Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Lamborghini Countach

dino246gt

I've pulled my old, kit out of storage, I built it decades ago and rather poorly at that, but it is a great kit with excellent details, that I can improve on now. So has anyone else built, or rebuilt this old kit?  Any suggestions, pictures, tips???

IMG_1474.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
trying to attach picture

Okay, here's where I am so far on the engine re-build. Started to wire the alternator and starter but just started. Used a couple of 1/24th decals just for interest, they are nowhere near accurate, but they do look pretty cool. It's more work re-building a glue bomb than starting a new kit, but it sure is fun in 1/12th scale!

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
same picture 3 times

Here's the wheels and tires, I got some 1/12th valve stems, and used 3D stickers for the wheel centers, then put chrome rings around them, also peel and stick, then I used the Molotov chrome fine tip pen for the lug nuts followed by Tamiya black panel line wash. The rims themselves are sprayed with Metalizer Aluminum plate. Tires, because they are used, were soaked in dish detergent, then scrubbed with a toothbrush. I think they came out pretty good!

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Did a bit more work on the engine rebuild, well I rebuilt the carbs, yes they were glued with the old tube glue and not sparingly. Plus they were brush painted with Testors bottle enamel! I broke many pieces but that was expected, as I planned to make my own replacement parts, which I've done to the linkages and fuel lines, so far. There's a lot more to go, and that's all to be scratch built, using broken kit parts and internet photos for patterns and references. All of this so far is really only the base since once in that engine bay, only the stuff that isn't made yet will really show, this is all for fun so far and it sure is fun!! Cheers!

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
spelling

I had to make my own decals as this kit didn't provide any, and I searched and searched the internet, there's no decals for it, so I made my own. Something that I've always wanted to do but was a bit leery, however, it's quite simple so now I will be making more! If ANYONE ELSE is building this kit, I've made extras of those air box decals.

147_013.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to install the engine, after getting the suspension put together, still a long way to go, but that only means a lot more fun ahead! Next up, wire the fan motors, add the oil pump and lines, detail up, or scratch build the coils and wiring:

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

The decal paper is called Experts Choice, by Bare-Metal Foil Co. it's on clear and for laser. I also brushed some Microscale liquid decal film over them before I used them, they worked great and I got real fine resolution for tiny print!

Awesome. Thanks I wil have a look for that one at the LHS

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Did the coils, wired the fan motors, made some fittings and hydraulic hoses for the oil pump and mounted all that. Made a dipstick and tube, that's on, so the only things left on the engine are the "dryer hoses" from the air boxes and the throttle cable to the gas pedal. Those are being made but can't be installed until the body is on. That won't be for some time, a long time! For now though, here's the engine!

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG