Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 VW Rabbit

Mr. Horsepower 78

I'll be keeping an eye on this one- this is a kit I'd love to see AMT reissue sometime soon!Ā 

One of my favourite kits. I've built a couple and have a couple more unbuilt.Ā 

The yellow one of yours is my all-time favorite finished example of this kit. :) After seeing that one I set aside a set of those wheels for a Scirocco I may get around to building some day.Ā Ā 

Also love the Rabbit. Ā Owned a 69 in the late 80's, it was a blast to drive. Ā I bought it used and it had a problem of shutting off at some of the most inopportune times, like going down the main drag on the way to work. Ā I took it into a couple of VW specialty shops and they could not find a problem, it never shut off with them. Ā The last one called and said to come get it. Ā When I got there the car was not there, the mechanic told me they had sent a wrecker out to get it. Ā The shop owner had taken it out for one last test drive and it died on him. Ā They finally discovered a phenolic disc in the steering column had a crack in it, the ignition wires were attached to that disc, occasionally the crack would open and of course that would shut off the engine. Ā Problem solved, loved that car.

The Revell Street Wheels (?) version is still available, I picked one up at Michael's a couple months ago. Ā 

Can-ConĀ do you have any other pictures of that turbo set-up in the yellow one?

Mr Horsepower 78 I like what you are doing to this one. Ā Keep those updates coming.