Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Dodge 'Country' Charger Open Box Review

hpiguy

18 hours ago, Bainford said:

I think Round2 took the wrong tack when they 'fixed' the rear window on the MPC Charger. With Revell's far superior 68-70 Chargers available, any attempt to directly compete with the MPC Charger is wasted money and effort. They should have gone in the other direction and improved the Charger 500 version of the MPC kit. Ditch the R/T stuff and give us a good 500 grill with separate headlights. That's something Revell does not have, and is therefore a potentially viable product. Over the years, I have built more MPC Chargers than anything else, but as long as Revell produces their excellent Chargers, I won't buy another MPC. Make it into an accurate Charger 500, and I'd buy one. Thankfully I still have an MPC 500 from the last release in the 90s, though the grill is only so-so.

Bottom line, there seems no point in spending money/effort in improving the MPC Charger R/T when there are so many other great projects for Round2 to tackle. My 2 cents.

I'd go for that. The 500 does away with the inaccurate rear window issue. Also, the 500's front grille, although is so-so, it's far better than the Country Charger with it's 3rd gen inserts. The hood that came with the 500 was also better fitting and more accurate to a '69. Some re-working on the front wheel arches and the cowl vent would make it a very nice 500 body.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Some good points raised. I don't think there is anyone more than me who would love to see this kit come back in it's original annual form, but with the mould being so badly worn out, not to mention the inaccuracies, it would probably mean a complete redo like the '68 Coronet. Unless R2 included all the custom parts that originally came with it I doubt it would sell much better than it already does if they just repaired the body and left it there. With that said, I'd recon it would sell extremely well if the custom parts were repaired and included. Maybe there's a licencing issue with the custom parts. Did Dean Jeffries actually design a Dodge Charger like that on the box art or was it just a marketing thing? ...like the Dirty Donny '71 Charger? 

blank.jpg

Original Issue MPC 69 Charger built with the custom tail panel and the C pilar fillers like the rendering.

MPC 69 Charger custom 01.jpg

MPC 69 Charger custom 02.jpg

MPC 68 Charger Custom artwork.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Carmak said:

Original Issue MPC 69 Charger built with the custom tail panel and the C pilar fillers like the rendering.

MPC 69 Charger custom 02.jpg

Love the custom rear end with it's quarter bumpers. I have an unbuilt annual '68 and '69. I'll be making resin casts of them, and the parts, when I get time so I can do both the box art custom and the Dick Landy version.