Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyotas

unclescott58

Here a tricky one. Has anybody ever put out a model kit of Toyota 2000GT with the steering wheel on the left? I believe the MPC convertible may have had the steering wheel on the left. But, other than the two convertibles built for the movie You Only Live Twice, all other 2000GTs were coupes. And a left hand drive coupe is what I'd like to build.

The second Toyota I'd like to find is a model of is an early US spec Celica. Preferably a '71 or '72. I've always liked the small bumper early Celicas. There are several Japanese Celica kits out there. But, none with the steering wheel on left, or the type sold in the US with the bigger motor.

The third Toyota I'd like to find in kit form is a 1st generation Hi-Lux. Again left hand drive, and American spec with "dog ear", top of front fender turn signals. My dad bought one of first ones sold in this area of the country back in 1971. It was a weird looking, but at the same time a cute looking truck. There are other generation Hi-Lux model kits out there. But, I've never seen a 1st gen. By the way, only the US 1st gen Hi-Lux had the "dog ear" turn signals. Those replaced the mirrors required on the Japanese home version.

The different Japanese model manufacturers make some great model kits. They are for the most part wonderful to build. And they have many different historically interesting kits of Japanese spec cars. But, I think they are missing the mark by ignoring offering models of vehicles sold over here. In many cases I would think it would easy to offer some extra option pieces to convert their existing kits to represent US spec models. I wonder why they haven't done much of this? I can't be the only one who would interested in these?

I think there is a first gen hi-lux as part of a truck n trailer set. It was pulling a water or fuel tank if I remember right and may possibly have rereleased recently. the toyota gt I think is only in rhd. for the celica there was someone on facebook doing resin lhd dashes

I think they are missing the mark by ignoring offering models of vehicles sold over here. In many cases I would think it would easy to offer some extra option pieces to convert their existing kits to represent US spec models. I wonder why they haven't done much of this? I can't be the only one who would interested in these?

Simple, we , the USA is not their target market, so they are not going to go out of their way and tool LHD parts for kits that they may only sell a small handful of in the USA.    They are getting better at including LHD parts for cars that are sold here.  Dont get me wrong, it would be great if every kit had that option if the subject was sold here, dont get me wrong.

Adding to that I'd like to see the FJ models produced, classic and new. Being pretty iconic in Japan and the US I'm surprised Tamiya never made one until the new FJ RC kit. They make dozens of other RC and diecasts of them too, but not one glue kit that I can find.

If anyone finds a glue kit of an FJ (classic or new) let me know please.

Adding to that I'd like to see the FJ models produced, classic and new. Being pretty iconic in Japan and the US I'm surprised Tamiya never made one until the new FJ RC kit. They make dozens of other RC and diecasts of them too, but not one glue kit that I can find.

If anyone finds a glue kit of an FJ (classic or new) let me know please.

There is a kit of an FJ available from Italeri. It was originally an Esci kit, and a curbside, but it's still pretty nice. The only things I don't like about the kit is the Italeri version does not give you the hardtop roof, and you will need to add detail to the inside door panels.

Scott, I remember a post a ways back where someone said to look to diecast for LHD dashboards for  Japanese cars.  Also note that in some cases the wipers must be changed as they are directional.

As of late the US tuner crowd has been importing RHD drive cars from Japan and seeing them at shows is pretty cool.  A friend of ours,   Victor Rodriguez of the Diversified Tunerz model club, imported a Civic Type R and it changed my opinion on changing the cars over the LHD.

victor_honda.thumb.jpg.f69f1743989227851

• 2 weeks later...

As of late the US tuner crowd has been importing RHD drive cars from Japan and seeing them at shows is pretty cool.  A friend of ours,   Victor Rodriguez of the Diversified Tunerz model club, imported a Civic Type R and it changed my opinion on changing the cars over the LHD.

victor_honda.thumb.jpg.f69f1743989227851

How are they able to achieve compliance with U.S. Federal  vehicle  requirements? (bumpers side impact,  headlights , etc.etc.) Or are they only for "off road"  use? 

