Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Studebaker Finished!

David G.

I built a 1953 Studebaker model when I was around 13 years old. It wasn't this version of the kit. The kit I remember had some custom bits but not the full-on drag gear that this one has. It was actually one of the better models that I built back then. I even entered it in a contest- didn't win anything but I learned a lot.

53_Stude13m.thumb.jpg.0bfff6b1f35993dd20

I did have to polish the glass to clear it up, but it's still not crystal clear.

53_Stude15m.thumb.jpg.17b9a9900da14e4c7c

1953 Ohio Plates.

53_Stude16m.thumb.jpg.a2f1bffd48c9722646

Love those Whitewalls!

53_Stude17m.thumb.jpg.6a946abe9a1751ab6c

53_Stude18m.thumb.jpg.74802a0a94af7ad413

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

David G.

Next to the 1957-58 Golden Hawks, this one is my favorite of those "Loewy" coupes. B)

Absolutely gorgeous job David, and as others have said, this is the car that others would copy in later years as "personal cars". You had the '55-'57 T-Bird, of course followed by the four place '58. Then you had the Grand Prix, Buick Riviera, Olds Toronado, etc.

Studebaker also championed the low and lean look in '53 among mainstream cars------something the others wouldn't catch on till Chrysler's '57's, and then GM's '59's. Studebaker was ahead of its time..........that unfortunately was a detriment as they had some absolutely gorgeous cars by way of this Starliner. Too bad they couldn't adapt those same lines to their four door line which appeared tall and stodgy by comparison. :blink:

BTW, did you paint those whitewalls or are they aftermarket?? I can never get mine to look nice painting them so I just go out and buy 'em!

I built a 1953 Studebaker model when I was around 13 years old. It wasn't this version of the kit. The kit I remember had some custom bits but not the full-on drag gear that this one has. It was actually one of the better models that I built back then. I even entered it in a contest- didn't win anything but I learned a lot.

I believe the AMT kit that you have here always had all the options in the more current boxes.   Could the one you built as a kid have been the Revell  Miss Deal Funny Car kit?

Nice rendition of a classic beauty.

Thanks Pat, it's one of my favorite body styles

Beautiful build. It is hard to appreciate just how advanced this design was for the time, until you look what other manufactures were offering in 1953.  

Thank you David. I've always believed that these were about 10 years ahead of the design curve.

Next to the 1957-58 Golden Hawks, this one is my favorite of those "Loewy" coupes. B)

Absolutely gorgeous job David, and as others have said, this is the car that others would copy in later years as "personal cars". You had the '55-'57 T-Bird, of course followed by the four place '58. Then you had the Grand Prix, Buick Riviera, Olds Toronado, etc.

Studebaker also championed the low and lean look in '53 among mainstream cars------something the others wouldn't catch on till Chrysler's '57's, and then GM's '59's. Studebaker was ahead of its time..........that unfortunately was a detriment as they had some absolutely gorgeous cars by way of this Starliner. Too bad they couldn't adapt those same lines to their four door line which appeared tall and stodgy by comparison. :blink:

BTW, did you paint those whitewalls or are they aftermarket?? I can never get mine to look nice painting them so I just go out and buy 'em!

Thanks Bill. The whitewalls are two-piece snap-ins from another kit, I don't remember which one though.

I believe the AMT kit that you have here always had all the options in the more current boxes.   Could the one you built as a kid have been the Revell  Miss Deal Funny Car kit?

You could be right Tom, I'm not really sure. It's been about 45 years! :/

I do remember having trouble with the pose-able front wheels back then.

Absolutely beautiful! Finally someone built it stock. Awesome job. Hope mine is half as nice. Engine, interior and chassis pics?

Thanks Lee, I'm glad you like it. There are bore pics in the Build Thread

Thanks all,

David G.

Great build.   My dad had a few years ago an original black 54 with the wide whites etc.  A beautiful car and it was a Starlight not a Starliner.  It had the post and the flip out window in the rear.   It had real low miles on it and was virtually all original.   Quality from the factory was a tad lacking if I remember right.  Fit and finish being the most obvious signs of it.   You have done a great job on your 53.   

Beautiful build! Outstanding paint job and attention to the exterior details. I'm totally envious. I have 3 of the Stude kits as well as the Miss Deal kit. 2 of the Stude kits will eventually be done stock, and one as a mild muscle car/street rod. I certainly have something to shoot for now! WOW!