the pen you need to keep the area wet with the ink as you apply it...with just a little practice it can look almost like liquid mylar when applying it. It doesn't need any sort of special undercoat, it is a completely different animal than Alclad or Spaz Stix chrome products, or also Sharpies when it comes to manipulating the pen. The fine tip 1 mm Molotow pen is the only one I really like using as a pen; the 2 and 4 mm sizes paint areas large enough that I'd rather run the Molotow ink through my airbrush...which is pretty amazing in itself. Regardless of application, let it dry thoroughly for 24-48 hours, as it gets pretty durable after that time.

• Like 1

The ink is dense; with the pen you need to keep the area wet with the ink as you apply it...with just a little practice it can look almost like liquid mylar when applying it. It doesn't need any sort of special undercoat, it is a completely different animal than Alclad or Spaz Stix chrome products, or also Sharpies when it comes to manipulating the pen. The fine tip 1 mm Molotow pen is the only one I really like using as a pen; the 2 and 4 mm sizes paint areas large enough that I'd rather run the Molotow ink through my airbrush...which is pretty amazing in itself. Regardless of application, let it dry thoroughly for 24-48 hours, as it gets pretty durable after that time.

what tip size did you spray it with? and what pressure

• 2 weeks later...

A coupke of days ago I tried for the first time the use of these pens through the airbrush and the results are incredible. In the airbruah cup, it actually looked like a melted chrome bar...As in a YouTube video of a Chinese modeler, I just added a little bit of 90% alcohol and shooted it under the hot sun of my Puerto Rico...It turned out great and cleaning for my surprise was more easy than with paint...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

20170829_150207.jpg

20170829_152620-1.jpg

20170829_152642.jpg

• 5 years later...

I also have had same problem with molotow coming out silver. As far as my 1mm I just replaced the tip, that I purchased from Amazon, I did not have a new tip for my 2mm so I soaked it a few min. In some alcohol. Cleaned it off than few good shakes and pumps, it stated working again. 

I bought a 1mm pen a couple years ago... and for the first project I used it on, it delivered fantastic results. I was blown away!

But, next time I went to use it, the tip had apparently clogged as it would no longer flow...

That's why I don't use them anymore. At that price I don't want to worry that it will quit working almost immediately.

I tried cleaning the tip by soaking it in 99% Alcahol to no joy.

I just use Alclad and other things now days. Though I Have something to post up later folks might like.