Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurricane Irma

Jantrix

Well I'm a Florida boy and been watching CNN here in Germany all weekend.  They're trying to make a lot of drama, my opinion.  There is no light hurricane, they all suck and make for a disaster.

Good though, that CNN makes it clear the water is the biggest problem, not if winds are 85 or 130, which are terrible enough!

My father found land that was higher up and built our home and surroundings there, we never had a problem, luckily.  Just surrounding coastal areas were always hit hard, disgusting the damage and hardship.

I'm kind of surprised too, they have this bitch going up through Georgia and further inland, northwards.  WTF?

Best wishes to those folks, and I truly hope for minimal damages.

I'm a long way away, but still scared.

I'm kind of surprised too, they have this bitch going up through Georgia and further inland, northwards.  WTF?

Best wishes to those folks, and I truly hope for minimal damages.

Well, if we get heavy winds here, there are two big dead trees on my property that can very well smash part of my house, or at least one of my cars, flat.

And you know what? It's at least partially my own fault for procrastinating, and not having them taken down earlier. Procrastination is a bitch sometimes.

Deciding to live in a low-lying coastal area is also a conscious decision. Nobody DESERVES to have their stuff destroyed, but adults (theoretically) realistically assess risks and behave accordingly.

If my 911 or the south end of my house is flattened, I really have nobody but ME to blame.

The heavy(ier) rains have started here (I'm just a few miles south of Crazy Jim), and were now just waiting for the storm to get up here. Jim wasn't kidding about the roads, US19 and US41 were bumper to bumper and sometimes a parking lot for the past three days. There's no gas here, and won't be til after the storm has passed. Got my generator running yesterday after cleaning six years of varnish out of the carburetor, and I have a good amount of fuel on hand. Flooding won't be an issue here, but it will be for Homossassa, Ozello, and Crystal River west of US19. There's a mandatory evacuation for everything west of US19, 1.5mi east of US19, and anyone in a mobile home. As of 6pm, the county commission and sheriff dept issued a curfew til 6am. Gonna be a long night.

Well, if we get heavy winds here, there are two big dead trees on my property that can very well smash part of my house, or at least one of my cars, flat.

And you know what? It's at least partially my own fault for procrastinating, and not having them taken down earlier. Procrastination is a bitch sometimes.

Deciding to live in a low-lying coastal area is also a conscious decision. Nobody DESERVES to have their stuff destroyed, but adults (theoretically) realistically assess risks and behave accordingly.

If my 911 or the south end of my house is flattened, I really have nobody but ME to blame.

About those trees, I recently talked to my insurance agent and was told that if a live tree falls and damages my house I'm covered, if it's a dead tree and I didn't have it removed before hand it's "on me."

About those trees, I recently talked to my insurance agent and was told that if a live tree falls and damages my house I'm covered, if it's a dead tree and I didn't have it removed before hand it's "on me."

and as I found out recently, if a live tree falls in a storm and doesn't hit anything, it's on you.  It landed feet from my pool pumps and filters and shed.  My insurance agent said I would have been better off financially if the tree did cream them all!  

We made it through unscathed. One broken limb, and a couple shingles blown off. Power went out at 11pm, and is still out. Running on generator power for now. On the plus side, some have already had power restored today, and Crystal River didn't get the expected storm surge.

We made it through Irma with no damage other than small twigs and branches all over.  Power went out 6:45pm Sunday and expected to be back on until Sunday 9/17. AT&T cell phones went out Sunday night to and they just came back this morning. No internet or TV until power comes back.