Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Chevy Cooter's tow truck

Digging through some stuff, I found a box full of Cooter's tow truck parts. 3 built trucks with tons of missing parts. So I figured I'd build one box stock & one "my way". This one is the "my way" version. I started by stripping the paint off the cab & chassis & giving it some primer. I didn't have a complete wrecker body for it so I built my own. I don't like the way the kit one is anyway. 

ctt 003.JPG

ctt 005.JPG

ctt 009.JPG

mk4s 002.JPG

That looks great!!! I just picked up a Revell "Midnight Cowboy" for the Holmes 440 rig to do a future project. I sold a couple of them in a past life as a truck salesman, so I am familiar with them, and I know what I want to build. I just have to make time.

Thanks Ron. "Time" that seems to be the hardest part of building sometimes. I used to use the Midnight Cowboy kit too but they can get a little pricey so I just build them. The Holmes is what we had on our last wrecker when I was a kid. It was originally a 1966 Ford f-350 rack body truck & my father used the Holmes body off an old worn out 1960 Dodge we had in the junkyard. He used it for years & towed some big stuff with it too, lots of power in those old 390 Fords.

She's about done. I have to build an exhaust And a few other small details. I built the mirrors from wire & added a little plumbing & wiring under the hood. I had to make it dirty because it's a work truck not a show truck. I'll post some better pics under glass when I get time. Thanks for looking.

004.JPG

cttf 018.JPG

cttf 011.JPG

snug&stuff 019.JPG

Edited by mchook

Thanks Ron. "Time" that seems to be the hardest part of building sometimes. I used to use the Midnight Cowboy kit too but they can get a little pricey so I just build them. The Holmes is what we had on our last wrecker when I was a kid. It was originally a 1966 Ford f-350 rack body truck & my father used the Holmes body off an old worn out 1960 Dodge we had in the junkyard. He used it for years & towed some big stuff with it too, lots of power in those old 390 Fords.

It's kind of funny, in some areas, those old Revell Wreckers are quite expensive, and then some are quite cheap. I have a few of them, just for the wrecker and accessories, as the rest of the kit is junk to me. My plan is to do a few '70's wreckers, using the AMT Ford F350 Kits, Chevy and Dodge pickups for a diorama of a filling station/shop/used car lot I plan to do in the future.  I have just about everything to do it with except time and patience. I even have the first wrecker planned, down to the color.

Yours looks marvelous, and I love that scratch-built body you did on Cooter's Truck. I wonder how many of those would sell if it were properly executed like yours.