Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Thanks very much Eric, and I shall continue to post more photos in this topic for as long as I can keep it running. So far, I have logged 4,042 views of the Hooper & Co Diorama which is far more than I had expected. Pleased to hear that you like it of course, and I will try to provide further interesting photos of my project.

Just to summarise.... recent work in progress has included extending the Hooper & Co building to four floors, which was how it looked between 1938 and 1959. The interior lighting system of the building is now a proper dolls' house lighting set up and the two showrooms have highly polished crimson wood flooring, with framed paintings on the showroom walls and a classic pine staircase with a brass handrail. The collection of scale model cars now stands at 27 vehicles, including built plastic kits, diecast models and resin cast models. As well as the nine Rolls-Royce motor cars, there are two Bentleys, six sports cars, one London bus, one Bedford tanker, one London taxi and a second London taxi to be converted. Hopefully this diorama will be exhibited at an International Rolls-Royce show during June of this year, but this has yet to be confirmed officially.

David

Thanks very much Kurt, and I can recommend Shapeways 3D printed figures from first hand experience. The website, as you have probably found already, has an enormous range of products available and you do have to spend dome time browsing through the pages of figures. Also, and this is a personal view, they show a white figure on a white background, so I find it a little difficult to determine the precise pose and features of each figure. However on the plus side, the quality of the figures is extremely good, the prices are not always expensive, the delivery is quick and reliable from the Netherlands and the after sales support is really good. Myself, I uploaded the design file for my 3D CAD created Rolls-Royce 6 cylinder engine in 1:24 scale and not only did Shapeways produce a nice model for me, but when there were some initial issues they sorted out the problem by a series of helpful emails from a person who genuinely cared about the result.

The material that the Shapeways figures are printed from is very odd, in the sense that it doesn't like super glue, which doesn't seem to work, also bare metal foil will not stick to the material and although you can cut the material with a hacksaw, it is a very hard material. That said, you can paint the figures with enamel paint once the figure has been thoroughly washed in soapy water, and I haven't tried acrylic paint yet. My best two figures would be the man who appears in the blue suit in my diorama photos, and also the lady with the long pale blue dress. When I did have a problem with one of the other figures, which was one that would not stand up, I was able to email the designer directly and he made great efforts to change the design of his figure, eventually sending me a second figure free of charge.

Sourcing 1:24 scale figures is actually very difficult, with a limited choice on the market so it is refreshing to see this vast amount of products being offered by the Shapeways company. You can see the figure in 3D view before you order it and they do state the precise dimensions of the figure or object. All the items are available in a range of material types and colours ( and prices ), so there is everything from white strong and flexible, to ultra frosted detail, even silver, gold and stainless steel ! The Shapeways company seem to be the most forward thinking, innovative provider of 3D printed products on the planet.

David J Watson

Here are the most recent additions to the diorama project..... there are brass plaques at the base of the ground floor windows that say 'Hooper' and also an A3 poster of a painting by Eric Ravilious of the building from 1938. The Morris Minor Traveller in British Racing Green is a resin body shell with most of the model being scratch built, apart from the interior which is from a Tamiya Morris Mini donor kit.

As always, thanks for looking at my project as a work in progress...... all comments and suggestions welcome.

David

101_5069.JPG

101_5187.JPG

101_5137.JPG

101_5145.JPG

Watson Fuels deliver in all weathers...... Yes, that is real snow in the photo and it is minus 4 degrees outside. The Bedford tanker gets through.

Also, a few up to date photos of the resin bodied Morris Minor Traveller which is now a completed build.

David

101_5335.JPG

101_5347.JPG

101_5353.JPG

101_5418.JPG

101_5454.JPG

101_5479.JPG

My only suggestion is to box up the entire lot and mail it to my address without delay. You can mail it to my attention: Eric Macleod....

Seriously, this is pretty amazing. I like everything you have done. If I had just one model of this caliber I would be happy. You have an entire diorama!

E-

Well I don't know what to say Eric..... your compliments and words of encouragement are very much  appreciated, I can tell you.

I see this diorama project as something that will continue to evolve, rather than a project that has a beginning and an ending. There will always be something that I can add to the building, or the roads, or the models and really I haven't yet given due consideration to the figures. Clearly, a busy London scene like this would have many more people in view and obviously there would be more than one taxi !

