Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Ultimate General Lee build

Photos to be posted soon. I wanted to put everything I could into the ultimate build, and this one took me about three years of on-and-off work. Seriously.

MY G.L. BUILD PHILOSOPHY

My main criticism of most GL builds is that they are 'way too immaculate to be an in-use back-roads racing car driven by good-ol-boys on a farm. They always look...well, sterilized comes to mind. Absolutely gorgeous, like they're going for the trophy at a car show, with a car that's never driven except on and off a trailer. Not this one!!

-Interior: Agree with many that the darker brown "saddle" color of the earlier series looks better, but a darker interior will hide most great detail. So, cliche though it is, I went with the light tan. HOWEVER I weathered it plenty, with very stained floor carpeting, and some wear on the seats. Scratchbuilt items are a CB radio and a detailed, padded-looking roll bar with tape around the padding.

-Engine Bay: Despite most builds painting the engine bay interior orange, indicating a total engine-out restoration, the actual "Hero" Generals had their engine bays hastily painted black around the engine. This would also fit with the storyline of the original color being black. 

Additionally, I sanded out all the molded on wiring and scratchbuilt the entire engine wiring and detail. When you see these photos you may be shocked. I know I am....not eager to do this again, although it was worth it!!

-Underside: Dark primer gray with orange overspray indicating a home-done paint job. Lots wear and some general rusting, with a ton of dust and dirt oversprayed. 

So much more involved in this build, but those are some of the basic philosophies I followed on this.

Engine and Engine bay. Replaced Fan belt pullys and belt with aftermarket. Sanded out most detail in engine bay for an insane scratchbuilding job. Again, the bay is black since the "Hero" Generals in the series usually had their bays hastily sprayed black around the engine, plus it would match the storyline of the original color being black and the Dukes painting it after the engine was installed. 

2IpWYoJ.jpg

DxC1Gib.jpg

EkGRmxZ.jpg

B9rZWHc.jpg

fQRu9X7.jpg

BmKtQKG.jpg

RuUBZyv.jpg

rIN6WVu.jpg

OiHfMUJ.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Here, the windshield and other window glass has been tinted with future and food coloring:

GRGxfmE.jpg

Scratchbuilt Roll Bar has been made to look like it's padded with tape holding on the padding:

51BwAUF.jpg

SBO3AAr.jpg

And, the interior, including Photoetched steering wheel spokes, scratchbult CB radio, heavily stained flocking for carpeting:

Fjif7R2.jpg

K0Pq7oQ.jpg

4VWhmKS.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

Well it looks like you just raised the bar for engine wiring. That food coloring in Future is a great idea for window tint, I'll be trying that on my next build. I also like the interior treatment, a little on the cushy side for the subject, but very nice all the same.  Look forward to following this build.

Thanks everyone!

Next batch here. Soaked all the bumper/grill bits in bleach to remove the chrome. Cleaned up the imperfections on both, and removed the grill from its surround. Used the same passenger-side grill section from another kit to use on the left side since no Charger emblem should be there. Refinished with Alclad II on the bumpers and trim, flat aluminum on the grill tunnels, lots of drybrushing etc on the grill once sprayed flat black, and semigloss on the middle sections where the non-headlight sections are. Scratchbuilt narrow-style push bar.

YI2E4iL.jpg

8fbWQGz.jpg

nZu9EPP.jpg

HlFuoXw.jpg

Bhvkokf.jpg

2mPLkeL.jpg