• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Roto ("Slim Jim") Hydramatic - kit/aftermarket source?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I want to put an automatic transmission in my AMT '62 Catalina; it would have used the smaller GM Roto Hydramatic (aka "Slim Jim"). I think my only option for this would be the '63 Olds Starfire; but are there any aftermarket Rotos available? I'd think some builders would like them for the Moebius kit as well (along with the correct brake pedal, which is in the old Revell Stone-Woods-Cook Willys IIRC). Over to the experts... 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm....I just pulled down a '63 Starfire and looked. The transmission is a blobular thing that looks kinda-sorta like a "Slim Jim", but is not a correct representation of the 375 "Slim Jim" at all. The oil pan shape is wrong, and the case is wrong. Olds engines of the period had a cast-in integral partial bellhousing, to which the trans case is bolted...and this is entirely wrong on the old Johan model too.

Pontiac engines of the period had a more conventional separate bellhousing, and the attachment was therefore different as well. 

Far as I know, you're SOL as far as accurate Roto Hydramatic 10, model 375 (big car)  "Slim Jim" availability goes.

PS. I have a real Slim Jim in my '63 Dynamic 88 convertible (the car I learned to drive in quite a few years ago), and it's not a gearbox you really want if you have a choice.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Posted

PS. I have a real Slim Jim in my '63 Dynamic 88 convertible (the car I learned to drive in quite a few years ago), and it's not a gearbox you really want if you have a choice.

That was my first through when I saw thread posting.

Posted

Oh, I know - I had a '64 Catalina 2+2 convertible once whose Roto was just beginning to slip when I sold it; my boss's '64 Starfire's trans cost over a grand to rebuild. I guess I'll just go with "kinda-sorta" since another board member just gave me a clean resin copy of one. I checked the '64 AMT Grand Prix, which should have the Roto, but it's the same trans as the Bonneville.

Posted

Is the transmission included in the AMT Chevy 283 & Pontiac 421 parts pack a Hydra-Matic or a Roto-Hydramatic ?

Posted

Is the transmission included in the AMT Chevy 283 & Pontiac 421 parts pack a Hydra-Matic or a Roto-Hydramatic ?

The gearbox with the AMT Pontiac described as "B&M Hydro transmission" is a Hydramatic (NOT Roto), converted to the B&M "Hydro-Stick" configuration.

The Revell parts-pack Chevy 283 and Caddy engines have two different versions of the Hydramatic as well...neither one is a Roto.