Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Foose '48 Cadillac de-Foosed

Perspective Customs

I'm shocked by all the negative comments about Foose, I love the car as a 1:1 but as for building models, I don't want to do someone else's custom, even if it's as gorgeous to me as a Foose's design. I want to put my own spin on it, and what you're doing is so awesome, that roof transplant is what I also intend to do! Too bad we didn't buy those Caddy rear fenders from Modelhaus while they were available! I did manage to get some clear red tail lights so I guess I'll try to scratch the small "fins" for them and graft those onto the rear fenders. LOVE the way yours is looking, got any colors picked out yet?

I'm shocked by all the negative comments about Foose,

You're shocked? I've come to expect  some sort of negativity in nearly every thread in this forum. But, that's just something on the internet as a whole, not restricted to this place.

Anyway, I'm following along with this excellent build. Looking forward to some color shots. 

I'm shocked by all the negative comments about Foose...

Me too. Folks may not like his particular style, but the man is an absolute master of his craft, and that's not a subjective opinion based on whether I "like" his work of not. It's absolute indisputable objective fact. That said...

Jay, I REALLY like what you've done with this. Until you showed us the way, I honestly had no idea how good these mods could look. I applaud your vision, and your skill in making it real.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I wonder if your paint issue on the hood is from using paints from different manufactures? I know that sometimes the formula is just enough different that they don't play nice together. The hood looks as if the first layer of paint might not of dried enough yet to paint over.   

I wonder if your paint issue on the hood is from using paints from different manufactures? I know that sometimes the formula is just enough different that they don't play nice together. The hood looks as if the first layer of paint might not of dried enough yet to paint over.   

You're probably right about mixing the formulas but I wonder why (but am glad) that it 

Jay, I REALLY like what you've done with this. Until you showed us the way, I honestly had no idea how good these mods could look. I applaud your vision, and your skill in making it real.

Thank you very much sir. 

The moveable bubble light (solid red plastic blob) from the "tomato" Torino  by Revellogram could be a start for that distinguished taillight of the Caddy. 

Both great suggestions. I have a die cast '51 Caddy I would snatch the taillights from, it's the fins and getting them both correct, that would be the challenge for me.

I've had that paint cracking happen too. As I remember it was because I waited too long after the color coat to apply the clear. I think there is a window, but I don't know what it was. Maybe 24 hours?

What did you do to fix it? There's quite a bit of bondo under the paint and I'm not sure how it would hold up in the purple stuff.

I believe it was a solid color Tamiya covered with their gloss clear, so I sanded the paint until it was smooth, repainted the color, and sprayed the gloss as soon as the color coat was dry. If you want to strip it, you might try 91% rubbing alcohol. Has to be 91%. I think  the alcohol won't affect the bondo. 

Is the Model Master paint you refer to the Testors enamel? I don't recall that light purple available in their lacquer line(but I could be wrong). Combining that with the Tamiya pearl clear, which I'm pretty sure is a lacquer, could be the issue. I know the Tamiya and Testors lacquers have a reputation for being relatively mild, but that could be your problem. Also, the wait time between coats could be the issue as someone else mentioned. I usually don't go more than 10 minutes between coats of the Testors/Tamiya lacquers, or wait several days(overnight in a dehydrator). You can go from color to clear in that same time frame. Also, the Testors/Tamiya lacquers, I've used them in conjunction with each other many, many times with no issues, as long as you stay within those spray parameters.

I hope you can work out the paint issue because that color looks very classy on your build.

Is the Model Master paint you refer to the Testors enamel? I don't recall that light purple available in their lacquer line(but I could be wrong). Combining that with the Tamiya pearl clear, which I'm pretty sure is a lacquer, could be the issue. I know the Tamiya and Testors lacquers have a reputation for being relatively mild, but that could be your problem. Also, the wait time between coats could be the issue as someone else mentioned. I usually don't go more than 10 minutes between coats of the Testors/Tamiya lacquers, or wait several days(overnight in a dehydrator). You can go from color to clear in that same time frame. Also, the Testors/Tamiya lacquers, I've used them in conjunction with each other many, many times with no issues, as long as you stay within those spray parameters.

I hope you can work out the paint issue because that color looks very classy on your build.

You are correct. It's Testor enamel not Model Master. I'll follow your suggested wait times between coats when I respray. I used Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and wiped off all the paint and primer then washed the hood with dishwashing liquid. Letting it dry thoroughly before I try it again. 

20171118_180609.jpg

20171118_182159.jpg

Edited by Perspective Customs

• 4 weeks later...
On September 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Perspective Customs said:

Lots of great comments, some that made me laugh out loud. To be clear, this build is not intended to be a dig against Chip Foose. I respect his talent which has gained him tremendous success even though I may not be a fan of all his work and I do think Overhaulin' is a bit too fluffy for my taste. Truth is I kind of like the Eldorod, I'm just not one to build what someone else has already done, the exception being my dad's '67 Galaxie. If you think about it, if it weren't for the Eldorod, Revell would probably never produce a '48 Eldorado so I'm thankful that they did and I'll put my own spin on it. Now back to the build.

After reading through your thread, Jay, I like the compliments you paid to Foose.  He is very talented and I actually do like most of his builds including the Eldorod.  Like you, I guess I'm not a replica builder.  I like to use my builds to express myself and see what I'm capable of.  As you know' I'm into my own build thread and challenged by your build to see what I can dream up with mine.  Thanks for sharing your ideas on your build.?????????  Gorgeous restyle,  Jay!!!  I love it...I'm kinda thinking of doing a fastback transplant as an encore to the current Caddy.  Thanks for leading the way!!!??

Edited by geewhiz

• 3 months later...