At the moment, as well as building a Jaguar MK I car from 1955, I am about to produce an acrylic painting which is going to serve as the background to the far end of St James's Street, and the painting will be part of a foreground / middle ground / background arrangement. Hoping this will work, because if it does there will exist an illusion of perspective and distance, without the viewer being able to determine where the baseboard ends and the acrylic background painting begins. Consequently, any photographs taken of the diorama scene, looking towards the perspective painting should appear to be absolutely real. The photo below shows the scene as it was in September 2017, with the grey building on the left being the 1958 building from my diorama.

David

101_4112.JPG

You are right about the modern street markings Eric, and I am pretty sure they would not have been there in the 1950's. Apart from the zebra crossing this scene wouldn't have had double yellow lines or even lane markings at that time. Very observant of you. The idea at the moment is to bring out the pink coloured building that you see over to the right hand side, by making it a balsa wood relief component of the painting. In this way it will not be a part of the painting in the background, nor will it be a part of the diorama foreground, but instead it will be the middle ground. Anything that appears in the middle ground will serve to blur the line between foreground and background.

I haven't been able to source any photographs from 1958 that show this view looking up St James's Street towards Piccadilly, so I am using Google Maps street view as a reference tool. Although this is a marvellous tool, and it is very helpful, the problem is that the vehicles and markings are much too modern and also the camera angles from the roof mounted  camera are rear facing and on the wrong side of the road. As you may have noticed, the large building on the left hand side, which is next door to the Hooper & Co building is covered completely in scaffolding and PVC sheets. This is a shame because that building is very old and could have provided period detail.

David

There is some more work to do on the background perspective painting for the diorama, but here are some photos of the background panel in place.

I am quite pleased, and somewhat relieved, that the perspective does actually work! The pinkish coloured building that you see to the right of centre is made from balsa wood and this is the middle ground. Still need to match the colours of the road in the foreground (diorama) with the road colour in the background (painting). Tested this scenario using different lighting conditions, ranging from one 100W daylight bulb to two 100W bulbs then three 100W bulbs.

Thanks for looking....

David

101_5693.JPG

101_5696.JPG

101_5697.JPG

101_5699.JPG

101_5715.JPG

101_5722.JPG

101_5725.JPG

101_5727.JPG

101_5733.JPG

The kerb stones need final correction, but the surface of the road and the pavements is now the correct colour. Experimenting with different model cars and figures placed in certain positions. Lighting strength and angle is crucial to achieve the seamless transition from foreground to background.

David

101_5739.JPG

101_5749.JPG

101_5751.JPG

101_5756.JPG

101_5758.JPG

101_5770.JPG

101_5773.JPG

101_5775.JPG

101_5780.JPG

101_5782.JPG

Making smoke..... Here we go, generating real smoke for this diorama. Having attached a thin plastic tube to the rear of the Bentley 'S' Type, then inserting a 2 inch length of incense stick, I coated the incense stick with lubricating oil. The tip of the incense stick was ignited and a plastic propagator lid placed over the model car to build up an accumulated amount of smoke. Once the composition was set up and the camera was ready, the plastic lid was removed and the smoke released for the photography. This idea does need some fine tuning and later there will be more vehicles and...... MORE smoke ! The general idea is to create the appearance of exhaust smoke on a busy London street during the 1950's.

David

101_5940.JPG

101_5979.JPG

101_5984.JPG

I don't know how I've missed this thread so far - excellent work I really believe  dioramas are a must for displaying models.   I'll be following this with interest whilst working on my own gas station mk2 diorama.  Have you looked at Seuthe smoke generators - they are used for model railways and may be more adaptable?

David

Hello David Mitchell and thanks for your response. I agree that the only way to display model cars most effectively is to place them into a diorama, where everything looks as real as possible. For me, the idea of putting a completed build into a plastic box on a shelf, or just on a shelf, or inside a glass cabinet (with glass shelves) is not the most interesting way to display the model that is your pride and joy. Your gas station mk2 diorama sounds intriguing..... have you posted any photos yet? Yes, I did have a look at the Seuthe smoke generators and I might try them out at some stage. Some comments on diorama forums suggested there may be issues with them, so I set about improvising at this early stage. The lighting used in the previous photos of the Hooper & Co diorama was a single 100 watt daylight bulb, which is one of three daylight bulbs that I use. For the next series of test shots I shall be using a mini projector, more smoke and a different vehicle......

David

The Mk2 gas station is in its early stages.  It's based on the prototype at Gulf Ravensthorpe in Yorkshire.  The company that built the canopy sent us prototype measurements etc and we've got the brand guidelines from the Gulf agent in the UK.  So far it consists of 5' x 1.5' 15mm aluminium/aluminum frame. My co-builder is back in the UK this weekend after working abroad so I may start a build thread.  Is the Minor Traveller one of the resin bodies from Andy Swindlehurst?  I'm working on a Mini pickup from him at present but it's very hard work.

