Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's the completed build up for Moebius, while I was putting this together I discovered a few small things that needed tweaked. I believe Dave has it all resolved now and it should be ready for production very soon. I have my fingers crossed that they'll be shipping these before the Holidays.

2v2ucjRhCxvL75L.jpg

2v2ucjP6FxvL75L.jpg

2v2ucjkFnxvL75L.jpg

2v2ucjii5xvL75L.jpg

2v2ucf5YNxvL75L.jpg

In the future I would like to see some more appropriate all terrain tires added to the kit. Regardless, I think ‘70 Ford F-100 4x4 pickup is a welcome addition to the Moebius Truck line up.  I can’t wait to see what other modelers will do with it.

-Steve

Thanks for posting Steve, that looks great! Did they remove the lower rocker trim from this kit? 

I agree on the tires, I think Danny at Scenes Unlimited has some nice lugger tires that would look appropriate on this kit.

Nice to see this addition to the Moebius line, will look good next to the Revell Bronco for some period correct 4x4's.

Thanks for posting Steve, that looks great! Did they remove the lower rocker trim from this kit? 

I agree on the tires, I think Danny at Scenes Unlimited has some nice lugger tires that would look appropriate on this kit.

Nice to see this addition to the Moebius line, will look good next to the Revell Bronco for some period correct 4x4's.

Mike, I removed the lower body trim, it was very easy to do. I just sanded it off with some sanding sticks. 

-Steve

I  always look forward to your fantastic box-stock builds, Steve B)

looks like moeb also improved the rear diff along with the front axle tooling

mike

Thanks Mike !!  It's the same basic rear axle, different mounts to the spring.  The F-100 use blocks to raise the rear ride height to match the front.

Love it! I'd have to echo that my only gripe would be with the pavement-friendly tires, but as has been pointed out, many alternatives are available. Although going by factory photos, tires like what Moebius uses seemed to have been the standard, with all-terrains being an option. Love the color you chose for it, combined with the subtle dechroming! Gives the truck a classy look but isn't "in your face". 

We all know the story on the hubcaps Moebius used so I won't go over all of that again, but I'll add this. The "Type 4" hubcaps were never offered from the factory with a cutout for the 4WD hubs. 4x4s ordered with these hubcaps came with the caps on the rear wheels only. But many people did (and do) cut out the centers of these caps for hub clearance, and I want to say that there was an aftermarket knock-off version that was sold with an open center to clear a 4WD hub, but such a cap was never factory issue. So... it wouldn't be factory-stock if you're hung up on that, but it wouldn't be unrealistic either. :)

Before they closed I got several sets of the correct type dogdish hubcaps used on the F-100's from Modelhaus. For my future F-100 builds. I had a 1:1 1977 Ford F-250 highboy that I cut the centers out of for the locking hubs like the ones that come in the Moebius kits. 

Love it! I'd have to echo that my only gripe would be with the pavement-friendly tires, but as has been pointed out, many alternatives are available. Although going by factory photos, tires like what Moebius uses seemed to have been the standard, with all-terrains being an option. Love the color you chose for it, combined with the subtle dechroming! Gives the truck a classy look but isn't "in your face". 

We all know the story on the hubcaps Moebius used so I won't go over all of that again, but I'll add this. The "Type 4" hubcaps were never offered from the factory with a cutout for the 4WD hubs. 4x4s ordered with these hubcaps came with the caps on the rear wheels only. But many people did (and do) cut out the centers of these caps for hub clearance, and I want to say that there was an aftermarket knock-off version that was sold with an open center to clear a 4WD hub, but such a cap was never factory issue. So... it wouldn't be factory-stock if you're hung up on that, but it wouldn't be unrealistic either. :)

Thanks Chuck !!  Trying to find 1:1 examples of F-100 4x4's that didn't sport full modern aftermarket tires and wheels and or lift kits was pretty tough.  I did manage to find a few, here's a 71 F-100 4x4 with the hub caps in question.   It looks pretty original to me. 

2v2uAhJfyxvL75L.jpg

Maybe they were dealer installed or aftermarket accessory items like you mentioned.  My goal was to simply show what could be done with the kit based on the parts given to me.   I could have easily left the wheels open but it was my choice to use them.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned the modern battery that's in all the F-100 kits.  Go figure ...  

-Steve

Thanks Chuck !!  Trying to find 1:1 examples of F-100 4x4's that didn't sport full modern aftermarket tires and wheels and or lift kits was pretty tough.  I did manage to find a few, here's a 71 F-100 4x4 with the hub caps in question.   It looks pretty original to me. 

2v2uAhJfyxvL75L.jpg

Maybe they were dealer installed or aftermarket accessory items like you mentioned.  My goal was to simply show what could be done with the kit based on the parts given to me.   I could have easily left the wheels open but it was my choice to use them.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned the modern battery that's in all the F-100 kits.  Go figure ...  

-Steve

The 16" split rims on that white 4x4 indicate that it's actually an F250, Steve.

... and yes, the battery does seem a little oversized in the kit  :P 

You certainly met your goal and did excellent work with what was there. 

mike

The 16" split rims on that white 4x4 indicate that it's actually an F250, Steve.

... and yes, the battery does seem a little oversized in the kit  :P 

You certainly met your goal and did excellent work with what was there. 

mike

You are correct Mike. If you enlarge the image you will see Ford 250 on the hood emblem. The split rims you mentioned and the larger lock out hubs.. 

Dennis

-Steve

Yep, they're aftermarket or modified Type 4 caps. Not at all uncommon. I'm not surprised finding a simple base model factory photo was difficult to find- Ford wanted you to buy the high-trim, high-option model. I think all the photos of base 4x4s in "Ford Trucks Since 1905" show them with full wheel covers or no wheel coverings at all, but I'll have to check. But- the picture proves that Type 4 hubcaps with the cutout do exist in real life, and thus are 100% correct unless you want to build the truck as "showroom". They look good that way and I don't blame you for wanting to use them. :)

Wasn't going to say anything about the battery, but somebody mentioned it  ... I can live with that. I wouldn't want a '70-vintage battery in 2017, and I'm not the kind of guy who'd shell out the money for a reproduction battery. I'm guessing the guy who's truck Moebius used for reference felt the same way. I think most people would be OK slapping an Autolite decal on the kit battery and calling it good. :D I'm guessing the aftermarket guys who cater to '60's drag subjects might have something more appropriate for a period-style battery, or you could rework what's there. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before they closed I got several sets of the correct type dogdish hubcaps used on the F-100's from Modelhaus.  

I've talked to Danny at Scenes Unlimited about offering the correct F100 hubcaps. Sent photos of them,  hopefully he can get them into production soon. 67-72 F 100's used the same style caps.

IMG_5330.JPG

Edited by leafsprings