Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baltimore Clipper 1825...lower ratlines done

1st ratline finished..

The 2nd part went a little better.  Several issues came up and I'll attend these with further progress.

Here the top half of the main mast shrouds, with ratlines;

Looking better;

-IMG_1853.thumb.jpg.5965dd036ea7364a6392

The direct result from the previous mistakes, the long shroud lines are starting to sway, the vertical run has been pinched, causing the line to have a curve.  Not good;

-IMG_1854.thumb.jpg.3f4aac0da6d8aa50f019

The knots have gotten better though.  The last ship I made was in '09.  No big, well lit magnifying piece back then, no digi camera either.  I had a look at the old tub from back then and have to write that things haven't changed much, and the ship looks good on the shelf.  I'll press on as is.

Here a problem I've discovered.  This is the crummy way some ship kits spool the thread needed;

-IMG_1855.thumb.jpg.2f5d9b232bae40e9dab7

Result is, a really kinky piece of thread that is just about impossible to easily correct.  I refuse to iron a thread that's about 2" long;

-IMG_1857.thumb.jpg.626c825a705d7a44f4e7

This a better way to have thread from a spool, no kinks;

-IMG_1856.thumb.jpg.ca64a622a2cb7de7c318

This is just a small update and now I'll move to the other side, main mast.  Probably things will go better, although not quicker.  Read, this is a pita.

Thanks for your interest.

Hello Tom, good to see a great truck modeler drop in, thanks a lot.

The 2nd and 3rd ratlines are finished now, they look a lot better than the 1st shown above.  In a day or so I can post new pics of the lower 4 shrouds finished.

Tedious stuff, some days don't go well, I'll not force it.  

New pics today;

Finally the ratlines for the lower mast segments are finished.  In the beginning, the 1st try left lots to be desired.  Lousy knots, and from tying so many, 132 knots per segment,  the main shroud lines had started to run crooked.  Not good,  here the 1st segment, this is the left side;

-IMG_1854.thumb.jpg.5f8b6809c4bfdde371ef

Then it hit me.  I'd forgotten to add cross-bracing.  Just like on real ships, these kept the vertical spacing correct right on up to the top.  This bracing allowed me to give each knot a good tug to get them good, tight and small;

-IMG_1862.thumb.jpg.0511ebff60aee3435ab3

Now they look a lot better.  I'm happy this part is finished, I took my time, one of them took me 3 days to do, another was done in one day.  I like them now;

-IMG_1867.thumb.jpg.a002c7d0c913cd50ee3f

All four lower segments done, time to finish up and mount all of the deck furniture;

-IMG_1864.thumb.jpg.478b5111ace3f535bd6d

-IMG_1865.thumb.jpg.1c716dd2e302ae1bbfff

-IMG_1866.thumb.jpg.6dd2ad2ce780650df938

-IMG_1868.thumb.jpg.af810f8a3cc5b360f25f

Starting to look like a ship now.  In real life the vessel would already be afloat.  Next up is mounting the upper mast extensions....and more ratlines.  Ugh.  They'll be smaller though and not quite as intense, I don't mind at all.

Thanks for looking.

UPDATE:

Today the upper level ratlines and shrouds were started.  Same procedure as below, just a little bit lesser involved.  This level allowed the sailors to get up higher to handle the upper sails.

Here the area shown with red arrows;

-IMG_1830b.thumb.jpg.099d700f2f3951a7c7a

The dead-eyes were made up with brass wire. and attached to the top of the lower shrouds;

-IMG_1871.thumb.jpg.e769edbfc3278ed86241

-IMG_1872.thumb.jpg.d19604ec68709e91b1b6

I think the ends should be crimped tighter around the bracing;

-IMG_1873.thumb.jpg.b181ed81420b388bb4ef

-IMG_1874.thumb.jpg.e118825d9b7c63af2b2b

Also, no way was this done with shiny metal wire.  I'm thinking maybe a little gray-looking metalizer paint might help out.

No way JC these guys had height problems, you're right.   

Not only the height, but the ship was pitching and rolling, the masts were whipping around, wind and rain, cold, maybe awful humid heat and stink everywhere.  Dead weight to handle, nothing is lightweight on a sailing ship, it's all rugged and heavy duty.  These old souls were tough as nails.

One hand for the ship, one for your life.

Thanks for looking.

-IMG_1874.thumb.jpg.e118825d9b7c63af2b2b

Also, no way was this done with shiny metal wire.  I'm thinking maybe a little gray-looking metalizer paint might help out.

Instead of paint you might want to chemically darken the brass wire.  It will look good (weathered) and more durable than paint.  I don't know where to find chemical blackener in your country but in USA we have several sources. Model Railroad shops sell A-West Blacken-it solution and also Micro-engineering rail weathering solution. Both will give aged look to brass.  There are also various weathering/blackening solutions available from Jax Chemicals.  That is what I use.