Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 AAR Cuda-Revell

I have wearied of waiting for Revell to release a 1/25 scale 70 AAR Cuda. Initially, the scuttlebutt was Revell was going to do the Sox & Martin pro stock drag car & after that, the AAR was the next spin off from their original Cuda kit. After 2 years I still have not heard anything about the release of a 70 Cuda AAR. Is this a dead pipe dream? I'm I the only person interested in the release of a 1/25 scale  70 AAR Cuda? Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I think that was just a rumor without substance....given that they have done an AAR twice previously (both with issues), I can't imagine they will try a third time.  Would be nice, but I don't see it happening. 

True Revell did release a 70 AAR kit twice. However, BOTH versions were  1/24 scale and wickedly awful representations of the 1:1 car.

The newly tooled Revell Cuda is 1/25 scale for openers.  1/25 scale is the primary scale for U.S. car models. Overseas is a different story. The 70 Cuda is primarily aimed at the American muscle car model building market. Additionally, both 1/24 scale versions of the AAR Cuda what horrible and quite candidly sucked big time. In spite of the nitpicking many have done about the newly tooled 1/25 Cuda it is a far sight better than its 1/24 scale brother. Hence, since Revell has a good newly tooled 1/25 version of the Cuda it makes sense to finally follow up with a respectable  AAR version.

If nothing else it's a great opportunity for Revell to make up for the two horrible attempts they made in the earlier years.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I'm working on it fellas!  I do have some inside info that a new set of racing decals are in the works for the AAR Team Cudas.  Haven't seen what they look like yet but as soon as I do I'll let you guys know.

Modifying the Monogram AAR parts to fit the Revell Cuda wasn't very difficult.  I didn't go all the way on the street car conversion but it appears doable.

DSCN4699DSCN4693DSCN4697DSCN4790

Edited by afx

I second the desire for an AAR 'Cuda . Further ; how about a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 ? To wit :

- 340 with single four barrel and Six Barrel induction options ;

- "Generic" big block ( could ostensibly represent either a 383 or 440 ) ;

TWO transmission options : 4-speed and TorqueFlite ;

- All of the AAR livery ;

- All of the 'base' 'Cuda goodies ;

- Bench Seat option (only available with column-shift auto) 

- A bevy of period-correct "speed" equipment ( e.g. , Spyder wheels , Direct Connection rocker covers , various gauges , 70's decals [ 'STP' , etc. ] , vintage licence plates , L60 tyres , etc. , etc .) 

Basically , one could either build an AAR or a 'Cuda (perhaps even a Grand Coupe version with the 383 , etc. ! )

ok, so this thread brings the question I always have when a kit (new or reissue) gets bashed as being junk or all wrong.  In the case of the 24th scale R/M cuda, what EXACTLY is wrong with it?  Dimensions like wheelbase, or size of the rear window, or what?  Wrong scale is not part of the question.

For any kit my thought process is either like it as is, try to fix what I see or know is wrong with it, or take a pass.  I come to this forum to learn so I would like to hear from the people that know Mopars what makes this one so bad.

Edited by djflyer

In the case of the 24th scale R/M cuda, what EXACTLY is wrong with it?  Dimensions like wheelbase, or size of the rear window, or what?  Wrong scale is not part of the question.

Uh, it doesn't look anything like a '70 Cuda.

If it does to you, then build it and be happy. There should be enough unbuilt ones floating around, cheap.

ok, so this thread brings the question I always have when a kit (new or reissue) gets bashed as being junk or all wrong.  In the case of the 24th scale R/M cuda, what EXACTLY is wrong with it?  Dimensions like wheelbase, or size of the rear window, or what?  Wrong scale is not part of the question.

For any kit my thought process is either like it as is, try to fix what I see or know is wrong with it, or take a pass.  I come to this forum to learn so I would like to hear from the people that know Mopars what makes this one so bad.

They have been discussed countless times in many threads here, no point in repeating it.  If you search on AAR Cuda, I'm sure you can find the past threads. In short, both of the 1/24th scale '70 AARs suffer from inaccurate roofline/side window shapes and proportions and other issues.

Edited by Rob Hall

Revell's second AAR can be made into something that actually looks like a Cuda, if you want to put a buttload of work into it. You have to move the rear of the roof back, trim the tops of the rear fenders, and take some of the tuck-under out of the area behind the rear wheels. Here's one I got about halfway done with a few years ago. I need to dig it out and finish it sometime.

