Model Cars Magazine Forum

IndyCals tire ring decals?

Hi,

Has any one used the gold tire rings from IndyCals?

Curious on your thoughts.

They seem perfect for an upcoming tribute build that I'm planning.

The blue ones look great as do the red ones.

Thanks in advance.

I've used their Blue Ring ring ones, and they're good. They arent die cut, so you'll have to trim the outside as well as the inside. IndyCal suggests cutting the decals in half and then applying one side at a time. I can concur with this as trying to put them on as a complete circle was a challenge. Splitting them made it easier. 

I've used their Blue Ring ring ones, and they're good. They arent die cut, so you'll have to trim the outside as well as the inside. IndyCal suggests cutting the decals in half and then applying one side at a time. I can concur with this as trying to put them on as a complete circle was a challenge. Splitting them made it easier. 

Hi and thank you sir.

I suspected they were not die cut.  Kind of a bummer.  How do others get that ring effect?  Stencil and brush?

This is a link to Len Woodruff's Daytona Coupe and if memory serves me...which its doing less and less now a days, he used a gel pen. I've not tried this method. I've got more of IndyCals Blue Rings and I do have a set of Gold Rings along with some 1/25 Firestones that are going to end up on a MKiV GT40....some day. 

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/resin-kits/products/hrm-101-cobra-daytona-coupe

This is a link to Len Woodruff's Daytona Coupe and if memory serves me...which its doing less and less now a days, he used a gel pen. I've not tried this method. I've got more of IndyCals Blue Rings and I do have a set of Gold Rings along with some 1/25 Firestones that are going to end up on a MKiV GT40....some day. 

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/resin-kits/products/hrm-101-cobra-daytona-coupe

Hi,

His Daytona is hot, just perfect.  He used a gel pen?  Wow that's crazy.  I may opt for the decal option then.

This is a way I did the redlines in the photo.  I'm pretty ham handed so someone with a more delicate touch could probably do better.  I chucked a dremel sander drum in my cordless drill - moto tool spins too fast.   Then slide the tire over that and get it all true.  Fix the drill some how so you can operate it and the marker part at same time.  Vise, wife, etc.  Sorta like a poverty/ghetto mod - spin the drill at a slowish speed and apply marker to sidewall.  In this case I used a grease pencil/china marker.  But you can use a paint brush, pen etc.  And if you really go all out and make a trie holding mandrel, it would be a lot easier to get them true.  Silver or gold sharpies might work but only apply lightly to get a thin line.  By same token, you can take an x acto and scrape the line back to a thinner line after you make a big line.  Takes a light touch, but worked for me.  

IMG_20170806_103746851_HDR.jpg

Hi,

I just recalled an old post here where a builder used a drawing compass.  But instead of a pencil, they had a brush etc...

One could mount a gel pen on it and try that, hmmmm.

Check this out, only like ~$2.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/maped-study-compass/

56622-1001-2ww-m.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

I had a Staedtler Compass with an adjustable width ink quill that I would fill with red paint to paint redlines. Worked great as I could adjust the line width, until I misplaced it. I tried to find a new one with this tip with no luck, maybe they are not offered anymore. Here is a picture of the tip I am referring to, although this is picture is of an antique set, the tip is the same. 

66c30ca98b33f8edeac052a43691312d.jpg

Edited by Mike Chernecki