I agree that we seem to be SOL when it comes to models of US-spec Japanese vehicles -- both as kits *AND* die-casts.  These cars and trucks have been a mainstay of American roadways for close to fifty years now but aside from a few Nissan "Z" cars, a couple of Hondas, and the oddball Mazda or two we really don't have much of a selection.  Personally I'd love to have models of our 2005 Pilot, my wife's 2009 TRD Tacoma, or my 2016 Frontier 4x4 -- either as kits, promos, or die-casts.  If ever there was a gold motherlode just waiting to be mined, this is it. 

How are they able to achieve compliance with U.S. Federal  vehicle  requirements? (bumpers side impact,  headlights , etc.etc.) Or are they only for "off road"  use? 

They dont need to if they are 25 years old, and some Japanese Domestic cars meet our standards ,  and or, you can bring the car up to US spec in some cases to make it legal,  and  it can be legal at the state level and not the federal level.

There is a kit of an FJ available from Italeri. It was originally an Esci kit, and a curbside, but it's still pretty nice. The only things I don't like about the kit is the Italeri version does not give you the hardtop roof, and you will need to add detail to the inside door panels.

The last Italeri issue of that kit was in 2012. It wasn't even called a Toyota on the box, probably for licensing reasons. 

For those trying to track one down: it was Italeri 1/24 scale kit #6352 "Armed Pick-up." Clearly meant to build a modern Middle Eastern "technical" armed vehicle. It was only available for a short time, I guess, and is pretty hard to find now.

The box said "Upgraded Moulds." The only obvious upgrade was the inclusion of the .50 caliber Browning machine gun on a WWII mount.  Around the same time, Italeri re-issued its 1/24 WWII Jeep with the same gun and mount.  I didn't really expect Italeri to tool up a 1/24 Russian DShK heavy machine gun, but it would have been nice...

ESCI originally issued this kit back in the 1980s, in at least 3 different versions.  They're all very hard to find these days:

#3027 Toyota BJ-44 Land Cruiser, Canvas Top

#3028 Toyota BJ-44 Philippines Taxi - one of the most bizarre kits in the history of modeldom. A bonkers Filipino "jitney" taxi with little chrome horses/figures for the hood, extra lights, horns, etc. And eye-popping psychedelic decals. This kit included the  hardtop.

#3030 Toyota BJ-44 Savannah Master Kenia (sic) Safari - a zebra-striped safari truck, also with the hardtop. This version had a roof rack full of jerry cans, wooden crates, spare tires, canvas bundles etc.  I really wish Italeri would re-issue this one.  And the other two, as long as I'm dreaming.

They dont need to if they are 25 years old, and some Japanese Domestic cars meet our standards ,  and or, you can bring the car up to US spec in some cases to make it legal,  and  it can be legal at the state level and not the federal level.

You used to also be allowed a 1 time only exemption to bring something in. Not sure if that is still in effect

I'm hoping that Round2 will find the MPC Supra / Celica tooling in useable condition . Those are some of MPC's finest kits ; I'm not alone in wanting for one or more iteration of those 80's gems to be reissued (sans the ridiculously-dark glass !) .

Would like to see a 60's Toyota Stout , too . Make it similar to the MPC Datsun Pickup annuals : stock , and custom options ( in this case , a Toyota I-6 Turbo for the custom version ; a period piece "could" include a Buick 215 as the custom engine option ,no ? ) .

The Toyota 2000GT was never made with a left hand dash, as the car was never imported to a western country. Even ones sold through private hands stay RHD

Are you sure about that? According to the Standard Catalog of Imported Cars 1946-1990, Toyota built 337 2000GTs. With 53 being exported to the U.S. I also believe Shelby raced a few in this country, back in the late 1960's, for Toyota.