Model Cars Magazine Forum

2017/18 Featherlite Transporter

So what I am building?( Current stock at Featherlite Trailers) 2018 model 1075 transporter
ZWui8by.jpg
Now, this will be number 6 overall that I have built, you dont want to see the first four, but here are the last two that I have built.

This was built in 2013
74nHl1B.jpg
And this one was done in 2015
6QNDcTV.jpg

Just like the last two , will be using floor plans from Featherlite , and I will be scaling down the numbers,  I wont doing this as a 53 ft, it will be closer to 51 ft, or 24 inches long, that is so it matches the last one, as that one is 24 inches long as well. 
xGND0a8.png
xFLZ9O0.png
And here is what I call the evergreen trailer kit, various sizes of sheet plastic/ and other shapes, the only kit part that I will be using will be for the wheel's and tires, everything else I will make.
yn3VMq8.jpg

I have not done a lot, starting with the floor/frame,  using the .80 sheets, got them cut, now, I wont be going the full scale 53 ft, its going to be closer to 51 scale feet, it is going to be 24 inch's long, there are several reason why as to why I am not going to 53 ft.  

Th5qZWr.jpg

Cutouts for spread axle's , the rear part of the trailer

4Ff8Zq3.jpg

And the front section, the steps are not final production steps, just made those as an aide.

GlscAet.jpg 

I need to make a trip to the LHS to get another I-Beam , so I am probably not going to make any progress till that point.

Was wondering how you were going to tie it all together. Didn't know if there was a sheet of plastic that long or not!! Especially if someone was to do a 53 foot Featherlite!!!

Evergreen biggest sheet is 12x24,    I want to do one that is 53ft long, and my next will be ,    I just have figure out the best way to go about it , and one that is cost effective at the same time, those 12x24 sheets are around $15 a pop,  but, I would need less, but still bumps the overall cost up by $10 I think. 

The one nice thing with the 6X12 sheets is the 6inchs is the perfect size for the sides of the trailer,  more so for the rear part, very little trimming is needed, and the front part, as you can see, very little as well. 

What it comes down to is for me personally, I like to keep the number of seems down to a minimum on the sides/roof/floor

Evergreen biggest sheet is 12x24,    I want to do one that is 53ft long, and my next will be ,    I just have figure out the best way to go about it , and one that is cost effective at the same time, those 12x24 sheets are around $15 a pop,  but, I would need less, but still bumps the overall cost up by $10 I think. 

The one nice thing with the 6X12 sheets is the 6inchs is the perfect size for the sides of the trailer,  more so for the rear part, very little trimming is needed, and the front part, as you can see, very little as well. 

What it comes down to is for me personally, I like to keep the number of seems down to a minimum on the sides/roof/floor

Good info, I know for a 53 footer it has to be in the neighborhood of 25.5 inches for one side. With that the building of the door/lift can make up some of that but not all... Could also be made up with the curvature of the nose of the trailer too but not sure if all will be there too??

I'd like to try my hand at one and need to start getting the needed plastic to pull one off!!! I too would like to keep the seams to a minimum and will more than likely go with a single sheet per sides..

Thanks again for the info!!!!!!!

Spent some time last night working on the liftgate track system , I normally wait till later , but its one of the easier things to do and that was the mood I was in( something easy),  the track system is made of L Channel

RuFVjO7.jpg

I am sure there might be a better way to go about this, but after getting them cut, I play a game of Tetris and have something that looks like this, it takes three pieces .

NPbWK3C.jpg

And attached to the inside

k8R5WSw.jpg

CwkEmaV.jpg

And the slider piece that I will cut down later and it will be attached to the liftgate, simple I-Beam , or maybe H.

foG2LrV.jpg

And a undershot , I-Beams in place for that added extra strength and something to attached the axles too

YHwBvOw.jpg

Good info, I know for a 53 footer it has to be in the neighborhood of 25.5 inches for one side. With that the building of the door/lift can make up some of that but not all... Could also be made up with the curvature of the nose of the trailer too but not sure if all will be there too??

I'd like to try my hand at one and need to start getting the needed plastic to pull one off!!! I too would like to keep the seams to a minimum and will more than likely go with a single sheet per sides..

Thanks again for the info!!!!!!!

Ohhh, you were so close, 53 ft scales out to 26.5 , but you right, there are some things that I can do that will kind of give the impression that it is a bit longer, like the generator compartment , that will add a couple more inches on the front.  But here is the kicker if you will,  Featherlite has made in the past these trailers in 50ft lengths, so its not at all unrealistic .  

If you can find a sheet that is 26 and a half inches long that is no more than .40 thick let me know.

Impressive as always, much like the earlier trailers. Any idea of what you will use to pull it? I am sure it will depend on which driver you go with.

Thanks for sharing your build, anxious to see this one done!

At the current moment, no tractor , but more than likely it will be a Lonestar,   all though I kind of want to get another Volvo VN , but darn the reissue being molded in blue:lol:

Fun Fact, the Lone Star/Prostar kit is where I got the chicken lights for the last one , so I am probably going to have get another so can get the chicken lights :o

Edited by martinfan5

Ohhh, you were so close, 53 ft scales out to 26.5 , but you right, there are some things that I can do that will kind of give the impression that it is a bit longer, like the generator compartment , that will add a couple more inches on the front.  But here is the kicker if you will,  Featherlite has made in the past these trailers in 50ft lengths, so its not at all unrealistic .  

If you can find a sheet that is 26 and a half inches long that is no more than .40 thick let me know.

I measured out in 1/25th as my first thought was to put it behind the KW Canepa...

ill keep my eyes open for sheet plastic and let you know!!!!!

You can buy 8' sheet at places that sell plastic exclusively various thicknesses, they will also cut to size for a fee. Some places even sell the scraps they have left over from projects.You just have to think outside the hobby stores.

yes they do!!!! I used to have such a place where I lived years ago but haven't checked into any places where I am now....

One place I buy plastic is the local sign shop.  They do a lot of signs in different thicknesses of styrene and will often have leftovers pieces.  The last time I checked with them they had just thrown out a bunch of cut pieces :angry:, but I did get a couple pieces of stock they were not sure they would be using.  I have asked them to hold their scraps, but they do not have enough space to store anything, so they will not keep the leftovers.  Anyway, if there is a sign shop close by check with them.

Oh yeah, I am looking forward to your build on this one.. I like building trailers.

Edited by TarheelRick