Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Disappointments of Online Buying

I figure this is the place for this complaint. If not, my apologies.

A week or so ago I ordered an Italeri M923A1 "Big Foot" truck (kit no. 279) from Buffalo Road Imports. The listing marked the kit as new stock of a discontinued kit - at a good price too, so I jumped on it.
It came in the mail today, and upon opening it, there was an immediate problem - the kit had been somewhat assembled already. The box didn't have it's shrinkwrap and was slightly damaged (both of which I could live with) but the frame assembly had been started, with a frame laying on top of the trees in the box. The bench seat and front bumper were also loose in the box, and the instructions had large, yellowed glue stains on them - as did the frame. 

Upon further inspection, I discovered that the engine and transmission assembly had been mounted upside down in the frame - and judging by the other parts, and the detail, I'm fairly certain I won't be able to flip it the right way.

Needless to say, I'm pretty unhappy with the situation - and composing an email to Buffalo Road Imports as soon as I get this post out there. I'll update if they fix the issue - but I'm dubious of trusting them, especially if they offer an exchange. For now, it's a waste of $40.

Edited by Dieselhead

Sorry you got taken, so far. I wish you luck getting a refund.

I've bought models that were supposedly "new stock of a discontinued kit" from people who were non-modelers, and often, they simply can't tell by looking if a kit has been started or not...or they just dishonestly try to pass off crapp as gold. Hard to believe in the first case, not so hard in the second...and 100% true.

This is one of the main reasons I prefer to buy through Ebay, if I can find what I'm looking for. Their refund policy is outstanding, and for well over 2000 transactions now, I haven't lost a cent...though I HAVE had around 10 problems, all of which were almost immediately resolved. Nevertheless, a lot of people seem to hate Ebay and PayPal, and that's their right.

That said, the Italeri kit you mention is currently available from Ebay sellers, one at exactly the $40 price you mention (with FREE SHIPPING).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It would be a disservice to not finish out the story, so here goes; after emailing Buffalo Road, they said that the incomplete kit was sent to me by mistake, and that they would ship out a new kit free of charge and let me keep the parts one. Great! It arrived today, and was exactly what I wanted; a brand new box, still in its shrinkwrap, with parts neatly bagged inside undisturbed. It was here quickly and there was no wheeling and dealing to get it resolved. Overall I'm satisfied - they owned up to a mistake and rectified it and that's all we would really want in this situation.

I'll be building this one soon, see you guys On The Workbench!

Edited by Dieselhead

• 1 month later...

Sorry you got taken, so far. I wish you luck getting a refund.

I've bought models that were supposedly "new stock of a discontinued kit" from people who were non-modelers, and often, they simply can't tell by looking if a kit has been started or not...or they just dishonestly try to pass off crapp as gold. Hard to believe in the first case, not so hard in the second...and 100% true.

This is one of the main reasons I prefer to buy through Ebay, if I can find what I'm looking for. Their refund policy is outstanding, and for well over 2000 transactions now, I haven't lost a cent...though I HAVE had around 10 problems, all of which were almost immediately resolved. Nevertheless, a lot of people seem to hate Ebay and PayPal, and that's their right.

That said, the Italeri kit you mention is currently available from Ebay sellers, one at exactly the $40 price you mention (with FREE SHIPPING).

Bill, I too have inherited , so to speak a treasure trove of old AMT annuals . Sadly , I have two AMT 1964 Corvettes that are missing parts . I MAY be able to scrap together ONE car if I go on line and by a 63 for the tail lamps , grille and a set of wheels . . Same goes for a 1963 Chevrolet Apache truck . I'm going back on Face Book and offering what I bought in a post concerning several kits and warn the buyers NOT to be too dissapointed .....

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought models that were supposedly "new stock of a discontinued kit" from people who were non-modelers...

Ha! On-topic for the scale anyway...on eBay years ago I won an original 1/35 scale Peerless-Max Dodge WC-54 Ambulance.  (It had a stretcher crew and casualty figures, which were removed for the later ITALERI re-issues.)  Advertised as "mint & complete but open, in original box." When it arrived, it was missing ALL the chassis and suspension parts, tires & wheels etc. 

The seller apologized, saying he "knew nothing about models." He just looked in the box, saw some parts and assumed it was complete.  He refunded my money and told me to keep the kit.

Lesson learned, and that's why I quoted Bill, for the "non-modelers" part.  It was a long time ago, but that experience taught me to take a closer look at listings.  If the seller was listing a bunch of non-model related stuff, that was a tip-off that they probably weren't a Model Person. So I'd often message them and make sure the kit was as described.  But if the seller was listing all model kits, that was also an indication that they most likely knew what they were selling.

I bought the AMT 1970 Chevy Impala Fire Chief version on eBay, received it and all of the parts that made that version were gone... lights, decals etc.  Pretty much just a car just like the ones I was buying at shows for $10 each back then.  

Seller was a jerk, said  "it was complete when it left here"   accusing me of removing the parts and then trying to return it.  I pointed out that I couldn't find any of those parts in the pictures he posted.  I don't remember if I got any compensation but I still have that kit.  Guess I paid for the box art, and it is on display on the top shelf above my work bench.