Model Cars Magazine Forum

McLaren F1 LM

da_ashman

Hey Guys

I started this as part of a 24hr Lemans build here with a couple of others. Trying to build a model from start to finish in 24hrs. Not an easy task, I did get everything painted & half assembled before the deadline & sleep/work....

Its the Fujimi kit Gulf racing version, but was built as the F1LM, (fujimi do sell a F1LM but its the exact same kit even comes with slicks for the road...)

Overall its a pretty good kit, decent detail, could build with doors opened or closed, the main issue is the wheels & tires, when I got her on all 4s the standard out of the box ride height was 245mm (9.6") for a Race car!!!! I shelved it until i found some better tires, they're from a Tamiya SLR Merc & have pretty decent sidewall but no where near the size of the slicks provided. I still wasnt happy with the ride height so ended up gluing the wheels to the inner fenders (this is a first for me) still not super happy but its the best I can do, current ride height is 140mm. Pretty sure the rims are oversized 19" & should be 18s. 

But overall Im happy, I finally have a F1 LM in the cabinet & I can put a big tick next to that one on the bucketlist.

Painted with Zero Paints McLaren Orange (is there any other colour it could be...) & Tamiya spray paints. Did a few mods, Opened the rear windows into engine bay from interior & added earmuffs for communicating to other passengers & orange + black "pads" for seating comfort...

Ash

IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG