Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Harvester Truck kit's ERTL's First Models.

In 1972 Fred Ertl Went and talked to International Harvester about Farm toy's , To which he struck a deal to Produce His first plastic kit's from the IH blue prints. Out of this deal came these advanced kit's.

Transtar 4070 a, Transtar 4270, 1466 Farm tractor, farm wagon, plow, Paystar 5000 Logging truck w/trailer, Paystar 5000 Dump truck, Paystar 5000,  Paystar 5000 Cement mixer,Transtar II, Transtar 4300,  Transtar 4300 race truck ,Payhauler 350, F-2575 (S-Series) F-2674, F-2674 Dump truck, The Scout II, Scout II off Road, and super Scout II...

The Transtar 4070 A went on to become The Transtar II which the first issue carried the suspension of the 4070 a. The Transtar 4270 ( tagged transtar 4200) Went on to become the Transtar 4300......

Edited by ranma

Yes, I remember a friend of mine got one when I was 8 or 10 years old and it was beautiful (it was the F-4270).

I've managed to accumulate (2) shrink-wrapped F-4270's and a shrink-wrapped Transtar II Eagle COE in my "stash".  The Transtar II Eagle is my all time favorite -- got my first ride in a big rig in this truck when I was a kid.

If they would only make these kits again.... <sigh>

All mine have been built by Me, I have in my collection: Transtar 4070 a , Transtar 4270 (4200 badged) , Transtar II (4 of them), 4300 (7 of them) F-2575 (2 of them) 2674 (2 of them) Paystar 5000 dump truck, Paystar 5000, Payhauler 350, 1466 Farm tractor, and  (8 IH Scout's)

The only Ertl truck I have built so far is the Transtar II (walking beam) many years ago, after what I remember I liked it a lot.
I do have one more, a F-4270, a couple of Transtar 4300's and a Volvo N10 to build. 

Wish Round-2 would rerelease the N10, but this time with a plastic chassis and good chrome.

IIRC this kit comes in both Euro as NA spec, and was designed by the late Dave Carlock.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't toot the horn too loudly for the IH Scout kits. While the subject matter was most welcome, the execution leaves a lot to be desired: http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/08/AMTErtl-International-Scout-II-Review

Now, I still hope Round2 reissues a few of the Ertl kits within the next few years, but with "over 53 pieces"(!!!), the Scout kit hardly seems on par with their heavy truck kits.

Id love to see re-issues of the old Blueprint series kits come back for us all....I loved them..still do...there some of the best ones out there in my opinion.  I am lucky to have a few of my old ones but they all need restored and parts yet so I can.  it would be very nice to see the truck/farm tractor and construction related kit came back.

Edited by disabled modeler

I had one guy tell me they made a International Travelall once...?....love to have that one if they did..?

Yes they did Mark! It was similar in size to the Suburban and was definitely built on a truck chassis like all of the IH light duty vehicles.There was someone working on a resin body of one, name escapes me but it was coming along nicely and he was thinking of also making a pickup version.

Edited by mikemodeler

Yes they did Mark! It was similar in size to the Suburban and was definitely built on a truck chassis like all of the IH light duty vehicles.There was someone working on a resin body of one, name escapes me but it was coming along nicely and he was thinking of also making a pickup version.

Dave Carey of Models By Dave

http://modelsbydave.com/

My dad once owned a early to mid 70s Travelall 4x4....Id love to be able to make a replica of it someday.   I got a deal from Dave on one of his raised roof van ambulance tops...(there very nice).

• 3 months later...