Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Honda S800 "Shelby Homage"

Chuck Most

I figured if the Shelby Formula of a Ford V8 in a small British sports car worked pretty well, it might work equally well in a small Japanese car. I'd originally planned to do it as a period-correct "what-if", but eventually decided on an up-to-date style in a similar spirit. To that end, I started with the Tamiya Honda S800 Racing version, installed an engine from the Revell '90 Mustang drag car, wheels from the Revell '50 Ford F-1 with Toyo tires from one of the tuner kits, and converted the dash to LHD. I also added a mesh grille and added a hood scoop to clear the Edelbrock plenum. The car is painted Testors Bronze because I wanted it to look nice but not overly flashy. The side pipes were made from plastic rod in two diameters. 

21752416_2000024250281630_68643845565499

21751599_2000024050281650_17024047502308

21462808_2000024046948317_62341664183668

21751996_2000024023614986_56592701641921

Edited by Chuck Most

Too cool. That thing would be a rocket with the little Ford V8. They only weighed about 1700 lb. A friend of mine autocrossed one on Okinawa when he was stationed there, routinely set FTD (fast time of the day)...with the little stock 70 HP engine, tuned. The early chain-drive rear end was a real hoot, but this one would have had a conventional live rear axle.

Anyway, great idea, nice execution. Big smile maker, this.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The engine sets down in there perfectly, or did you do a lot of surgery?  The hood looks like it would almost clear the top of the intake manifold. The wheels look good if not a little oversized for the body, could be hard to turn. Very smooth body work and paint.     

Thanks guys! 

Too cool. That thing would be a rocket with the little Ford V8. They only weighed about 1700 lb. A friend of mine autocrossed one on Okinawa when he was stationed there, routinely set FTD (fast time of the day)...with the little stock 70 HP engine, tuned. The early chain-drive rear end was a real hoot, but this one would have had a conventional live rear axle.

Anyway, great idea, nice execution. Big smile maker, this.   :D

The stock version of this kit has the correct (and fascinatingly weird) chain drive that the street version would have had, this one started as the racing version, which has a slick little solid axle/trailing arm/coilover setup, which I retained for this model. Not sure how that little axle would hold up behind a 5.0, but I'll just pretend it's a narrowed 8.8" under there. :) 

The engine sets down in there perfectly, or did you do a lot of surgery?  The hood looks like it would almost clear the top of the intake manifold. The wheels look good if not a little oversized for the body, could be hard to turn. Very smooth body work and paint.     

I had to cut out a crossmember and move the firewall back to fit the V8. I also did a little filing to the inner fenders but in hindsight I'm not convinced that was necessary. Yeah, the wheels wouldn't turn like that 1:1 unless you had air springs, but I figured "It's a model and it's not like it'll ever have to make a turn." :P As far as the intake clearing the hood... well, looks can be deceiving. Before I cut the hole the hood would float above the opening at the cowl by about twice the thickness of the hood itself.

Well, it looks good, but I think if it were in scale, the small block Ford's headers would be past the inner fenders and the intake would be above the hoodline.

Right on both counts. The headers come out right about where the occupant's heels would have rested on the floor. The beginning of the side pipes line up with the ends of the headers. Hood clearance is one reason why the air filter is angled to the rear- and also because the factory Honda hood has some ventilation slots there anyway. 

How'd you get plastic rod to make those side pipe turns?

Hollow rod? or drilled out end?

Solid rod bent to a 90 degree angle. Once everything was glued, the ends were drilled out. 

Edited by Chuck Most