Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's out there, Revell / Monogram 1940 Ford kits ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, you would need the Pro Modeler kit to build a totally stock convertible.

That's too bad. It sucks that Revell has a tendency to do that. Make you buy one kit if you want a stock version. And another for the street rod version. I like to have the option, like the old AMT kits, to build which version I'd like all in one box. I like my early cars that look completely stock on the outside. But, have a hopped up engine under the hood. A good old street sleeper. But Revell, with a lot of its kits, say I can only build it stock or street rod if I buy only one kit. It's a shame.

I'm building the Standard Business Coupe boxed by Monogram, and even tough the kit can be built stock, the upholstery is all done on the same pattern as the '40 Deluxe Convertible. They "standardized" the dash, but even tough the decal is wrong. Door panels, the seat, and side panels all have wrong upholstery for a Coupe, both Standard or Deluxe.

I'm building the Standard Business Coupe boxed by Monogram, and even tough the kit can be built stock, the upholstery is all done on the same pattern as the '40 Deluxe Convertible. They "standardized" the dash, but even tough the decal is wrong. Door panels, the seat, and side panels all have wrong upholstery for a Coupe, both Standard or Deluxe.

Interesting to know. So no version of the Standard '40 coupe is correct? That again is too bad.

Well, I have Lindberg's Deluxe '40 Ford coupe. So I guess I really don't need the Revell Standard coupe since it's not right. After all, AMT's '39 (I know, really a '40) has basically the same front end. 

The interior can be fixed with a little work. I plan on fixing it next time I build a '40 Standard. 

Some very cool kitbashing could be done using the AMT 40 Tudor and the Revellogram Standard, with the grille and dash, plus some massaging on the '39 hood, you can turn the AMT into a Standard. You can use the entire Revell chassis under it. 

I'm not much of a fan of the Lindeberg '40, as it has the same "low detail" people complain about the AMT kit, plus a lot more crudeness to deal with. 

By the way, are you building the AMT Tudor with a build thread? It's my kind of build. 

The interior can be fixed with a little work. I plan on fixing it next time I build a '40 Standard. 

Some very cool kitbashing could be done using the AMT 40 Tudor and the Revellogram Standard, with the grille and dash, plus some massaging on the '39 hood, you can turn the AMT into a Standard. You can use the entire Revell chassis under it. 

I'm not much of a fan of the Lindeberg '40, as it has the same "low detail" people complain about the AMT kit, plus a lot more crudeness to deal with. 

By the way, are you building the AMT Tudor with a build thread? It's my kind of build. 

No thread to any of my builds. I haven't figured out a way to post pictures here, yet. 

Low detail with the Lindberg '40? I'm talking about their 1/25 scale coupe. It's no where near as bad as people think it is. The 1/32 scale Lindberg '40 convertible? That I don't know? I've never owned one. 

No thread to any of my builds. I haven't figured out a way to post pictures here, yet. 

Low detail with the Lindberg '40? I'm talking about their 1/25 scale coupe. It's no where near as bad as people think it is. The 1/32 scale Lindberg '40 convertible? That I don't know? I've never owned one. 

To some people, having the exhaust molded into the floor, and having low parts count is low detail. Heck, people call the AMT '57 Ford a low detail kit, as the frame and exhaust are molded on the floor pans, and the engine has less detail than the Revell '57. Nevertheless the AMT '57 is still my favorite kit. 

I'm NOT one of those people. I like the AMT '40 a lot better than the Revell, that has twice as many parts, if not more (considering a factory stock build).

The Lindberg doesn't have the same quality the AMT Coupe has. I bought one, and there are many parts that are quite crude if compared to the AMT, a 50+ year old kit. The engine heads are flat, the air cleaner comes in two halves, the radiator is one piece and it's hollow, there are two vertical lines on the grilles on the fenders that shouldn't be there, and my kit came with a body so badly molded the door lines were almost unresistant. The frame had a LOT of markings corresponding to scratches on the tooling, and flash was everywhere. LOt's of patience is needed to turn the Lindberg into a good replica, almost like working with a resin kit. I took lot's of pictures of the two side by side, Lindberg and AMT, and the AMT looks like a Tamiya kit close to the Lindberg.

The better part about it are the chrome parts, like bumpers, headlights, hubcaps, trim rings, all interchange with the AMT kit, and thanks to that Lindberg kit I restored a very old AMT build that had missing parts.

That's the reason I took so long to actualy buy a Lindberg '53 Ford kit. I was afraid it were as bad. My mistake, the '53 is a great kit.  

To some people, having the exhaust molded into the floor, and having low parts count is low detail. Heck, people call the AMT '57 Ford a low detail kit, as the frame and exhaust are molded on the floor pans, and the engine has less detail than the Revell '57. Nevertheless the AMT '57 is still my favorite kit. 

I'm NOT one of those people. I like the AMT '40 a lot better than the Revell, that has twice as many parts, if not more (considering a factory stock build).

The Lindberg doesn't have the same quality the AMT Coupe has. I bought one, and there are many parts that are quite crude if compared to the AMT, a 50+ year old kit. The engine heads are flat, the air cleaner comes in two halves, the radiator is one piece and it's hollow, there are two vertical lines on the grilles on the fenders that shouldn't be there, and my kit came with a body so badly molded the door lines were almost unresistant. The frame had a LOT of markings corresponding to scratches on the tooling, and flash was everywhere. LOt's of patience is needed to turn the Lindberg into a good replica, almost like working with a resin kit. I took lot's of pictures of the two side by side, Lindberg and AMT, and the AMT looks like a Tamiya kit close to the Lindberg.

The better part about it are the chrome parts, like bumpers, headlights, hubcaps, trim rings, all interchange with the AMT kit, and thanks to that Lindberg kit I restored a very old AMT build that had missing parts.

That's the reason I took so long to actualy buy a Lindberg '53 Ford kit. I was afraid it were as bad. My mistake, the '53 is a great kit.  

I'd love to see your comparison of AMT's and Lindberg's '40 Ford coupe kits. Your comparison of IMC's and Revell's '48 Ford coupes was great. Do you have a link to take us to your '40 comparison?

Because of the discussion here, Model Mountain received an order for two models from me this morning. One is for the Revell ProModeler '40 Ford convertible. The other for Revell's first issue of the stock '40 Ford Standard coupe. I wanted first issues of both models after seeing what you guys had to say here. And looking at other info on web. They each had the right parts for what I wish to build.

Both will be built basically straight stock. With the exception of maybe using some of the speed equipment for the engine under the hood of the convertible. In general I like my models to represent factory stock cars one would buy off the show floor. This does create a slight problem with the coupe. Since the interior in the kit represents the Deluxe interior. Convertible no less. But I can over look this by saying that somebody really wanted a Deluxe coupe, but liked the front end of the Standard model better. And had Ford Custom build one them one. This will also be my excuse for leaving the grille and headlamp rings unpainted, in chrome. I like stock, factory built cars. But I'm not anal about it. 

By the way, I like the fact that the Revell stock '40 Fords come with the Columbia two speed rear ends. This was a Ford authorized accessory back in the day. And from what I've heard and read a very nice feature to have on a vintage Ford today. '40 Fords can cruise easily at 60 mph. But, they are much more comfortable doing it with a Columbia rear end. It's cool that Revell saw fit to put this in their kits. 

To go along with the Revell '40 Ford Standard coupe kit. I bought from another vendor on eBay the correct dash board decals for the kit. The instrument decals Revell includes for their kit are correct for the '40 Ford Deluxe models. Not the Standard models. So there is a vendor out there offering correct ones. Even though it will probably be though to see when the kit is finished. I had to do it.