Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know! What the heck has this got to do with modeling? I'll explain. I had a different office/mancave in the house a few years back. I had a shelf all the way around the top of the walls where I would put my finished models. Low and behold the A/C went out in the house and when they changed it, they changed the thermostat on the wall. Yup the same wall as my office/mancave. Instead of drilling the holes in the wall to mount it, they used a hammer an screw driver. Yup, every one of the models on that wall came down and broke all of them. This was one of my20170829_142710.thumb.jpg.17d4728e57072f20170829_142748.thumb.jpg.769022f0a0cc1620170829_142756.thumb.jpg.6bf356d888287920170829_142808.thumb.jpg.9cdf9b5ce8e9db favorites at the time. Now boneyard parts

I've putting up new shelves in my new room. Old room is now a guest room. This time I'm putting a piece of Shoe molding to keep them from falling off. Got about 12 that I don't know if I can save. My Cadillac, I'm missing too many parts. According to the date on the case20170829_142246.thumb.jpg.000b18cab3065520170829_142311.thumb.jpg.721a613850efee 

I built it 11/93. *sigh*, Will keep you posted as I work on it. Stopping on the models in the meantime

Ok, Stain on shelf is finished. Next is the clear coat, then hang the shelf in the mancave/office, BUT, I will be out of town for most of the month, so I'll have to finish it when I get back. Ready to get back to repairing my finished models and starting on new ones!20170903_192938.thumb.jpg.7e8c4a9021198120170903_192958.thumb.jpg.2aa152c6460c69

Drop a couple feet, and go again lol. My brother used to collect action figures. He hung them from thumb tacks and went around the room starting near the ceiling. After he went all way round, he dropped down and started another row.

Its kind of hard to care about the point of this thread looking at the background and seeing the tool/workbench set up you have, how much did that cost you is what I am really curious about.

The garage is a detached 24x30 metal I bought in 2000. I work as an assistant superintendent for a national home builder. I've been working on this garage for 17 years. It's insulated and dry walled. Most of the cabinets were damaged and were going to be thrown out so  I grabbed them. The tool boxes are $260.00 each , I bought one at a time as I could afford them. I was given a water heater. The wife wanted the utility sink out of the house , so I put it in the garage. The refrigerator I got in a trade. The TV I bought with a bonus check. It has central heat and air, which is another thing I picked up off the job. I run cable out to it when it was built. 99% of the work I did myself. It's a WIP. I like building real street cars and wanted a good place to work on them. Got tired of the "shade Tree" thiing. Getting old , hard to turn wrenches anymore. Didn't think I'd build anymore after my last one, a 1983 Ford F-150. .302 punched .060 over. 11 to 1 flat tops, Crane "Blue Flame" 3/4 cam, etc.etc. Pictures belowblue.thumb.JPG.651956855687ef5d5a0bd70b3DSC00087.thumb.JPG.c6a70deb9f44a0aed6b1dDSC00179.thumb.JPG.c7e303c7012892824f4d6

You can see I haven't started on the garage yet and the year is still all dirt.. The bug hit again. This time , and my last, 1972 Ranchero Squire. It will be posted in "What do you drive" thread as I work on it as "Giant Glue Bomb". Her name is "Dory" because of the fish mouth grill they put in the '72 Torinos and Rancheros. She's in a thread called "Stable" under "doree". in a site called "Ranchero.us"

Edited by Super28

• 1 month later...

20171004_183954.thumb.jpg.b668ebfff41818

Great work Terry. Your shelf reminds me of an ancient story and my first encounter with model cars.  Back when I was a wee lad of five or six, we were visiting my father's youngest cousins.  Donnie and Dickie were still teenagers and my father may have been around 30.  The "big boys" played with me and invited me upstairs to their room that they shared.  They had a shelf like yours all the way around the room!  And it was completely populated with model cars!  As a little kid who was always into cars, this was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my young life.   To further add to the memory they reached up and gave me a model car to take home with me! 

20171004_183954.thumb.jpg.b668ebfff41818

Great work Terry. Your shelf reminds me of an ancient story and my first encounter with model cars.  Back when I was a wee lad of five or six, we were visiting my father's youngest cousins.  Donnie and Dickie were still teenagers and my father may have been around 30.  The "big boys" played with me and invited me upstairs to their room that they shared.  They had a shelf like yours all the way around the room!  And it was completely populated with model cars!  As a little kid who was always into cars, this was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my young life.   To further add to the memory they reached up and gave me a model car to take home with me! 

Thanks. Had some questions on it so the next one I will post here with pics, step by step

Thanks. Had some questions on it so the next one I will post here with pics, step by step

Terry I had a thought....  is there a need to finish the top of the shelf?  People see the stop, the front and bottom of the shelf...  the only time the top is visible is when you are on a ladder!

Terry I had a thought....  is there a need to finish the top of the shelf?  People see the stop, the front and bottom of the shelf...  the only time the top is visible is when you are on a ladder!

Not really. Guess that's up to you.