Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 International School Bus...

bus1.thumb.JPG.2b76158a4e2d09f24d64990fa

Exhibit One-  this is a 1936 or so International school bus that is owned by my wife's employer. It represents their first bus.  They have over 2000 buses today.  She asked me if  I could build a model of this bus.  I told her there was no kit.    Then I remembered...

bus2.thumb.jpg.e0d896256b071c454760fbc06

I had this Danbury 1933 International Budweiser truck.  It's missing the bed, front bumper and a few other parts.  I paid $20 for it.  My wife did not work for this company when I got it, I just wasn't passing up a bargain that may become a model someday.  So this morning, I remembered I had this.    Checking it against the bus photos, I believe I have the right hood and cowl, the fenders are correct.   Note that the grill and headlights are completely different.  But the overall chassis etc is correct for this build.

So I appeal to the brain trust here for some ideas..  I see the later grille on a Matchbox 1934 International pickup in 1/43 scale,  but was that grille or something similar ever done in 1/24 or 1/25?  

I'd always planned on building a school bus body someday, so I guess here we are!

The shape of the bus grille shell has a lot in common with the old Johan 500K Merc...

And though the grille on your bus appears to be '36, the fenders look earlier to me...more like '31...so maybe your diecast is a good source.

Look carefully at the bus...you'll see the grille leans back slightly and the line between the cowl and the hood echoes the lean. That's different from your diecast.

You can certainly find some tall 6-spoke centers to make up the bus wheels on a diecast custom too, most likely.

I would suggest starting the same way I always do,with photos.I take photos of the real vehicle from each side plus front and rear.Measure the wheelbase then have the photos you took enlarged to match that size in 1/25th scale.If you don't have a 1/25th scale ruler,send me a PM and I'll mail you a copy of my Murphy's Rule ll.Once you have a 1/25th scale photo copy of the body sides you can simply scale everything from there.The curved section above the side windows can be made from thin wall evergreen tube stock.Any UPS store can do the copy enlargements for you or even your local post office may have a copier available with enlargement options on it.Out P.O.does for only 15 cents each which is a lot cheaper than driving 20 miles to the nearest UPS store.Good luck with your project and be sure to post your progress here on the forums.

Thanks Tom for the advise.  I do have a 1/25 scale ruler, one of my most used tools.   Since my wife works for the company and they let me drive it around the lot, I think they'll let me measure it off someday.   As of right now, at least having the correct chassis and front fenders is a huge head start on building something like this.

• 5 months later...