David..... I see that your diorama is 5 feet x 1.5 feet which is quite large, my diorama being 3 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. Yes, the Morris Minor Traveller resin body kit is from Andy of Modelkars in Halifax and I also have a Ford Anglia 105E resin body kit from him. I did find Andy very helpful and although the finish of the Morris body is quite rough, the Anglia body is a much better casting. The hardest part of the Morris build was scratch building a chassis and I used an interior from a donor kit which was the Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper ( non-racing version ). Andy is currently preparing an interior and a chassis for a 100E that will fit my 105E body.

David W.

David,  that size is for the canopy, the actual diorama will extend beyond that.  It's really designed as a backdrop for showing off models on the club stand at shows, having a single line of pumps, unlike the Mk1 version.  I've also found Andy good to deal with, sensible prices and I may be tempted to the Minor van.

David.... Oh I see, and I think I can visualise how you will display your models, with the diorama being much wider than it is deep. Andy seems to be a good contact for resin kits and I am happy with the prices which are usually around £20.00 or not much more per item. I thought I was going to have to order a Tamiya Lotus Super 7 as the donor kit for the wheels but Andy included wheels, bumpers and dashboard with the body for the Anglia.

Actually, the Ford Anglia is 1959 onwards so it will not be part of my diorama which is 1958, whereas the Morris Minor Traveller can be a 1957 so that is fine. Currently building the Tamiya Jaguar MK II and converting this model to a 1955 as a MK I. Also ordered a Heller Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet which is 1946 - 1953. The only kit that I cannot obtain in 1:24 scale is an Austin FX3 London Taxi, so I am having to use the 1958 Austin FX4 London Taxi, for which the Revell kit is slight out of scale, and this forced me to use a Welly diecast version of the taxi. When I get round to it I intend to attempt a conversion of the Tamiya 1936 Toyoda to an FX3 Taxi, as it seems to be a similar body shape..... could be tricky though!

Here is a photo of the Hooper & Co building in A2 size, which I purchased from the Denver Public Library Archives in Colorado USA, and taken between 1950 and 1952, because the signwriting says H.M. The King as compared with my diorama building which says H.M. The Queen.

David

101_6012.JPG

On the subject of smoke Eric, this is just one of two ideas that I've been turning over in my mind, the other being rain. Tried searching for an effective way of depicting rainfall using real water of course. The smoke effect is more for the photography than when the diorama is in an exhibition situation. The experiments continue.

Fascinated by the perspective concept that I have managed to achieve with the background acrylic painting, but once again this only works to the full extent in photographs, not so much to the eye of the viewer when standing to one side of the exhibit. Next vehicle to join the Hooper & Co setting will be the 1955 Jaguar MK I and this will be closely followed by the 1946 - 1953 Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet.

Thanks for your continued attention Eric and how are the Duesenbergs going?

David

Bentley_in_Fog_1.jpg

Talbot_Lago_1.jpg

Interesting stuff David.  I can't ever see the FX3 being produced as kit and the FX4 from Revell never really looks right to me. Is the Fujimi version the same kit?  Your plan to convert the Tamiya Toyoda sounds challenging.  On the subject of conversions have you looked at the Italeri Phantom II?.  My local model shop has had one on the shelf for months and I am tempted.  It may be too old and more of the "Maharaja" style for your diorama but a conversion to more traditional bodywork might be feasible.  I love Heller kits, very good especially for their age although the way they put the bodywork together looks like the designers all went mad.

Edited by Red318
Edited for spelling

Yes David, I have an Italeri 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II and I converted this one from a soft top to a hard top. Also, I converted the bonnet to a four panel opening bonnet to display the engine. This build was most rewarding and it was my first Italeri kit. Paintwork for this Phantom is brush painted gloss black and brush painted gloss magnolia, with pale blue upholstery for the interior. Here is a photo of the completed build. I would say if you get the chance to buy one and build it, then you will not be disappointed. If you miss out on the one at your local model shop there are loads for sale on Ebay, and many of them are quite cheap too.

The Phantom II has pride of place alongside a 1929 Franklin Mint Phantom I and a 1938 Danbury Mint Phantom III ( both diecast models ).

The Fujimi version of the FX4 is probably better than the Revell one, but I much prefer the FX3 if I can come up with something clever.

The Heller Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet kit arrived today and I shall start on that build once the 1955 Jaguar MK I is completed.

David

100_5330.JPG