Model Cars Magazine Forum

2017 Acura NSX in Valencia Red

baycolony

Nice work! Very clean build.   I have the Studio27 decals too. Any issues with them?

If I were to offer one criticism, its directed towards Gravity Colors, not you. Maybe it just doesn't show from the photos, but its hard to tell that its a tri-coat paint. It seems to lack depth. I note that their Novella Blue is the same...not only does it lack depth, its too dark of a shade. 

Thanks everyone on the comments. 

BVC, I think the lack of depth you mention is more to do with my pictures than the paint.  In person it really pops and got a good reaction from fellow model club members when I brought it to a meeting.  You definitely can see the pearl mid-coat in it.  I use a synthetic lacquer clear coat and not urethane, which I tend to think is too deep for model cars, but overall I am very happy with the result.  I can't speak to the Novelle Blue but I have seen the criticism of that color, but maybe a white primer coat would lighten it a bit. 

• 9 months later...

Lovely build of a seriously cool car. Great job. as for the colour "popping" I think you're doing yourself no favours with your photo setup. Although the black floor and white backdrop seem logical, because it's like your house or a dealership, it makes it much harder for the camera to take a good picture. If you put the model on a single colour background (a sheet of thick paper on the bench and curving up the wall), then the camera will give the whole dynamic range of lighting to the car. As it is, the large areas of black and white are "compressing" the colours in the middle (non-technical description ;-P). You can use white, light grey or black as the background colour, but unless you have a tonne of lights and and ultra-flat material, I'd steer clear of black...

wing-up-left-rear-high-M.jpg

I don't want to hijack your thread, but you can see the richness in the three-layer paint on the LFA much better with the grey background...

best,

M.