Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie Question - 1/25 MPC Brooks Dodge Daytona

kagero43

Hello all:

First my apologies if this question has been asked (I did my best to search the web and this forum). 

I have been building plastic models for 40+ years, but all "Military". This will be my first "serious" build since I was less than 10!  I have a few cherished car kits in my stash and always loved the 70's Nascars. I have the decals for Talmadge Prince's car and will do that one. My questions are:

1) Is the old 1/25 MPC kit of Richard Brooks Dodge Daytona a good foundation? Anything grossly wrong with it?

2) What replacement or after-market parts might be suggested?

3) I have lots of good info on the engine and interior from the web but any other good references?

I really appreciate the help and will post once I finish it (PS - I almost always finish a model that I start :) ).

Harvey Low    

All of those MPC kits have a generic wheel base adjustable chassis that looks nothing like what they ran in those cars back then. They used that same chassis in Dodges, Fords, and Chebby race cars.  Best to find a stock Daytona and use some of the MPC race parts and body on the stock chassis.

You have to remember when they ran those cars in the 70's they were still stock frame cars with reinforcements and roll cages and beefed up stock engines.

That link will have some interior cage shots for Daytona's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NASCAR+Dodge+Daytona+interior&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin5Iimhf_VAhWIyoMKHQ5JB5YQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=636

There's some decent chassis pics at this link.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=636&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=NASCAR+Dodge+Daytona+chassis&oq=NASCAR+Dodge+Daytona+chassis&gs_l=psy-ab.3...108190.109126.0.110561.7.6.0.0.0.0.209.729.0j2j2.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.2.376...0i8i30k1.4HpAU7VWQIk#imgrc=zNU-ChLLMEXRUM:

Hope that helps.