Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

This is probably the very last model car acquired for the smaller diorama before the exhibition in eleven days time. I saw this 1:43 scale resin model car on Ebay and I knew I must have it. Some of the photos show the real cars, of which there are only 10 known to exist in the world today and it is a 1933 MG F Magna Salonette. The resin model is by Neo, so it is from a German company and made in China. Only 390 of the real Salonette versions were made during 1932 and 1933. The white and green paint finish was the correct colour for the period.

David

11448171.jpg

11448173.jpg

11448175.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Here are a few photos of the 1933 MG F Magna Salonette taken in a diorama setting. This motor car is temporarily being stored in the Hooper & Co showrooms.

I am quite pleased with this latest addition to the collection, which is a 1:43 scale resin model car, and it is only 3 inches in length.

David

100_7870.JPG

100_7879.JPG

100_7928.JPG

100_7929.JPG

Thanks Eric, and it is indeed a remarkable little model car for the 1:43 scale........ I have just been repairing a 1:24 scale 1958 Morris Minor Traveller for my cousin, because the front bumper had fallen off, and the front number plate was missing. These photos show the scratch built resin bodied car alongside the Hachette diecast version of the same car, in a different shade of green.

I will post a report later to summarise the RREC exhibition, which I hope will be successful.

David

100_7954.JPG

100_7958.JPG

100_7971.JPG

100_7985.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Having returned from a very successful exhibition venue, here is a brief report and a few photos. My stand, displaying the two dioramas was immediately next to a full size 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I, which is an unfinished project and up for sale. The gentleman who was restoring the boat tail Phantom I had spent 30 years painstakingly rebuilding this motor car, but then sadly and rather suddenly passed away before he could finish the project. The car is being offered for sale to someone who can complete the project, and this will of course require a lot of money, as well as many years of careful engineering.

There was a great deal of interest in my exhibition stand and I found myself talking to many different people over the three day period. The smaller of the two dioramas, in 1:43 scale was sold to a Frenchman from Paris, who wants to display his collection of 1:43 scale model cars in a diorama setting like mine. The sale included the Hooper & Co building itself, the baseboard and the street lighting.

The heat and the humidity inside the Hunt House marquee caused my foamboard backing panels to warp seriously, and I was forced to take them down on the very first day. There was nothing I could do to rectify this problem so the display remained in place but without the boards showing information and photos. This must be done differently next year, if I get the opportunity to do a third exhibition at this venue.

Enjoyed the whole experience and ended up totally exhausted, but in a good way!

David

100_8017.JPG

100_8021.JPG

100_8038.JPG

100_8081.JPG

100_8107.JPG

100_8111.JPG

This will be diorama three, and construction work is under way. It is a pair of Victorian red brick terraced houses and includes both the front and back of the building. These are from highly detailed high quality card kits, produced by a company in Cornwall, England. In addition to the two house kits, I have purchased two further kits to provide streets, paving and junctions. The interiors of the terraced houses are also highly detailed and these can be viewed through clear acetate windows. Already I have a telephone kiosk, post office pillar box, street lamps, figures and cars in the 1:43 scale so this will be a full diorama on a wooden baseboard. First impression of the card kits indicates that this part of the project will take some time, as the assembly procedure is quite advanced. It may be necessary to strengthen some of the card walls for this structure by adding styrene or balsa sheet.

David

s-l1600 (3).jpg

terrace-back-interior-1.jpg

terraced-backs-closeup.jpg

terraced-house-back-1.jpg

terraced-house-back-2.jpg

terraced-house-close-shot-7.jpg

terrace-toilet-1.jpg

Thanks Gary, and I am hoping to produce some very realistic photography from this next diorama. Certainly, the owner of the company that sells these kits has taken some close up shots that stand up well from where I'm looking. The Diorama Three photography will be mostly outdoors this time, so using natural daylight and a real background.

David

Here are a few photos to show the current progress with the building of the Victorian red brick terraced houses. This is an advanced kit and not recommended for the novice to card model construction. Some parts of this assembly are quite difficult and great care is required to cut out, score and assemble each individual component part. The overall strength of the buildings is improving as I add each module, and there are still rooms to add as open fronted boxes, also roof sections, side walls, yard walls, kitchen extensions and outdoor lavatories. The quality of these kits is excellent, and the complex instruction sheets are well written, running to eight A4 pages. Once this terraced house backs kit is completed, I will have to construct the terraced house fronts kit in order to create the entire building, which represents two houses in 1:43 scale.

David

100_8264.JPG

100_8265.JPG

100_8313.JPG

100_8314.JPG

100_8317.JPG

100_8318.JPG

Hi, David... are the building kits in 1:43, or have you enlarged OO/HO railway scenery? I've always really liked some of the buildings that Scalescenes do, but when I tried enlarging a 1/76 garage to 1/24, it was really too blurry. If your guys are making O Gauge card kits to work from, I think enlarging to 1/24 might be do-able...

All the best,

Matt

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Hi, David... are the building kits in 1:43, or have you enlarged OO/HO railway scenery? I've always really liked some of the buildings that Scalescenes do, but when I tried enlarging a 1/76 garage to 1/24, it was really too blurry. If your guys are making O Gauge card kits to work from, I think enlarging to 1/24 might be do-able...

All the best,

Matt

Hi Matt..... yes these building kits are in 1:43 scale and sold as O-gauge, so maybe they could be enlarged to 1:24 scale ? One of my model builder friends suggested it would be great if they printed these kits on styrene sheet, as well as on card. As well as the Victorian red brick terraced houses, Purple Bob's Hobbies do a factory facade, a public house, a shop, a bus shelter, railway station, tudor building, roads and pavements, a bridge and even a public toilet!

Website is here https://purplebob.co.uk/

David

Some further progress made on the terraced houses over the weekend..... the side walls and chimney stacks are in place, and when I noticed a bend in the main wall of the building, in the centre, I was able to use the hot glue gun to strengthen the assembly. Working on the living rooms downstairs now, with the upstairs bedrooms following shortly afterwards. Surprisingly, there is still quite a lot of work to do on these terraced house backs, and then the terraced house fronts will be assembled as a second kit, before mating the two structures together.

David

100_8338.JPG

100_8339.JPG

100_8342.JPG

100_8346.JPG

Thanks, Pat and Gary...... the card building kit is assembled using PVA glue, and I have then used Crystal Clear glue from Zero Paints for the clear acetate window glazing. When I saw the serious warp in the main wall, as seen from above, I was getting ready to use super glue for the correction but suddenly realised that hot glue would work better. The bend and the resulting gap was my fault due to poor alignment, but the hot glue has held it together nicely. Hoping that over time the PVA glue will not weaken because the instruction sheets do specify PVA.

David

5 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Interesting painting of the Hooper building in the background of your photos.

That is a print of an original painting by the famous war artist and photographer, Eric Ravilious...... mounted on foam board and displayed on a mini easel.

David

I have been away too long. Congrats on your successful RR show. You certainly are the master of producing some very interesting projects. I am looking forward to watching the progress of this project. Clearly model car building can be more than just cars!

All the best,

Eric