Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawaiian Glossary?

TomZ

I keep seeing what may be Hawaiian scattered about in this forum. Is there a glossary somewhere on this site that might give me a clue what those words and phrases mean?

Seems like I mostly see people doing this with French. Hawaiian is a new one for me.

It would be a courtesy to those benighted among us (such as myself) to supply a translation in parentheses.

thanks

Gregg is in Hawai'i. Being good Americans, we incorporate a lot of local vocabulary in our conversations. 

Things I've come across here:

• pau -- finished or done
  • okole -- the north end of a horse heading south, a rude person, or your tuches.
  • ali'i -- the ruling class
  • akamai -- smart, intelligent, or clever
  • aloha -- hello, goodbye, or an exceptionally compassionate way of living indigenous to the Hawai'ian Islands
  • mahalo -- thank you

Post any new ones here, and I'll translate as best I can. Unfortunately, I don't have the proper diacritical marks, so I can't clue you in on which syllables are accented. But, all the vowels are pronounced, and use the same pronunciation as Spanish.

I love Hawaii as I've been there twice and ready to go back anytime, however my wife doesn't want to go back. Sigh! I only know 4 or 5 words in Hawaiian.

To me, Hawaii is like going to the Citgo station, it's "A Nice Place To Visit"..... As far as living there, well that's another story. Although the idea of hangin out with Higgins at the King Kamehameha club with the lads, Zeus and Apollo, does have a certain appeal 

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We fell in love with place, so much so that our daughter's middle name is Hawaiian. She has Kalea for a middle name, which means clear & bright in Hawaiian. We loved Honolulu. Loved the ABC stores... Loved the pineapple, it was so sweet. We would visit or live there in a heartbeat. We didn't mind the traffic, it was nothing compared to where we live!!! Everything was lovely.

Ash

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We fell in love with place, so much so that our daughter's middle name is Hawaiian. She has Kalea for a middle name, which means clear & bright in Hawaiian. We loved Honolulu. Loved the ABC stores... Loved the pineapple, it was so sweet. We would visit or live there in a heartbeat. We didn't mind the traffic, it was nothing compared to where we live!!! Everything was lovely.

Ash

I love Honolulu but my wife doesn't and traffic is one of the reasons. I would go back there in a heartbeat and last year we spent a week in Maui and that was great also.

We vacatianed there several years ago. We were there 8 days and it rained 7 of those days. I don't a little sprinkle either,it flat out posted down as in call out the national guard to clear the land slides kind of rain.Anyway we were appaled by the sheer number of what we told were homeless American veterans.Hundreds were on every beach front park bench at every beach and sleeping in the parks.What a shame.

We vacatianed there several years ago. We were there 8 days and it rained 7 of those days. I don't a little sprinkle either,it flat out poured down as in call out the national guard to clear the land slides kind of rain.Anyway we were appaled by the sheer number of what we told were homeless American veterans.Hundreds were on every beach front park bench at every beach and sleeping in the parks.What a shame.

One of my favorite Hawai'ian terms is "Mahalo nui Loa."  

My good friend Gregg told me this account:   It seems that many public trash receptacles in Hawai'i display the phrase "Mahalo nui Loa" on the hinged doors.  Many tourists apparently assume the phrase means "Trash."  In fact, it means "Thank You, Very Much."  It gives him ~ and other Islanders ~ many chuckles.

B)

I perverted it by telling Gregg I sometimes enjoy Trash-Talking, Mahalo nui Loa.  ;)

Ash

We've been there a few times. It is so hard to get on the plane going back to the mainland.