Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO (DONE)

FabbricaP

LOVE THOSE LITTLE DETAILS!! :wub:

This is the first I've seen Harold's detail sets done up for this car.............Now my curiousity is up and I may spring for a set. ;)

Does he make the other type V-12-----the triple carb version for the 250 SWB and California? If so, next time I see him, I may order a set. I get to the MAMA club every once in a while, so that's an advantage.

LOVE THOSE LITTLE DETAILS!! :wub:

This is the first I've seen Harold's detail sets done up for this car.............Now my curiousity is up and I may spring for a set. ;)

Does he make the other type V-12-----the triple carb version for the 250 SWB and California? If so, next time I see him, I may order a set. I get to the MAMA club every once in a while, so that's an advantage.

Thanks for the comments! I got this HRM engine from Randy at Model Builder's Warehouse and I've seen three Ferrari engine kits on there. This one, a 250 Testa Rossa engine and a 330 P4 engine.  Not sure if HRM makes the triple carb engine for the SWB or California. I'd be interested in that also as these two Ferraris are on the bucket list. 

This HRM engine is excellent btw. All the little included details like the PE cylinder firing order badge really make it a fun build.

Thanks for the comments! I got this HRM engine from Randy at Model Builder's Warehouse and I've seen three Ferrari engine kits on there. This one, a 250 Testa Rossa engine and a 330 P4 engine.  Not sure if HRM makes the triple carb engine for the SWB or California. I'd be interested in that also as these two Ferraris are on the bucket list. 

This HRM engine is excellent btw. All the little included details like the PE cylinder firing order badge really make it a fun build.

Randy's site came to mind after I posted, and I didn't see the SWB engine listed. When I see Harold next time, I'll put a bug in his ear to see if he'll consider making the carbs and intake for it. They shared engines----just the intake, carbs, and of course the linkage differed.

I have Norm Veber's VERY nice engine for that car, but I don't think Norm produces it any longer 'cept on perhaps special request.

Having just completed my very first Ferrari project I'm following this one closely as it's the epitome of how to properly do these things - start with a the right kit and then improve on it where required, all the while being careful to maintain your build quality to the proper level to achieve the desired result. Excellence is what the subject matter demands and I'm sure that's where we're firmly headed with this one. Can't wait to see more on this!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Having just completed my very first Ferrari project I'm following this one closely as it's the epitome of how to properly do these things - start with a the right kit and then improve on it where required, all the while being careful to maintain your build quality to the proper level to achieve the desired result. Excellence is what the subject matter demands and I'm sure that's we're firmly headed with this one. Can't wait to see more on this!

Many thanks Bernard. You're right about the subject matter- this is one of my favorite Ferraris and my first 250 GTO, so I wanted to add a lot to it.

A bit more progress here, I mocked up the interior. Can't decide if I should add some sort of cloth effect to the seats. Does anyone know what material these seats were originally made of??

Xh21CVD.jpg

qRO3YgO.jpg

S5uDz5j.jpg

I also assembled the kit engine. I went with the kit provided carburetor fuel line part on the GTO and attached HRM's version to the kit engine.

k2LNYMp.jpg

oitlVVQ.jpg 

Thanks for looking in.

A bit more progress here, I mocked up the interior. Can't decide if I should add some sort of cloth effect to the seats. Does anyone know what material these seats were originally made of??

First of all, hats off! Your work is looking awesome and it's perfectly using the aftermarket parts. :wub:

As regards the seats, you will find all kinds of images of several materials on the internet. The most popular being some kind of thinner cloth, I think. So I would rather stick to just painting the seats (no flocking). Btw, on some of your images the seats look as if they could use another layer of blue paint (or is it only an effect on the photos?).

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks JC. Followin your lead and trying to get as many WIP pics on here as I can:D

First of all, hats off! Your work is looking awesome and it's perfectly using the aftermarket parts. :wub:

As regards the seats, you will find all kinds of images of several materials on the internet. The most popular being some kind of thinner cloth, I think. So I would rather stick to just painting the seats (no flocking). Btw, on some of your images the seats look as if they could use another layer of blue paint (or is it only an effect on the photos?).

Keep up the excellent work!

Thank you Tommy, I think I’m going to take your advice and leave the seats just painted. The pictures/lighting probably made the seats look partially painted. 

Edited by FabbricaP

Hi Jason,

Great looking interior !!!   I'm following along for when I get around to my build, looks like you added the after market switch faces to kit part D18. What did you do to enhance the switches themselves? Did you use the HD gauge cluster piece or just detail paint the kit piece? That steering wheel looks killer !

Randy

Hi Jason,

Great looking interior !!!   I'm following along for when I get around to my build, looks like you added the after market switch faces to kit part D18. What did you do to enhance the switches themselves? Did you use the HD gauge cluster piece or just detail paint the kit piece? That steering wheel looks killer !

Randy

Hi Randy,

For the switches I only added a little bit of black Tamiya panel line wash at the base of each switch to try and bring out the details. I also filled in the recesses on the switch faces with this same black wash. I used the HD instrument cluster piece. I painted it Tamiya flat black and removed the flat black around the gauge edges with thinner. I agree, the aftermarket steering wheel looks awesome. It should look even better with some paint to simulate the wood grain. Thanks for looking in!

Looking incredible!!!!  Q: how did you put the texture on the dash?

Thanks Dann. I used black ‘Faux Fabrics Textured Spray Paint’ from Scale Motorsport. This stuff is perfect for simulating the rough texture on cam covers and interiors. 

https://www.scalemotorsport.com/accessories/faux-fabrix-textured-spray-paint-black.html

Hi all,

Finished all the Borrani wheels and test fitted the body to the chassis. This Fujimi kit is very well engineered and fitting the body to the chassis was not difficult.

I was fortunate that the engine plumbing didn't interfere with the hood fit.:rolleyes:

Now it's on to test fitting all the trim pieces for the body and modifying the window piece. I'm planning on using clear sheet styrene for the side windows.

Thanks for looking!

kd6QOai.jpg

guL3qlP.jpg

TT7UNYH.jpg

0tfwX1q.jpg

sVbWScK.jpg

TA4Jsp7.jpgR4VAbUC.jpg