Model Cars Magazine Forum

How I spent my weekend. [February update on mt 1/1 project]

Can-Con

Cool. Looks good. I have a lot of respect for a man who paints his own car.  :D

That's the way I got in the resto / race-car / hot-rod business. Every time I paid somebody else what I was quoted for a "good" job, it was crapp. I figured I could do a better job, for the same money, using top-line materials. The rest, as they say, is history.

Cool. Looks good. I have a lot of respect for a man who paints his own car.  :D

That's the way I got in the resto / race-car / hot-rod business. Every time I paid somebody else what I was quoted for a "good" job, it was crapp. I figured I could do a better job, for the same money, using top-line materials. The rest, as they say, is history.

In all honesty Bill, my uncle wanted to spray the final color coat and the clear. but his garage and equipment so I didn't want to say no. I would have rather done it all myself though. [there are some things I would have done differently]

I did do the bodywork that wasn't welding and sprayed most of the color on ,,  and the color sanding and buffing will be all mine. 

Edited by Can-Con

Snowy day with nothing to do except work on models.

but before I go start on that I thought I'd post an update on my T/A.

Haven't touched it since Christmas as it's too cold out in my garage now but I had done some work on the paint before putting it away for the winter.

Wet sanded it with 400 , 800 , 1000 then 2000 grit paper then buffed it out with 3M compound. 

Turning out pretty good but I should have done more prep on the doors before painting. There's some small waviness that's more visible now that it's shiny that I didn't see before. I'm gonna try spraying a few more coats of clear on the doors and block them out and buff then out again when it warms up. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

IMG 2255

IMG 2256

IMG 2261

IMG 2263