Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1983 Chevy Camaro Z28 Kit Review

hpiguy

Thank you for the review. I was thinking about buying one since I had many Camaro Z-28 and IROC demos when I was in the retail car business. You pointed out "carburation" while showing the Chrome Tree. There appears to be an optional Webber type carburetors on the Chrome Tree??  The engine seams to have the troublesome Crossfire Injection system. If someone is building a later model from this kit they should think about using a single carburetor  from another kit. An interior idea depending on the type of build someone is going for. One of my Demos had an expensive Racaro seat option that wasn't often seen. In mine the main interior color was a dark brown, there was also a Red interior option that I recall, and the seat inserts going down the seat back and bottom had a graduated color that was somewhat lighter at the top role and each roll got darker as you went down. Each roll would have CAMARO lettering in black. The lower leg support was adjustable so if you had longer legs they would be supported.  This option really made the interior stand out compared to the single color interiors.              

Chris, thank for another great review - you're correct, never owned one but drove a buddy's Z28 to Billings Mt and back in a long weekend - 1800 miles, Friday afternoon to Sunday evening - the things we did when we were younger.  Round 2 may have never had the right vintage tires in their inventory - the original issue of the kit came with the Polyglas GT Goodyears - correct for size, but the wrong tire for 1983.  I robbed the kit for the wheels to build a model of my S10. other parts eventually drifted into other projects.  Never thought I'd see this kit reissued, good to have it back.

Thank you for the review. I was thinking about buying one since I had many Camaro Z-28 and IROC demos when I was in the retail car business. You pointed out "carburation" while showing the Chrome Tree. There appears to be an optional Webber type carburetors on the Chrome Tree??  The engine seams to have the troublesome Crossfire Injection system. If someone is building a later model from this kit they should think about using a single carburetor  from another kit. An interior idea depending on the type of build someone is going for. One of my Demos had an expensive Racaro seat option that wasn't often seen. In mine the main interior color was a dark brown, there was also a Red interior option that I recall, and the seat inserts going down the seat back and bottom had a graduated color that was somewhat lighter at the top role and each roll got darker as you went down. Each roll would have CAMARO lettering in black. The lower leg support was adjustable so if you had longer legs they would be supported.  This option really made the interior stand out compared to the single color interiors.              

you and me both. I had a white '83, a black '84 with the 5 Liter HO, and those loud red-Orange seats with "CAMARO" all over them, and a Copper '85 with a 5-spd stick for my demos. I got a kick out of all of those. I never had the AMT kit, just the MPC Indy pace cat that I still have. I may have to pick one of these up, and find a set of Decent Eagle GT Tires for it..

I'd have to disagree with that.  For proportions and detail accuracy, the AMT kit actually beats all other comers in 1/24-1/25 3rd-gen Camaros.  The Revell kit had a bulky nose and a relatively crude finish in some areas, most particularly the kinda bashed-looking front end.  The AMT kit was the only one in this scale to get the properly "scooped" sides of the headlight nacelles in the front fascia.  Revell's rubber tires were square-shouldered but sure, I wouldn't mind a set of those for this kit - though if AMT had wiped the sidewalls of its tires and put "EAGLE GT" logos on the decal sheet (or better yet, tampo-printed them), they would have been vastly improved.  As it is, the included tires are the only ones this kit has ever had.

For whatever reason, even Revell's 1/16 3rd-gen Camaro was markedly superior to its own 1/25.

you and me both. I had a white '83, a black '84 with the 5 Liter HO, and those loud red-Orange seats with "CAMARO" all over them, and a Copper '85 with a 5-spd stick for my demos. I got a kick out of all of those. I never had the AMT kit, just the MPC Indy pace cat that I still have. I may have to pick one of these up, and find a set of Decent Eagle GT Tires for it..

I think your best bet for the tires would be to check out Fireball Modelworks.

I'd have to disagree with that.  For proportions and detail accuracy, the AMT kit actually beats all other comers in 1/24-1/25 3rd-gen Camaros.  The Revell kit had a bulky nose and a relatively crude finish in some areas, most particularly the kinda bashed-looking front end.  The AMT kit was the only one in this scale to get the properly "scooped" sides of the headlight nacelles in the front fascia.  Revell's rubber tires were square-shouldered but sure, I wouldn't mind a set of those for this kit - though if AMT had wiped the sidewalls of its tires and put "EAGLE GT" logos on the decal sheet (or better yet, tampo-printed them), they would have been vastly improved.  As it is, the included tires are the only ones this kit has ever had.

For whatever reason, even Revell's 1/16 3rd-gen Camaro was markedly superior to its own 1/25.

Absolutely!!!! I just picked up one of these for a nostalgia fix. It does not look too bad. I am going to compare it with the MPC '92, and the Revell '85 that I have. I built and still have 3 of the Revell 1/16 Camaro Kits and loved them, and I did a MPC Pace Car back when it was new in 1982, and it is still on the shelf in all of it's dusty glory. I am going to clean it up, but not restore it as I want to preserve it as is. It's all there.

I bought the latest version to use as the basis for coming as close as I can to duplicating my car ( an'84 with the H.O engine and 5 speed). The  kit tires are completely wrong for the car- the real cars came with 215/60R15 Goodyear Eagle GTs, not the E78-14(!) things in the kit. The kit's stock rims do scale out to 15 inches. The proper air cleaner and intake manifold are in the Miami Vice Ferrari Daytona kit.

Edited by ZTony8

The markings on the tires are absolutely anachronistic.  The round-shouldered radial look, not so much.  And seeing that a 205/70R14 is within the realm of conversion from E78 (10mm difference in width, or less than half an inch) on a tire easily stretched to a scale 15" rim, then if AMT absolutely had to use an existing tire, that E78 was far and away their closest at the time.

I maintain that if Round2 wiped the sidewalls on those very tires and then tampo-printed them "Eagle GT", they'd pass muster well enough - particularly if you sanded down the knobbly texture of the treads some.

Of course, if they could see their way to new Eagle GTs in the same sizes as their recent Polyglas sets, there'd be a TON of models to use them across 1/25 and 1/24 brands.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
clarification

Not to pick nits but I'm pretty sure '82 Z-28s came from the factory with 215/65/15 tires, not 60 serise. That's the same size as the base tire on my '85 T/A. Also what it says in the '82 Camaro brochure. [of coarse, some things in those brochures change after they're printed]

But, yea, new tires would have been very nice.  ,,, and those old Revell rubber tires look too small to me on those kits. They look more like an old skinny 78 serise tire. You don't see them very much anymore because they had a habit of rotting away to dust. I have one somewhere that's just a ring of tread and two rings for around a rim and very little else keeping it together.  

I originally thought my kit had a short shot dash, but the kit that was reviewed has the exact same hole in the dash next to the vent, right in the middle of the dash. Was this for something not included in the kit?

Did you look at the pictures posted above? Might help with your question, the dashes in these always looked to me like someone at the assembly plant forgot to put something in place on the dash.