70CudaAARWIP09.thumb.jpg.f912efb46457491

70CudaAARWIP13.thumb.jpg.50c38161423379b

70CudaAARWIP16.thumb.jpg.dbccc573c785512

They have been discussed countless times in many threads here, no point in repeating it.  If you search on AAR Cuda, I'm sure you can find the past threads. In short, both of the 1/24th scale '70 AARs suffer from inaccurate roofline/side window shapes and proportions and other issues.

I did look through the old threads, unfortunately many of them suffer from Photobucket-blight so many of the pictures that illustrated the problem(s) are no longer visible.

The post by Darin Bastedo from 2007, Fixing The Revell Aar 'cuda, showed a fix where he chopped the roof and hood area from the Revell '70 cuda and grafted it on to the Monogram 1971 kit.  The pictures showed it as a definite improvement there and echos the previous post by Snake regarding the c-pillar/rear-window area problems.

This gives me some idea of what to do about one of the most discussed problems.  Thank you all for your information.

http://images40.fotki.com/v1035/photos/1/106983/5497338/IMG_4118-vi.jpg

Edited by djflyer
mis-type

I did look through the old threads, unfortunately many of them suffer from Photobucket-blight so many of the pictures that illustrated the problem(s) are no longer visible.

The post by Darin Bastedo from 2007, Fixing The Revell Aar 'cuda, showed a fix where he chopped the roof and hood area from the Revell '70 cuda and grafted it on to the Monogram 1979 kit.  The pictures showed it as a definite improvement there and echos the previous post by Snake regarding the c-pillar/rear-window area problems.

This gives me some idea of what to do about one of the most discussed problems.  Thank you all for your information.

http://images40.fotki.com/v1035/photos/1/106983/5497338/IMG_4118-vi.jpg

I too am working on converting the old Monogram 1/24, by grafting in the grille and taillights of the backbirth first-gen AAR.

how about a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 ? To wit :

Basically , one could either build an AAR or a 'Cuda (perhaps even a Grand Coupe version with the 383 , etc. ! )

Yes. Dead on. That would be great!

I second the desire for an AAR 'Cuda . Further ; how about a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 ? To wit :

- "Generic" big block ( could ostensibly represent either a 383 or 440 ) ;

- All of the AAR livery ;

- All of the 'base' 'Cuda goodies ;

- A bevy of period-correct "speed" equipment ( e.g. , Spyder wheels , Direct Connection rocker covers , various gauges , 70's decals [ 'STP' , etc. ] , vintage licence plates , L60 tyres , etc. , etc .) 

To the current director of marketing for Revell/Monogram  all we have to say is "YOUR FIRED!!!!!!"

1972 Coronet we are all looking forward to you joining the Revell family and starting your new position tomorrow!!!

A admiring and grateful crowd went wild...Hurray!!!! :-)

1972 Cornet

I like the two engine kit concept. Not ever kit needs to have the biggest mother in the valley engine option.

In fact in the real world the small block was the most common displacement on the street. Very rarely, if ever,would you see a 426 hemi car cruising the streets or McDonald's lot on a Saturday night. Now 340, 383, 440 were a different story; they were the most common Mopars blocks on everyday USA streets. 

In fact Revell did two engine build options with the 2-N-1 '70 Dodge Dayton kit. So, the concept isn't  that foreign for Revell by any stretch. What would it take to bring that concept back?

Not even a full day on the job & were ready to promote you to the next level...wow!!!

1972 Cornet

I like the two engine kit concept. 

In fact in the real world the small block was the most common displacement on the street. Very rarely, if ever,would you see a 426 hemi car cruising the streets or McDonald's lot on a Saturday night. Now 340, 383, 440 were a different story; they were the most common Mopars blocks on everyday USA streets. 

In fact Revell did two engine build options with the 2-N-1 '70 Dodge Dayton kit. So, the concept isn't  that foreign for Revell by any stretch. What would it take to bring that concept back?

Not even a full day on the job & were ready to promote you to the next level...wow!!!

When I was growing up (born in 1970) , 340-powered A-bodies were everywhere ! Lots and lots of '69-'70 Swinger 340 , '70-'73 Duster 340 ; '72-'73 Charger & Road Runner ; '70-'73 Barracuda & Challenger .

Next would be the 383 / 400 and 440 four barrel (and some early 413 / 426 wedge) B-bodies . 

Just as long as whatever Revell has planned next -- MoPar-wise -- does not have a freakin' Hemi !