Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2017

niteowl7710

Finally the ice has broken on what the companies are planning to release this fall, as news is starting to roll out on the planned 4Q Japanese releases.  We've known about Tamiya's plans to do the AMG GT GT3 car for a few weeks, but now it's time to look beyond that into the other companies.  It seems both Aoshima and Rocket Model (the new company put together by the former head of Aoshima's International Sales team) are being coy about all their upcoming kits because of NDAs, so I'll update this as necessary.

Hasegawa - 

Well this didn't take long did it?

10486690b.thumb.jpg.e120b1cd25c280fa854a

Slated for October there are the requisite flares, new wheels, grilles, and square tail light parts to convert the 2002 to 1974 spec.

10486690a.thumb.jpg.0ce7ca57db9e9f41469810486690a2.thumb.jpg.692d2766f595f5e586710486690a3.thumb.jpg.eaa3f01b74f736e945f10486690a4.thumb.jpg.aff1454ee2ecce063f9

In the files of JDM Historical compact cars I've long wondered why there was no 1/24 kit of this, but that's soon to be rectified.

10486694a.thumb.jpg.292b6037b50989668d22

Also another version of the Suzuki Jimny tooling, because at this point why not? This represents the 1987 JA-71 variation

10486719b.thumb.jpg.430de57a34c68bbcd66f10486719a.thumb.jpg.9199457a8cba66195a44

Also from Hasegawa as reissues in the quarter - 

Lamborghini Muira P400 SV Chassis Restoration #5030 - much like the Jade one done earlier this is another representation of Lamborghini's Factory Restoration work, this time on a Gold Muira. Kit molded in Gold

BMW 318i - This is the street version of this kit which hasn't been seen for awhile - Molded in Metallic Blue

Jaguar XJ-S V12 - This is the street version (as opposed to the recently reissued TWR Race version) of this kit which was last reissued in 2002. Molded in "Wine Red" (which is how the original kit was done in 1984).

Mazda Cosmo & Toyota 2000GT with period resin female figures - each kit sold separately, each with a different 60's mini skirt wearing Japanese lady.

Subaru 360 1964 Japan Grand Prix T-1 Class Winner - this is another long ago and far away reissue as the kit has a resin engine cover and a handful of other race specific parts.

21167494_10156380888158943_7841829240647

The Hustler & Prius are 1/32 Snap-Tite kits.  The one all new kit being shown on this flyer is the Toyota NCP 160V, coming in two specs. An upmarket mini-van, and a commercial van. Beyond that automotively speaking is the all new tool Asurada GSX from the Anime Series "Cyber Formula".  There are also a series of reissues of cars in "The Model Car" line - the factory stock Nissans & Toyotas, the "Tuned Model Car" which are obviously the "tuner" and "VIP" vehicles beside them as well as the additional wheel sets which will be reissued in groups of 4 in October, November & December (top to bottom).  There isn't a lot to be terribly excited about here, but again this flyer was put out with commentary that more new product would be announced at the show - presumably for the 1Q of 2018 - since the next major trade show is Shizouka in May.

Edited by niteowl7710

Thanks for the update. Hopefully Aoshima does keep up the pace with exciting kits.  After all the Lambos and the Pagani, it seems that their focus currently is on Japanese-centric stuff.

Edited by BVC500

Thanks for the info.  If my old eyes aren't failing me, I see some 1/32 scale 40-foot shipping containers.  Useful for junkyard dioramas, 1/35 scale modern military dioramas, etc.  I have the  ancient ESCI 1/32 scale container, so I wonder if these are new.

And speaking of ancient...in the bottom left-hand corner, that looks like the 1/50 scale Japanese National Railways EF-60 Electric Locomotive!  I think those kits were originally done by Entex back in the early 1970s.  They did a whole series of 1/50 scale Japanese locomotives, which have been re-issued thru the years by ARII/Otaki and Aoshima.  They seem pretty popular on eBay, though just a little too weird for me.  And I like weird stuff. 

Any idea what the wild supercar in the top right of the Aoshima flyer below the Probox is?  Labeled 'G.S.X.' and 1/24th.   Maybe something from anime or manga?    Also thought I saw a neat orange roller/paver machine in one of these posts, but it wasn't 1/24th. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Any idea what the wild supercar in the top right of the Aoshima flyer below the Probox is?  Labeled 'G.S.X.' and 1/24th.   Maybe something from anime or manga?    Also thought I saw a neat orange roller/paver machine in one of these posts, but it wasn't 1/24th. 

Yeah it's the Asurada GSX from the Anime Series "Cyber Formula".  All new tooling, plus they're reissuing a bunch of the other kits in the series. The Asphalt Vibrator is 1/35 from Hasegawa to match those tracked bucket excavators.

Thanks for the info.  If my old eyes aren't failing me, I see some 1/32 scale 40-foot shipping containers.  Useful for junkyard dioramas, 1/35 scale modern military dioramas, etc.  I have the  ancient ESCI 1/32 scale container, so I wonder if these are new.

And speaking of ancient...in the bottom left-hand corner, that looks like the 1/50 scale Japanese National Railways EF-60 Electric Locomotive!  I think those kits were originally done by Entex back in the early 1970s.  They did a whole series of 1/50 scale Japanese locomotives, which have been re-issued thru the years by ARII/Otaki and Aoshima.  They seem pretty popular on eBay, though just a little too weird for me.  And I like weird stuff. 

