• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Pay It Forward-Round 2-Let's have FUN!

260 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

PLEASE READ IN FULL

This is meant to be a fun way to get kits into the hands of people who might build them. Remember it’s meant to be fun….

Trade items of equal value. Ask yourself, if you were on the receiving end would you be happy? If not, offer something better.

Only offer items that have not been offered recently. PLEASE don’t offer the same three kits every three days that people don’t seem to be interested in. Variety is the spice of life. It is EXPECTED that after you claim a kit, you will post your offering within 12 hours. If an individual doesn’t post within 12 hours, an administrator will send a PM to politely remind the individual to post.

You may only claim one Pay It Forward per week (a seven day waiting period) unless the item has been declared "Open." An Open item will have to be on offer for 48 hours without other members claiming it. An item can only be declared open by one of four PIF administrators.

Administrators:

Iborg- long time kit buyer, opener and starter. Does all that well. Finishing is a challenge.

Dragline- a builder of all sorts of models. Has encouraged Iborg to build something! A good guy.

Vintagedragcrazy- has a reputation for helping out numerous modelers in need. Yet another good guy

Xingu-few words can accurately describe Xingu. He volunteers as a moderator and tries to help the board run well. Deserving of thanks and praise of all of us.

REMEMBER: this whole thing is about having a bit of fun!

Edited by iBorg

Posted

Sounds good to me!!!!!!!!

Posted

Cool deal! 

Posted

Looking forward to it!

woo hoo.jpg

Posted

Let the games begin😎

Posted

S'gonna be a blast guys!

Posted

Good to see it starting again. Hope to participate this time around.

Posted

Looking forward to starting it again.  My only addition to the rules would be to add something along the lines of "No posts whining about what is being offered" I believe the posts of "Is that all you have to offer" or "Don't you have anything better" kind of put a damper on the last time. That being said, I would also like to make a recommendation, if a person's stash consists only of their next two builds, then maybe they should be careful about claiming a kit.  This may sound a bit harsh, and I do not mean for it to be that way, just wanting this to get back into action and run smoothly.

Posted (edited)

I say this with all due respect, but IMHO, I think 12 hours is waaaaaayyyyy too long to have to wait for someone to post anything. It is not fair to those of us who made an effort to keep the ball rolling. If you are going to participate, then there is no reason that you couldn't have pictures of your stuff on your computer and phone already. That is what i did. I grabbed a lot of stuff and my kits were always posted within a few minutes. So were the kits of a most of the guys that I dealt with. Couldn't we make it like an hour or so? I mean if you are at work and don't have time, then how do you have time to check the thread?

Also, I have to wait a week before I grab anything else??? Can't that be like a day or so? I realize that some guys only have a few kits in their stash. But a lot of us have many many kits to offer. And those guys were offering some really good desirable stuff. I personally would post 8 or 10 kits at once; and they must have been pretty good because something was always grabbed within 20 minutes or so. Point is that some us, (no names but we know who they are) have a lot of great kits to offer. Making them wait a week to grab something else and post their offerings will be that much longer that we have to wait for more variety; and that much longer that we'll be looking at the same C4 Corvettes and NASCAR Monte Carlos.

Again, with all due respect, I think the rules are a little too restrictive.

HEY WAIT, it just hit me, Instead of complaining, can I just start my own P.I.F. thread with my own rules?:D

Edited by RT6PK

Posted

glad to see this return :D

Posted

I think one more thing people need to be cognizant of is shipping. If you are in one country and not willing to ship to others, maybe the PIF isn't for you. There are many people participating that are from from the US, Canada, Europe, and elsewhere, and shipping to another country is more expensive than shipping within your own country. I know that as a Canadian, I can ship a kit from western Canada to eastern Canada for about $12CDN. Shipping to the US is around $18CDN. It's not a huge increase, and I can afford it, but there are people here on fixed incomes, or restricted incomes, and I just think they need to be aware of this. Good or bad, that's how it is.

:)

Posted

Here's the logic behind the rules that the four administrators agreed to.

I totally agree to the comment about " "No posts whining about what is being offered" I believe the posts of "Is that all you have to offer" or "Don't you have anything better" kind of put a damper on the last time." We struggled with whether to say treat each other with common courtesy. Some of us have a great collection to pull from, others don't. I received emails several emails from individuals who took items that they had no desire in solely to keep the PIF going. I am quite hopeful that the caveat of "Ask yourself, if you were on the receiving end would you be happy? If not, offer something better." will help alleviate the problem.

The twelve hour rule will hopefully limit some of the comments about waiting for the next offering. While it may slow down the pace, it may also give individuals who check the post and find that kit they've been looking for a chance to claim it and then make a better offering in return. We thought about other time limits but when you consider a typical eight hour work day when you might sneak a peak during a break and claim something, this gives you time to get home, relax a bit and then post your offering. Plus 12 hours is easier math than four or eight. 

