Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

bogger44

I assembled everything that needed to be turqouise, then painted it all as one unit.

OK. The reason I asked was that you managed to get very distinct separation of parts, so to speak. By that I mean that the rocker arm covers have very prominent edges. The same is true for the intake. I've seen a lot of engines displayed where it looks like there is WAY too much paint and all the individual parts kind of appear as one big unit. I can recall that being a problem for me as a kid. So did you spray or brush paint? It looks like it's sprayed. Maybe that's the key.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

WOW, brother.... I've been waiting for you to finish this one, and you KILLED it!!!! That is awesome!!! Tiny touch, but I love the exhaust tips.  Phenomenal job!!

Thanks Kevin, it was your two Chargers that inspired me to move this one up to the top of the to-do list.  I fashioned the exhaust tips from aluminum tubing, as I didn't care much for the ones in the kit.

OK. The reason I asked was that you managed to get very distinct separation of parts, so to speak. By that I mean that the rocker arm covers have very prominent edges. The same is true for the intake. I've seen a lot of engines displayed where it looks like there is WAY too much paint and all the individual parts kind of appear as one big unit. I can recall that being a problem for me as a kid. So did you spray or brush paint? It looks like it's sprayed. Maybe that's the key.

Yup you are right, it is spray painted.  The paint I used is actual engine paint (enamel, wish it was laquer though) by Herbs Parts.  I had found it at the Mopars In The Park show in Farmington, MN earlier this year.  I hadn't ever heard of their paint before, but I picked up a can of it and am pretty happy with it.  It'll last me a lifetime too as it's a 12oz can.  I want to say I only sprayed two coats as it seemed to cover very well. 

Very sharp build!!! What is the name of the color?

Model Master Dark Bronze Metallic. I love this color.