Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Here is a short update because there is a lot of work going on at the moment. The Jaguar MK I build is nearing completion, and today a 1:24 scale old style telephone on a small table arrived in the post. I have built a nice office desk around this piece of dolls house furniture and painted it dark brown, with the telephone at the far corner of the desk. Still need to give the desk a coat or two of yacht varnish to produce a polished high gloss finish and also add brass handles to the drawers of the desk.

The telephone is supposed to be 1:24 but it appears to be slightly oversize, so I shall make sure that when the desk is in the corner of the Hooper & Co ground floor showroom, there will be a figure or two in the foreground, which should make the telephone look less out of scale. There will be some papers scattered on top of the desk and I need to find a 1:24 scale chair to go with it.

David

101_6361.JPG

101_6355.JPG

101_6367.JPG

101_6376.JPG

101_6388.JPG

101_6394.JPG

My humble suggestion is there would be no scattering of papers on the desk. Instead they would be arranged in a stunning maroon leather bound portfolio...with perhaps a hardcover sales brochure. Gold lettering "Hooper." Let's not allow ourselves to be undignified David!

I can't spill enough accolades about this project, even with a tongue in cheek comment!

Eric 

Your comments are always very perceptive and also very amusing Eric, so I look forward to each one. Absolutely no scattering of papers on the showroom desk and what is needed is a high standard of tidyness and professionalism. Since I posted the photographs of the empty desk I made two sheets of A4 paper in 1:24 and also a book which is cerulean blue in colour. Now you've set me thinking...... " leather bound portfolio " and " hardcover sales brochure " and " gold lettering "..... this is where I should be going with this. Osmond Rivers, the Managing Director of Hooper & Co (Coachbuilders) Limited ( by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen) is standing beside the showroom desk while speaking to a wealthy lady client who is arranging for some extensive bespoke coach building work to be done on her 1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Cabriolet de Ville. The polished mahogany desk is resplendent on the highly polished crimson wood flooring in one discreet corner of the ground floor showroom, with fine framed paintings on the walls and an imposing vintage clock face that demands attention. The atmosphere in their St James's Street showrooms is somewhere between that of a fine tailor's and the waiting room of a distinguished physician.

Better?

David

101_6425.JPG

101_6432.JPG

101_6436.JPG

The desk and telephone has been moved into the ground floor showroom in order to produce some test shots, just to get an impression of this composition.

Also, one of three new figures for the diorama has been assembled and painted, this first one being an engineer. These figures are actually from a Henry Ford set and they date from 1913, which is 45 years before the 1958 Hooper & Co building as it is portrayed here. The other two figures will follow shortly, these being a businessman and Henry Ford himself. The figures are produced in Ukraine and they do seem to be of the correct height and proportions, which is more than can be said about the telephone!.

David

101_6497.JPG

101_6499.JPG

101_6508.JPG

101_6509.JPG

101_6486.JPG

101_6492.JPG

101_6496.JPG

Thanks David Mitchell....  the three Henry Ford figures are the engineer in green overalls, the businessman in the light brown suit and then Henry Ford himself in bowler hat and long black coat. Henry does have white hair as I have painted this figure of mine, while the engineer has brown hair and the businessman has grey hair! These figures are produced by a company in Ukraine and they stand up very well alongside my Shapeways 3D printed figures. Technically they should be 1913, but I think they will not be out of place in the 1958 diorama setting.

David

101_6552.JPG

101_6554.JPG

101_6537.JPG

I received some good news yesterday that the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club have granted me exhibition space at their International Annual Show in June of this year, in order to display my Hooper & Co diorama and the entire collection of scale model motor cars. This is a big event and runs for three days from June 22 to June 24.

Here are some photos of the latest addition to the collection of vehicles, this being a 1950 Bedford Duple OB Coach by Original Classics, which is a 1:24 scale diecast model. The coach has working lights front, rear and interior, sliding roof and passenger entrance door, highly detailed interior and weighs in at 1.15 kg.

Further photos show the Tamiya Jaguar MK II that I converted to a 1955 Jaguar MK I with rear wheel arch spats and wheels from a VW Beetle. Also, some shots of the Henry Ford figures which seem to fit in well with the Shapeways figures.

Thanks for looking guys.....

