Model Cars Magazine Forum

My next modeling project... Maybe.

Along with my passion for building model cars, I'm also in to 1:1 cars. I'm big into Oldsmobile's and I've come across this old girl. Shes a 1955 Holiday 88 2 Dr, with a 324 cid with a 2 barrel carb and a 4 speed automatic. The cars from Arizona and is rust free and solid. The motor needs a bit of TLC, but it runs good and drives very well for a 63 year old car. The only thing that is off about this car is the colours. The two tone Brown and Cream needs to go. The next time I go to see the seller I'm going to take a photo of the build plate and go on line and decode the numbers and see if the colours that are on her are correct .If all goes to plan, I should have her in my garage by mid October and get some engine work done over the winter so she'll be ready for the cruise season next spring.  

58123324-770-0@2X.jpg

58123327-770-0@2X.jpg

Edited by kitbash1

That is a nice looking car, but I agree on the colors.  To me, brown and beige tend to be the colors of throw away appliance cars that are cruising 5-10mph below the limit while blocking traffic.  If those are the factory colors and/or the paint is decent with an immediate repaint that isn't in the foreseable future, look at Dip-Your-Car.  They offer colors that would be perfect on cars like this and, so long as it is correctly applied, and will peel off when you no longer need it, plus will protect the original finish.  Some of the best parts of it is that if you need to start from scratch, they sell full kits with everything you need at a way cheaper price than it would cost for MAACO to do the work with less flashy paint finishes and if you feel like a color change, you just have to make sure the car is cleaned to what is preferred to apply, mask the car off, then start putting the new color(s) down, no wet sanding, scuffing compatability issues, ect, just make sure the car is cleaned to their specs and start mixing and shooting. A buddy of mine is doing rust repair on his  gunmetal grey '07 or '08 regular cab/short bed Silverado (that looks like it is getting nearly as rusty as my '98 Cherokee) and is planning on putting their Slate Blue on it with their Glossifier top coat, and paid about $400 for the DIY kit, which included the sprayer.  Cost will depend on the dip purchased, with some of the wilder pearls and flips costing more, but still being stupidly cheap compared to real paint, especially something comparable.

I don't think the color is all that bad.

Looks like "Metallic Bronze" & "Shell Beige".

Personally, I think that the most obvious appearance upgrade would be a set of stock hub caps & some wide whites.

That would "class" it up a lot. ;)

Steve

Ditto. Nice car. 

Along with my passion for building model cars, I'm also in to 1:1 cars. I'm big into Oldsmobile's and I've come across this old girl. Shes a 1955 Holiday 88 2 Dr, with a 324 cid with a 2 barrel carb and a 4 speed automatic. The cars from Arizona and is rust free and solid. The motor needs a bit of TLC, but it runs good and drives very well for a 63 year old car. The only thing that is off about this car is the colours. The two tone Brown and Cream needs to go. The next time I go to see the seller I'm going to take a photo of the build plate and go on line and decode the numbers and see if the colours that are on her are correct .If all goes to plan, I should have her in my garage by mid October and get some engine work done over the winter so she'll be ready for the cruise season next spring.  

58123324-770-0@2X.jpg

58123327-770-0@2X.jpg

You lucky dog you. I personally like the post two doors to most hardtops, and a '50's thru '60's Olds, Pontiac, or even a Buick just look great to me. While the paint job seems to be a big stumbling block for you at least it looks to be in decent shape for now. Depending on what you plan to do and how much you can afford at this time at least it looks very presentable going in. This will give you time to address the engine issues and what ever else you may find. I think the open grill looks good, and what a set of Olds Fiesta hub caps would do great.   

I don't think the color is all that bad.

Looks like "Metallic Bronze" & "Shell Beige".

Personally, I think that the most obvious appearance upgrade would be a set of stock hub caps & some wide whites.

That would "class" it up a lot. ;)

Steve

Thanks for the feed-back guy's. The car comes with the original steelies and hubcaps as well as the large center part of the grill. The wheels that are on it now are from a Buick Wildcat. I had the vendor email me a shot of the build plate, and the colours that are on it now are the factory colours it was built with. The colours are Bronze and Polar White, although it looks like cream to me. If I do get the car the first thing I'm going to look for are a set of rear wheel skirts.

Thanks for the feed-back guy's. The car comes with the original steelies and hubcaps as well as the large center part of the grill. The wheels that are on it now are from a Buick Wildcat. I had the vendor email me a shot of the build plate, and the colours that are on it now are the factory colours it was built with. The colours are Bronze and Polar White, although it looks like cream to me. If I do get the car the first thing I'm going to look for are a set of rear wheel skirts.

The skirts would go a long way to making it look a little nicer too.

If the wheels & hubcaps come with it, you're half way home.

All you need is a set of wide whites.

They'll make a big difference. 

Steve

ebay796995.jpg

Sweet find! I like the color combo, but here's a quick Earl Scheib photoshop:

7.thumb.jpg.ca0c82e8b5397fd8de465acab2a8

Note how it makes the Polar White pop a bit more.

The wheels you have look like the ones with the smaller bolt pattern used on the later '60s to mid-'70s smaller series Buicks (Skylark, Regal, Century, base LeSabre) - I have a set on my '78 LeSabre that came from a '76 Regal. Just so you know in case you decide to sell them.