I'm hopeful people will look at their stash and make an honest offering of things they've had that aren't common that others might be interested in. For example, I have a several MPC FWD Dodge Daytonas. Not everyone's cup of tea but based upon comments on a couple of builds, it is a desired kit. I may have almost a case of them. Seems like a good choice if I can find them. 

Shipping is an issue. I'd rather not pay to ship if it gets to be more than $15. At some point you have to ask is it fair to spend $25 to ship a "free kit." That is a personal issue that we all must decide on. I do appreciate those from countries who PM the poster from another country and ask if the shipping cost is a problem.

The seven day rule is to spread out who all can play. The last round there were two or three individuals who I received PM comments about being dealers using the PIF to dump unsaleable kits to improve their inventory. A few even asked me to ban others from the PIF. That's not the intent of adding some fun to the forum. If the administrators find the seven day a problem, we may amend it. It should be noted this one rule we all agreed to without any dissenting opinions.

Posted

I agree Mike we need to give the 12 hours. Some of us work long shifts and are away home longer than that. 

How about a pined cheapest way to ship to and from at the top. No need to add costs of unneeded shipping charges if we can help each other out. I do not know the cheap ways to ship as I have learned on this forum. 

Posted

Shipping for a single typical model box is Priority Mail Shoe Box. Free boxes are available from the post office.  https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=shipping-supplies%3ashipping-boxes&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&categoryId=shipping-boxes&productId=P_0_SHOEBOX

You might pay a bit less in a smaller box but the days of parcel post are gone. DO not pay for 2 day express. That's a huge jump in shipping and may only get the package there a day sooner. Remember no one NEEDS a kit. We may want it but no one has died from hot having a new kit to play with.

You can also create labels on line at: https://reg.usps.com/entreg/LoginAction_input?app=GSS&appURL=https://cns.usps.com/labelInformation.shtml

As for packing material, I save what I get from other shipments. Free bubble wrap weighs very little and is free!. NEVER use shredded paper. Its messy, weighs a lot and provides little protection. Crumpled up newspaper is also a good packing material for a kit. Typically if you mail the kit in a sturdy box and keep it from shifting around, the kit will arrive undamaged. As for shipping with peanuts, I find them messy. If I use them, I try to enclose them in something like a plastic bag to minimize the mess. Final comment on packing material. I think its okay to reuse it as long as its clean. If its dirty, its trash.

Posted

As a "newbie"  I have yet to play (intend to)......reading input from the old PIF, rules & comments for this one....I'm kinda thinking if I end up with a pig....HOW am I gonna make THIS "lemonade"?            Oh....that's not quite right!   YKWIM

Posted

Don't claim it if you don't want it and don't put it up for grabs if you don't want to give it up. 

And keep it at kit per kit. Not going to do the "It's worth such and such and I wan't more than that for it" deals. 

If you don't have decent kits to trade, i.e. complete or unbuilt, then I will not be dealing with you. 

And if you can't participate, then don't 

Posted

I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted my intent.   I not afraid of someone's "less desirable " kit.... The intent was ...the challenge of making it into something better... But. Ok!

Don't claim it if you don't want it and don't put it up for grabs if you don't want to give it up. 

And keep it at kit per kit. Not going to do the "It's worth such and such and I wan't more than that for it" deals. 

If you don't have decent kits to trade, i.e. complete or unbuilt, then I will not be dealing with you. 

And if you can't participate, then don't 

Posted

I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted my intent.   I not afraid of someone's "less desirable " kit.... The intent was ...the challenge of making it into something better... But. Ok!

Wasn't aimed at you, but ok

Posted

The US Nationals are on TV, it's Labor Day......let's have some fun. Let's get the Pay It Forward going again. 

I'm calling this offer a Dragline Special. After you read the rules, chose TWO of the kits offered. I believe each of these are 100% complete and unstarted. Chose two, and post your offering that you believe is of equal value. 

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

Posted

Mike, I'd be interested in the willys combo...

and is it okay if I donate the second choice to the next contestant?  :P

mike

Posted

I don't think that is in the spirit of Mike's offer Mike. Pick two then offer something from your own collection. It seems generous to me that a two fer is on the table.

Posted

Not trying to get out of my own offering, just spreading the good will around...;)

If that's frowned upon, I'll name the '66 shelby as well.

mike

Posted

Done.......

Yep.....it's a two for one kick off special. If you really don't want the '66, I'll keep it. If you might use it, it will fit in the box. 

Curious the four administrators had a bit of a pool about which kits would be claimed. Neither of us got it right. I had the Willys as my guess.

I'm looking forward to see what all is posted in the next few days,

Posted

Glad to see this up again. As in all ventures, you will never please everyone.

But I have to comment on shipping. When the gents from across the pond wanted to join in, guys here quickly suggested they start their own thread. So why is shipping to Canada any different?

Whether I can afford it or not is up to me, but if the extra expense exceeds what I can get it at a show for, I'll wait.

Posted (edited)

Here's my offering...

nomad is sealed, all others open and complete

I'll also add an unbuilt new release pinto wagon to the selection..

P1018891.JPG

Edited by mk11