Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion Two Drum Roller Complete!

Finally got the Galion done tonite.  Did a very little bit of weathering, as I am lousy at such, applied the final details, and greased the drive system, which actually works.   If you turn the pinion gear the compression roll turns, and was one of the hardest things to do on this build.  Should have left the doors closed!  I applied some decals and such, and decided to put my own fictitious company name on it, Readsboro Heavy Haulers, a combination heavy hauling and construction company.  The White 3000 tractor that will tow this around has a hand painted name on it that I did 30 years ago and I found it impossible to replicate. So the lettering on the truck will also be changed.  I will either reprint the door panels on the truck white with my decals or do a repaint of the whole cab. Seems like I am real good at taking two steps forward and five in reverse!  But this build was a giant step out of my comfort zone and was super fun.  Anyways this old girl is done!

IMG_4561.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

The gear grease surprised me ... cool!

It all came out looking great. I didn't realize the hauler was so old that you showed in the WIP.

The whole setup deserves a shelf at your shop as I believe your customers will appreciate it. :D

I wish I had the skills to weather my builds, but I don't so I usually go with just a bit of dust/rust/oil etc. The grease is actually a bit of a necessity as the gears actually work so this way they stay lubed.  Gotta keep the equipment maintained! This was my first attempt at a complete scratch build. It was actually easier than I figured it would be. I just may try a small paver, in my next lifetime! 

I wish I had the skills to weather my builds, but I don't so I usually go with just a bit of dust/rust/oil etc. The grease is actually a bit of a necessity as the gears actually work so this way they stay lubed.  Gotta keep the equipment maintained! This was my first attempt at a complete scratch build. It was actually easier than I figured it would be. I just may try a small paver, in my next lifetime! 

A paver just off the job ... covered with bituminous!

Weathering is pretty cool if you just consider how it all got there. For rust and such I just consider where it would collect water and how long it's been out there. Just thinned washes run down the model like rain and the thinness of the wash lets you apply in many light coats.

Asphalt would be thicker, maybe black wash with fine sand mixed in. I'd try an India Ink wash and sand ... maybe would need a little Elmers glue for stickiness.

A paver just off the job ... covered with bituminous!

Weathering is pretty cool if you just consider how it all got there. For rust and such I just consider where it would collect water and how long it's been out there. Just thinned washes run down the model like rain and the thinness of the wash lets you apply in many light coats.

Asphalt would be thicker, maybe black wash with fine sand mixed in. I'd try an India Ink wash and sand ... maybe would need a little Elmers glue for stickiness.

After having spent so much time and effort building, and REbuilding after I screwed it up, I don't have the gonads to even TRY to do the weathering you describe, though your advice is spot on. I know how to figure WHAT it should look like and where, as I have worked with trucks and equipment for my whole life, I just don't have the skills to do it. And I don't dare try doing it for fear of ending up with a blob! Actually, the rollers didn't get a lot of asphalt on them, except for tiny bits on the scrapers and matts. Equipment like this does get weathered pretty heavily though, and rain pools here and there, as well as oils. One of my jobs when I worked for Maxymillian was to refurbish equipment every winter. I would open the shop right after Halloween, and run it until the end of April. I had an average of 5 or 6 painters/ bodymen/ sandblasters and 2 or 3 welders working for me there. We would run about 100 trucks and pieces of equipment through the shop each winter, some simply getting a five gallon overhaul, and others getting major work done to them such as rust repairs, accident damage, modifications, and simply wear and tear damage repaired such as welding repairs on dump bodies. The end result, is that my preference is for equipment that appears as though it just recently came out of my paint shop! (That is a convenient way to say I don't DARE try weathering them!!!!!).

ehhe  .. I get what you're saying. Still, the pictures in your head are all the research you need. And, model weathering is just imagining a material that will replicate ..

And, with this beautiful truck, trailer and roller, you can take a break!  :D  Hunting season is approaching ..

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...