Both of those are newer tooling from Aoshima.  The 40' Shipping Container in 1/32 was done earlier, this is just a stack of 3 of them in one box.  The train is 1/45 scale, not 1/50th, and is the 2nd in this new series of trains from Aoshima. The first was a JNR DD51 Hokutosei, this is a modified reissue to update to a later paint scheme with some new parts appropriate to that.  It's 1,200 pieces!  Aoshima does own, or have access to the 1/50 Entex trains as they've released them in the past, but again these are new and bigger.

Edited by niteowl7710

Both of those are newer tooling from Aoshima.  The 40' Shipping Container in 1/32 was done earlier, this is just a stack of 3 of them in one box.  The train is 1/45 scale, not 1/50th, and is the 2nd in this new series of trains from Aoshima. The first was a JNR DD51 Hokutosei, this is a modified reissue to update to a later paint scheme with some new parts appropriate to that.  It's 1,200 pieces!  Aoshima does own, or have access to the 1/50 Entex trains as they've released them in the past, but again these are new and bigger.

I think we're talking about 2 different trains.  I see the 1/45 scale modern train in the middle of the flyer.  But way down on the bottom left, I also see a loco in 1/50th scale that looks like the older EF series.

The Japanese produce a lot of interesting kits. That's for sure. But, I stay away from a lot of them because in a lots of cases they offer no way of building with the steering on the left. I'd love the Civic posted above. But, can it built as a version we drove over here? If not, I'll be passing on that to add to my collection.

The Japanese produce a lot of interesting kits. That's for sure. But, I stay away from a lot of them because in a lots of cases they offer no way of building with the steering on the left. I'd love the Civic posted above. But, can it built as a version we drove over here? If not, I'll be passing on that to add to my collection.

That used to bug me too. Not any more; I realize the RHD models I have built never "call attention" to their driving position. I also see many Japanese-market cars at our local car shows now that the 25 year rule is in effect, allowing importation of cars never seen here before. It's pretty cool. I have no problem w/the Civic being RHD, but if you study the actual dash design, it won't be that hard to convert...if the aftermarket doesn't accommodate. 

I think we're talking about 2 different trains.  I see the 1/45 scale modern train in the middle of the flyer.  But way down on the bottom left, I also see a loco in 1/50th scale that looks like the older EF series.

Yes, that one is a spot reissue.

Ahhh blind me didn't see that there were two trains on that flyer. But yes I believe that would be one of the original 1/50 tools from ye oldern days. 

That used to bug me too. Not any more; I realize the RHD models I have built never "call attention" to their driving position. I also see many Japanese-market cars at our local car shows now that the 25 year rule is in effect, allowing importation of cars never seen here before. It's pretty cool. I have no problem w/the Civic being RHD, but if you study the actual dash design, it won't be that hard to convert...if the aftermarket doesn't accommodate. 

This, its pretty darn cool.

Just so everyone is aware,,i just got a notice today fromHLJ it stated "Please read our policy concerning using our private warehouse policy ,concerning cancelling your orders,,,so what this is telling me Dont use our private warehouse,to wait for item to come in stock! Or ,,just shop somewhere else because your private warehouse use is  in violation of our private warehouse policy. So say you see somthing you wouldlike to buy from HLJ BUT, ITS NOT IN STOCK, wyd? Would you put it in "private warehouse" and wait 2-3 wks for it to come in stock???? say you happen to be shopping for somthing entirely Different and Lo and Behold you see the Item you put in "private warehouse "w /HLJ  do you go ahead  and get it? Then  if you do you naturally cancel your "private. Warehouse item,,,,,if you do you get a warning from HLJ ?????

Just so everyone is aware,,i just got a notice today fromHLJ it stated "Please read our policy concerning using our private warehouse policy ,concerning cancelling your orders,,,so what this is telling me Dont use our private warehouse,to wait for item to come in stock! Or ,,just shop somewhere else because your private warehouse use is  in violation of our private warehouse policy. So say you see somthing you wouldlike to buy from HLJ BUT, ITS NOT IN STOCK, wyd? Would you put it in "private warehouse" and wait 2-3 wks for it to come in stock???? say you happen to be shopping for somthing entirely Different and Lo and Behold you see the Item you put in "private warehouse "w /HLJ  do you go ahead  and get it? Then  if you do you naturally cancel your "private. Warehouse item,,,,,if you do you get a warning from HLJ ?????

LOL um what?

The Private Warehouse is for kits that you have paid for that have come into stock,  you can NOT use it for kits that are not in stock and are on pre order or back order, that is what the Open Orders are for.

Like Jon said your Personal Warehouse is for items you've already paid for, otherwise the other items would show up under "Open Orders". 

Now if you're making a habit of ordering Out of Stock items and then canceling them, then yes they're gonna be annoyed with you because you have them ordering something from a supplier and then deciding you don't want it after all. What are they supposed to do with it/them now? If it's Out of Stock that clearly means it's not an item that is popular enough for them to always have one hanging around - which is completely different BTW from when something is on Back Order which is usually popular items which have sold out and they're waiting on more stock. 

If you're trying to "return" an item you already paid for, you're only gonna get way with that once or twice and eat a re-stock fee before they cancel your account.