Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not sure whether this has any value...

I found this Ford demo model in my late father-in-law's hobby stash. It's in pretty good shape and is in the original box. Anyone ever seen one of these and have any idea of what it would be worth to a collector? It's made of rather thick plastic and has a lot of descriptions written on the underside. I think it's a promo model handed out by dealerships as a premium to favored clients, etc. but can't say for sure as I've never seen one of these in the wild. Any help appreciated!

2017-09-17 16.16.53.jpg

2017-09-17 16.17.04.jpg

2017-09-17 16.17.33.jpg

2017-09-17 16.18.44.jpg

2017-09-17 16.18.51.jpg

That's in great shape, and you even have the box that goes with it.  I'd leave it alone.

Ironic that the return address for Ford was in Plymouth, Michigan.  I was in Plymouth a few years back, I wonder where Ford may have been there.

Ok, I did some asking around with a couple guys I know that collect dealer promos. ( I used to collect Mopar promos )

Seems the beige/ white one is worth in the $25 to $35 range. the easiest one to find of the group

Red is a little more in the $35 to $50 range.

Seems the Dark blue will easily bring $150 and up ( much harder to find mint )

As to what it's worth, that would be what someone is willing to pay. Not sure of your personal interest in modeling as a whole or attending model shows, but a thought if you should want to show your model. One it is in excellent condition and I would suggest leaving it as is. Two you have the box that it came in. While that fact isn't that special I think the fact it was mailed by Ford to your father in law as unusual. Since he was a modeler this may have happened at his request or Ford had a special promotional thing at that time. Usually dealers would order a case or two from the manufactures with a mixed batch of models to hand out as they saw fit. If you were to show it at a model show I would include the box in the display. The information molded into the frame and floor boards was the norm at that time on Ford models and Promos and I think it might of even been part of the licensing agreement between Ford and the Promo makers. This type of information was not seen on the GM and Chrysler Promos of that time. Then again you and your wife may have an emotional attachment in which case I would preserve it.     

That's in great shape, and you even have the box that goes with it.  I'd leave it alone.

Ironic that the return address for Ford was in Plymouth, Michigan.  I was in Plymouth a few years back, I wonder where Ford may have been there.

Typically the convertible sells for $25-$35 as a junker (broken windshield, missing steering wheel, etc.).  If this is as nice as it looks, it should sell for around $100 or more.  I believe the return address is for a marketing company that handled promotional items for companies such as recognition gifts for employees or clients.  I cannot remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it's no longer in business.  It's last address was near the former Daisy Air Rifle plant that moved to Arkansas in 1958.  (The plant has now been completely torn down.)  Ford did have a Climate Control plant on the west boundary of Plymouth that opened in 1964 and closed several years ago.  For Ford's 100th Anniversary show at World HQ, they hired another marketing company to sell promotional items, which is cheaper than having their own staff handle this task.      

Come to think of it, Adistra was in the Daisy plant's Administration Building, the facade of which was torn down a few years ago.  The property is a condominium project that only completed two of three planned buildings near a railroad track.  The city tried to save the facade (kind of a Greek Revival style) as the front of the third condo building, but the builder never built it. The King Air Rifle Building next door survives.