Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan 1970 AMC Rebel Restoration

Drag Monster

36154128324_b450df741b_b.jpg

Not a knock on your model, which is off to a great start, but for those who might be interested, this is how the rear suspension really looks on a Rebel. I don't know why JoHan made the chassis plate the way they did.

I noticed the torque tube as well and wondered if Johan just reused the Marlin chassis.  From what I've read, the V8 engines in most/all Johan AMC kits are a previous generation old (think Y-block in a Mustang) so they're not accurate either.  I've seen many builders replace them with the engine from the AMT Matador stock cars 'cuz they're dirt cheap and have a more correct appearance.

Edited by Monty

This is the progress so far on a restoration of a Johan 1970 AMC Rebel Machine I started.  I decided not to go with the standard Red, White & Blue paint scheme.

Just to point out, AMC produced the Rebel as a choice, as opposed to "The Machine". There were a lot of Rebels produced in 1970, in varying trim packages, that weren't "Machines". My dad had a '70 Rebel that was green with black accents and had the base 290 V8 in it. It was a sassy little car even with the little 290. Personally, I really like seeing Rebels done as something other than "The Machine". That car garners a LOT of attention, leaving way too many other great old Rebels ignored.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. Keep those photos coming!

I'm following this one too! Not too many of these I've seen built, and I happen to have a clean builtup which I haven't done a thing with yet, so I'm curious to see what happens with yours. ;)

As far as V8's------yeah, you could use the engines out of the NASCAR kits, or if you come across any old junk Jeep kits with a V8 that would work too as all late '60s AMC V8's were pretty much the same externally from 290 to 401 CI.

Years ago (early '90's) I had a neighbor that lived a few houses from me that had a black '70. IIRC, his just said "Rebel" on it and not The Machine moniker. His had a 390, and it could REALLY get up and go! Frankly, I like the toned down look of the Rebels over The Machines-----they're just a bit too over the top for me with that wild paint job! :blink:

Hmmm. If the kits share parts then that's a shame. The Ambassador and the Rebel were very definitely different creatures. We had a Rambler/AMC dealer in my small home town. My folks drove lots of Ramblers, then a few AMCs as I grew up. Not only did my dad have the '70 Rebel, but Mom had a '68 Ambassador. Both cars were solid and provided smooth rides, but were totally different too.

Just to point out, AMC produced the Rebel as a choice, as opposed to "The Machine". There were a lot of Rebels produced in 1970, in varying trim packages, that weren't "Machines". My dad had a '70 Rebel that was green with black accents and had the base 290 V8 in it. It was a sassy little car even with the little 290. Personally, I really like seeing Rebels done as something other than "The Machine". That car garners a LOT of attention, leaving way too many other great old Rebels ignored.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. Keep those photos coming!

70rebr1.jpg

Agreed, the Rebel SST was a fine looking car and a good alternative to the Machine. Trickiest part of building one would be the crossbars on the grille. Modelhaus made a flat hood for this kit and the rest of the car is pretty straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...