David

101_6576.JPG

101_6586.JPG

101_6688.JPG

101_6691.JPG

101_6725.JPG

101_6733.JPG

101_6741.JPG

On 4/20/2018 at 3:04 PM, Anglia105E said:

Your comments are always very perceptive and also very amusing Eric, so I look forward to each one. Absolutely no scattering of papers on the showroom desk and what is needed is a high standard of tidyness and professionalism. Since I posted the photographs of the empty desk I made two sheets of A4 paper in 1:24 and also a book which is cerulean blue in colour. Now you've set me thinking...... " leather bound portfolio " and " hardcover sales brochure " and " gold lettering "..... this is where I should be going with this. Osmond Rivers, the Managing Director of Hooper & Co (Coachbuilders) Limited ( by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen) is standing beside the showroom desk while speaking to a wealthy lady client who is arranging for some extensive bespoke coach building work to be done on her 1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Cabriolet de Ville. The polished mahogany desk is resplendent on the highly polished crimson wood flooring in one discreet corner of the ground floor showroom, with fine framed paintings on the walls and an imposing vintage clock face that demands attention. The atmosphere in their St James's Street showrooms is somewhere between that of a fine tailor's and the waiting room of a distinguished physician.

Better?

David

101_6425.JPG

101_6432.JPG

101_6436.JPG

Absolutely! We wouldn't want malady offended by an undignified presentation! Keep in mind my observations are always tempered by a feeling of respect for your incredibly skilled work. I have also gotten the impression that you want this to look "right" at every turn. I like that perspective a lot. 

The fire safety equipment has now arrived at the Hooper & Co building, and the engineer is tasked with installing everything in it's place according to regulations.

Both the fire extinguishers and the fire hose reels are resin cast models, not cast by me, while the fire buckets are scratch built models by myself. The sand in the buckets is real, or at least it's ground black pepper!

I have only 43 days to the big exhibition for this diorama, which is a three day International show for Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars ( 1:1 )

David

101_7133.JPG

101_7139.JPG

101_7145.JPG

101_7158.JPG

101_7159.JPG

Osmond Rivers meets Henry Ford....... Here are a few photographs of the fire safety equipment in the ground floor showroom setting. From this angle the telephone appears to be much too large, so I will have to deal with that issue and also the desk appears to be too low. I have a mahogany oval dining table arriving any day now so might have to use that instead of my scratch built desk. Working on the last build before the exhibition which is the 1956 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud that was originally owned by Fred Astaire.

As always, thanks for looking guys.

David

101_7206.JPG

101_7210.JPG

101_7212.JPG

101_7223.JPG

101_7225.JPG

101_7226.JPG

10 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks very much Henry....... only 40 days to the big exhibition now. Working to get the diorama ready for this important event.

David

Wish you great luck and doing well on the exhibition.....

The five builds are completed, which include the Rolls-Royce Silver Clouds from 1955 to 1959, one motor car for each year of production.

Also, the Hooper & Co diorama is now displayed on a free standing open table, as it will be for the exhibition event, rather than in the confined space of my office.

Few photos of recent work..... thanks for following this project.

David

101_7570.JPG

101_7558.JPG

101_7491.JPG

101_7597.JPG

_DSC0080.JPG

101_7451.JPG

101_7572.JPG

Here are a few photos of the interior of the building, where fire safety equipment has been added to both the ground floor showroom and the first floor showroom and the Managing Director is standing at the top of the stairs. Also, two photos of the petrol sales ( gas sales? ) direct from tanker to the street.

David

101_7603.JPG

101_7606.JPG

101_7608.JPG

101_7614.JPG

101_7615.JPG

101_7613.JPG

101_7602.JPG

Thank you Eric....... each of the five Silver Clouds has different attributes, and of course I can't say which one I favour the most, but the last of the five builds has turned out surprisingly well. This is the Fred Astaire motor car, and although the 1:1 car appears to be a single colour which is either Brewster Green or Velvet Green, depending how the light falls on it, I have confirmation from the RREC archives in England that this car was shipped from Crewe and Glasgow to the United States as finished in two colours which are Velvet Green over Sage Green. Presumably Mr Astaire asked Peter Satori of Pasadena to supply the motor car in his favourite colour that was used for the Rolls-Royce Phantom I that is more famous than the Silver Cloud.

Current additions to the Hooper & Co diorama include a 1958 Vespa motor scooter complete with lady owner, and a 1:76 scale Cromwell tank in a display case that has a Rolls-Royce Meteor engine and is on display at the RREC headquarters building in Paulerspury as a large scale model of the Second World War tank. My idea is to place the display case containing what is a model of the tank on one of the floors of my Hooper & Co building as an exhibit for customers to view. The display case will be scratch built from sheet polyester and balsa wood, with only 29 days to the event...... no pressure !

David

100_7274.JPG