Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Hemi Cuda

Jason Rothgeb

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted a "fresh" build here. I put fresh in quotes because although this was only finished a couple of months ago, it has made its rounds at local club meetings, the NNL East, and the "other" message board. I remind myself that each outlet has a few unique users, so for the few folks who might not have seen this: here it is. It is box stock from Revell's most recent issue of this tool with the addition of ignition wiring and wheels. The tires are the no name "Polyglas" tires from the Revell 69 Charger R/T and many others. The rims are from a 69 Roadrunner 440+6 conversion kit. Since that is 1/25 they are a little puny. The hubcaps came from Revell's 70 Road Runner kit. The paint is Tamiya light metallic blue under Tamiya clear. I was attempting to replicate one of the TWO 71 convertible Hemi Cudas with a manual trans sold in the U.S. It sold for two plus million a couple of years back. Both of those cars were B5 (blue fire metallic) blue with blue interiors. This color was supposed to be that color, but by the time it was cleared and polished, it more closely resembles the darker B7 (Jamica) Blue. Sometimes in modeling, you just gotta roll with it.

Easter2008008-vi.jpg

Awesome work Jason! Wasn't the owner of Barrett Jackson the guy who bought one of the real ones a couple of years ago?

It might be a diferent car or the same car at a different times but here is a link to some info on the car: [url=http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/26/auction-action-1971-hemi-cuda-convertible/]

The link above has the car for sale at $4.5 Million. Another blog about a Hemi Convertible which looks to be the same one, had it selling for $2.5 million in 2005. The guy who bought it was trying to corner the market on 1971 Hemi Cuda Converts. There are 11 of them and this guy has the wherewithall to try to buy them all.

Here's another link about the 1:1: [url=http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/20/2007-rm-auction-scottsdale-hemi-cuda-convertible-brings-2-2/]

Edited by Jason Rothgeb