Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Mercury Woody

Mercuryman54

This is my first on the Workbench post. Hang on this may be a long one?. I started with a Jimmy Flintstone 1953 Ford Woody. I'm starting out with pics of the resin woody, a 1:1 53 Ford woody and a few pictures of 1:1 1954 Mercury Woodies. This is to show the difference between the two. I'll be adding as life allows. I have most of the body roughed in and all the wood changes. I'm carving the bumpers out of glued up styrene. I have measured my 1:1 1954 Mercury Sun Valley for general parts they have in common. But a lot of what I do is by eye. You all will be the judge?. Thanks for looking.

Dennis

IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Here we go!! A few pictures of the changing of the wood on the sides. Hood roughed in and taillight extensions. Started reshaping of the front wheel openings. All of the work so far is just roughed in. Also scratch building/modifying the Lindberg 1953 Ford interior. Comments welcome. Will post as it progress allows. 

Thanks for looking, Dennis 

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

I like your conversion work on the wood trim. The tail lights look in the picture as if they extend to far back, but since you have a 1:1 car to measure from it may just be the picture. In the 1:1 world this is an easier conversion than I would have thought. Your post reminded me of a short article in the Nov. '17 issue of Street Rodder magazine. A "Merc Guy" converted a two door Ford wagon into a "54 Mercury. He made it look showroom stock and might give you some perspective on your build. He did it without wood trim but it looks factory to me.

Very ambitious project of a beautiful vehicle.You have obviously planned your work very carefully as the work done looks right on target. You are you brave soul too carve the bumpers from scratch but they appear very accurate. I look forward to seeing it develop. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

I like your conversion work on the wood trim. The tail lights look in the picture as if they extend to far back, but since you have a 1:1 car to measure from it may just be the picture. In the 1:1 world this is an easier conversion than I would have thought. Your post reminded me of a short article in the Nov. '17 issue of Street Rodder magazine. A "Merc Guy" converted a two door Ford wagon into a "54 Mercury. He made it look showroom stock and might give you some perspective on your build. He did it without wood trim but it looks factory to me.

Posting a few pictures of 1:1 Mercury wagons showing maybe a little better of how the taillight extensions are longer on the wagons. I may need to shorten them a bit. But for me it's easier to shorten than extend. Thanks for looking, Dennis 

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

Although the chassis is not totally correct for a 1954 FoMoCo product, I basically used the 53 ford frame for this build with some modification. I probably should have used the 56. I did use the Y-block from the 56 as the 1954 Fords and Mercs were the first year for the Y-blocks. I just used the dual quad intake and carbs for something different. 

We live near a small sport fishing lake here in Ohio and every July they host a "Vintage wheels and wooden keels" boat and car show.The wooden boats that show up there are phenominal things to behold with mirror straight varnished wood,gleaming brass and chrome  fittings and vintage engines of all possible origins.Some and dual engine monsters,others powered by Packard 12 cyl.engines,Etc.Any engine within reason would be acceptable as long as the year of the engine correspond correctly to the year of the boat's manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...