Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Studebaker Avanti (DONE)

landman

I have two of those which I had bought for their engines. Some of you may remember I had built all four Studebaker R engines. They appear to be different vintages of the same kit. One is a gluebomb with original box and instructions which appear to be very old. It is missing the upper front left corner of its roof. The other is newer, but is complete and came in a candy box. This will be the one I'll use in this build. remembering the comments about front fascias in the recent Shelby and Ferrari builds I looked ahead in the instructions. It does say to install the fascia AFTER the chassis, however I tried it and it goes in. So this one will have no seams.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

Edited by landman

Thanks for the link. Lots of detailing and massaging went into that build. I just keep picking up little tidbits from all these build threads. I REALLY appreciate being able to see the little bits and pieces that result in the finished build. It helps newbies like me a LOT.

I bought this same kit a few months ago, and have no plans for building it in the close future, but will be keeping an eye on this build. Maybe it can be my first one for 2018. 

I always thought those cars had a odd feature, the very small front seats. 

For sure, it's the nicest Studebaker, at least IMHO. 

Tonight was interior night.

IMG_6309.JPG.c48729e3f4807a94857bdceb1fbb9fcc.JPG

There was also some thought given to wheels and engines. Either stock with whitewalls or the optional Halibrands with blackwalls.

IMG_6312.JPG.1e8e2b13ac246122ef94f8164b85b8ae.JPG

I have an R3 like Manuel Martinez (Mr Moto) used in his . However it would leave a hole in my R engine display. I may go curbside.

IMG_6313.JPG.e51ba9a51c2a873399e25f14ef4fa347.JPG

Edited by landman

Cool, I have never built this kit but will be watching.

Dan, this kit can be done as a 1963 and by using the "Custom " headlamps , you can do the 1965 version as well. Years back , I had both the Aurora version and the AMT . I'd say either is a worth doing project . The Aurora had an opening trunk and some luggage . The AMT version omits the Opening trunk . The AMT also allows the builder to do the Paxton supercharged version 

Dan, this kit can be done as a 1963 and by using the "Custom " headlamps , you can do the 1965 version as well. Years back , I had both the Aurora version and the AMT . I'd say either is a worth doing project . The Aurora had an opening trunk and some luggage . The AMT version omits the Opening trunk . The AMT also allows the builder to do the Paxton supercharged version 

Except that Studebaker built no 1965 Avanti's, as Studebaker ceased all US production in December, 1963.  Those square "custom" headlghts, though are correct for a '64 Avanti, of which a few were produced. (and of course, most Avanti II's)

Art

Except that Studebaker built no 1965 Avanti's, as Studebaker ceased all US production in December, 1963.  Those square "custom" headlghts, though are correct for a '64 Avanti, of which a few were produced. (and of course, most Avanti II's)

Art

Bad Ellen , BADD BADD BADD ! Yes , you are once again my fearless copy editor and I yield to you Mr. Anderson ! 

The paint I used proved too hot for the plastic. I dread sanding it, it is not really orange peel. So I'll try and level it with clear. Which means doing one side at a time. Foiling's done. Decanted some red to do touch ups after the foiling and to paint the ends of the doors.

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

Edited by landman

Studebaker made changes from car to car; not all 1964 Avantis had the rectangular headlamp bezels (those were an option).  The round ones were actually leftover pickup truck units turned on one side.  The grille below the bumper was a running change also, the earliest cars did not have it but later 1963 cars did.  Another change was the shape of the battery.  The early cars had the long/skinny battery as included in the AMT kit, but late '63 and all '64 cars had a more rectangular one.

Added some gauges. The outline of the one on the left is oval. Looks more like a vent. will check on the net to see if it is a gauge.

IMG_6328.JPG.ee6071452321e120cc1cd1b182bf27c1.JPG

The clear didn't fix the crazing as suggested by David, but it did lessen it. The alternative is stripping and staring over. 

IMG_6329.JPG.cec2aaaf329d4d40c040f5f7fd26fd5a.JPG

Edited by landman