Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria.

Lovefordgalaxie

Another knockout model from the house of Lazzaroni, truly beautiful my friend, you are the master at showing how good these old AMT kits can be, great to see when you hear so many people bashing them saying they are not as good as Revell etc......yes they are !

Another knockout model from the house of Lazzaroni, truly beautiful my friend, you are the master at showing how good these old AMT kits can be, great to see when you hear so many people bashing them saying they are not as good as Revell etc......yes they are !

Thanks Gary!!

You know me, I'm very, very biased towards AMT. It's my favorite model kit company. I like Revell too, and Tamiya (even tough they don't make my kind of car, they have the absolute best supply's one can buy) but AMT got me into this thing of building small plastic replicas of cars I wish I could have, but about 25 times bigger. And the kit is almost contemporary to the real car!! That is a good thing, it means the guys that built the masters for the bodies had the cars fresh on their minds, so they wouldn't do something out of proportion like the Revell '57 Ford... I really like AMT's style, of molding stuff on the chassis. Less parts to be painted separately, less hassle, and less things to fall out of the model over the years when you take them from the box to play a little. You can see I'm obsessed in adding detail, like spark plug wires, and hoses, and fuel lines, and battery cables, and PE parts... NO!!! Box stock is good enough.

Thanks a lot!!

Thank You Dave!! By the way, did you do a box art of this kit for AMT? 

I didn't do a box art build of this particular car for AMT, but it did lead me to building for them. The mid 80s box art for the 56 Ford was horrendous, so I showed them my build and they put me to work building for them for the next 6 years. You'll have to excuse the less than perfect condition of this 28 year old build. I had young kids at the time, and it did do a nose dive off the shelf at one point.

327855_10150606661478102_88822922_o.jpg

323772_10150606661828102_588399925_o.jpg

323570_10150606707813102_1693740660_o.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

I didn't do a box art build of this particular car for AMT, but it did lead me to building for them. The mid 80s box art for the 56 Ford was horrendous, so I showed them my build and they put me to work building for them for the next 6 years. You'll have to excuse the less than perfect condition of this 28 year old build. I had young kids at the time, and it did do a nose dive off the shelf at one point.

327855_10150606661478102_88822922_o.jpg

323772_10150606661828102_588399925_o.jpg

323570_10150606707813102_1693740660_o.jpg

You are referring to the red and white box art with different wheels on each side? That box art build is quite odd. 

The one I thought was yours is this blue and white factory stock Crown Vic:56_Fairlane_CrownVictoria_AMT_000.thumb.

Loved your take on the car. 28 year old or not, it's still a great model. 

I really love this kit, and with that said, I think AMT never really intended  it to be a Crown Victoria. Yes, they give us the chrome "tiara" and a roof insert, but that's about it. It would be necessary to have the chrome "tiara" for the INSIDE of the roof, a secondary set of doors with the Crown Victoria name on them, a separate set of chrome trim for the top of the quarter panels, and a different rear seat, with the correspondent chrome trim on top. 

Now, building a Fairlane Victoria, is straight forward, with no scratchbuilding is necessary. You can build a nice one completely box stock.

In my case, it's not a problem at all, as I really like the Fairlane Victoria, and not so much the Fairlane Crown Victoria, or the Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner. 

Nice model Dave.
I agree with you Túlio, I like the Fairlane Victoria better than the Crown Victoria...and the Customline Victoria Coupe even more as it's quite rare, it was 1956 only and just over 33 000 vehicles made.

Thanks!! My favorite 1956 is the Fairlane Victoria fordor. Super cool hardtop four door. The Customline Victoria was replaced by the Fairlane Club Victoria in 1957. The top of the line for '57 was not the Fairlane anymore, was the Fairlane 500, the the Fairlane replaced the Customline as a mid line car. 

Stunning! I quit.

Thanks!!

I may be inspired to finish mine now.  Been stalled for a couple of years til I found direction.  Seeing yours and going through this replica stock phase I'm in, that may be just the ticket for the next one.  Beautiful work.  

Factory stock. That's the way to go. At least for me. 

Beautiful work and inspirational technique with the home-made foil, textured sill plates, and home-cast tires with separate inserts. Not to mention a very clean and detailed build of the kit itself. Thanks for sharing your process as well as the finished model!

Beautiful work and inspirational technique with the home-made foil, textured sill plates, and home-cast tires with separate inserts. Not to mention a very clean and detailed build of the kit itself. Thanks for sharing your process as well as the finished model!

You are welcome, and thanks for the comment. 

I have a video covering pictures of the entire build.

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie
Replacing non working youtube link