Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Made good progress with the telegraph wires today..... so there are now two telegraph poles mounted on the diorama baseboard, with one length of telegraph wire joining the two poles. One of the poles will supply the two terraced houses, and there will be more wires added between the two poles. Earlier today I tried to place an order for a product called EZ Line, which is supplied by a company in the United States called Berkshire Junction, but I saw from their website that they are going into retirement and closing the business. Suppliers here in the UK are all out of stock of EZ Line in heavy size, black. Such a shame because this product appears to be perfect for the telegraph wires. Anyway, all was not lost because I managed to source some Shirring Elastic which is intended for sewing machines from a hardware store locally, and very cheaply too.

David

100_9782.JPG

100_9786.JPG

100_9796.JPG

100_9798.JPG

100_9800.JPG

The length of guttering on the front of the houses is in place, and also the two drainpipes are done, These were very tricky, and each one has four brackets holding the pipe to the wall. One pipe is dark red and the other one is dark green, to match the paintwork for each house.

Three lengths of telegraph wire are in place, and a second street lamp has been fitted.

Attached photos are from two photo shoots from well into the early hours of Tuesday morning. This time I was able to get some better results with the fog in a can, and the trick is to set up the camera in self timer mode, which gives me 10 seconds to get ready with the canned fog and it hangs around long enough to create the effect. Once again I have used the funeral cortege of three cars, with the gentleman in the top hat walking in front of the hearse. Apologies for so many photos, but most are in black & white, so smaller file sizes.

David

100_9913.JPG

100_9914.JPG

100_9921_1.jpg

100_9928.JPG

100_9935_1.jpg

100_9936.JPG

100_9940.JPG

100_9941.JPG

100_9942.JPG

100_9985.JPG

100_9986.JPG

100_9987.JPG

100_9993.JPG

100_9995.JPG

Thanks, Gary...... I thought I would attempt to to create the fog effect indoors, using the atmosphere aerosol for the 1:43 scale diorama, rather than go outdoors at 5.00 am in the morning to use real fog :-) As long as the camera is aimed directly at the light source, the fog technique does seem to work quire well.

David

100_9996.JPG

Following the arrival of a 1959 Ford Consul MK II yesterday, I photographed the car in a diorama setting. This is a 1:43 scale diecast model by IXO and is nicely finished in light blue with a white roof.  Alongside the Ford Consul is the 1963 Ford Consul Cortina MK I, which appears to be light blue in certain lighting conditions, but is probably light grey actually. I find myself seeing a strong similarity between the '59 Ford Consul and the 1955 Ford Fairlane Victoria that you have in the United States.

David

101_0161.JPG

101_0165.JPG

101_0166.JPG

101_0176.JPG

101_0179.JPG

101_0186.JPG

101_0190.JPG

101_0191.JPG

101_0192.JPG

101_0195.JPG

Having drawn up a plan that shows how a layout of two dioramas would work, this is how I see the display coming together on the table. Each of the two dioramas in 1:43 scale occupies a surface area of 2 feet 6 inches x 2 feet 6 inches, and the table area that I am allocated for the annual Rolls-Royce event is comprised of two tables, each one being 5 feet x 2 feet. The Victorian terraced house diorama is nearing completion and the next diorama will shortly be under construction. This one will be the Hooper & Co factory, as it was in 1958 and located at the address Western Avenue, Park Royal, Acton which is West London. As you look at the display, the terraced house diorama is on the right and the factory diorama will be on the left, so that Western Avenue runs along in the foreground, effectively connecting the two dioramas into one. The shorter street that leads away from Western Avenue is Dukes Road, and the terraced houses are on the corner of the two roads. There will be a factory frontage that is 19.75 inches wide and art deco in style, while behind this will be several rows of ridged roof factory buildings. One photo that follows shows the building early in 1959, when Standard - Triumph became the new owners of the Hooper building and another photo shows an original plan drawing from 1959.

David

2dioramas.jpg

2Dio_RH.JPG

2dioramas.png

standardtriumph-service-depot-768x503.jpg

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Gary...........  here you can see the single petrol pump on the forecourt of the Hooper factory building, which can be seen more clearly on the Standard - Triumph photograph. There should be plenty of space around the factory to position all of my Rolls-Royce and Bentley car models.

David

Hooper_Factory_2.jpg

Gary...... the date of the Standard Triumph Service Depot is definitely early 1959, but the Hooper photo could actually be late 1930's, which is when the Park Royal  factory was built. I was thinking that it might not be a photograph at all, and it could be an artist's impression ? You could well be correct, as the factory was engaged in war work.... [ quote } - 

During World War I, Hooper turned to aircraft manufacture, eventually producing Sopwith Camels at the rate of three a day. With peace, the firm returned to coachbuilding. They weathered the Great Depression of the 1930's far better than most coachbuilders, even building a second factory in Acton, West London. In the peak year of 1936, more than 300 bodies were built.

With re-armament in the late 1930's, another factory was opened in Park Royal, London, on Western Avenue, next to the Callard & Bowser confectionery works, and during World War II, they built fuselage sections for De Havilland Mosquito bombers, Airspeed Oxfords and gliders.

David

Many thanks for your comments, Anders...... While I do realise that the funeral procession scenario is a bit morbid, it does allow me to experiment with the ' fog ' effect and as you say, this gives the diorama setting a sinister look. That is what I was trying to achieve..... so you have responded as I was hoping !

David

The following photographs feature the 1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA in two-tone green, which is Alpine Green and Glade Green. This is the 1:43 scale diorama and the car is parked between the terraced houses and the bus shelter. It is early morning during the early 1960's, shortly before the first bus is due, and around the time that the local milkman is about to begin his deliveries. Soon the newspaper delivery boy will be doing his rounds and the owner of the green Vauxhall will be driving off to work.

David

101_0541.JPG

101_0563.JPG

101_0577.JPG

101_0644.JPG

101_0655.JPG

101_0662.JPG

101_0664.JPG

101_0670.JPG

101_0672.JPG

101_0666.JPG

Here is the latest addition to the 1:43 collection of scale model cars, photographed in a diorama setting. This is a 1950 Jaguar MK V diecast by NEO and it is a left-hand drive version with sun roof and white wall tyres, finished in brown paintwork. I had a feeling that this car would photograph well, and I was not disappointed. The MK V was the first post war Jaguar to be produced, from 1948 to 1951.

David

101_0858.JPG

101_0899.JPG

101_0903.JPG

101_0911.JPG

101_0927.JPG

101_0941.JPG

101_0951.JPG

101_0888.JPG

Thank you, Eric...... and I think the Jaguar MK V compares well alongside the Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn and Silver Wraith of the same time period. This part of the latest 1:43 scale diorama is what I am calling Diorama 3, and the next one to be constructed will be known as Diorama 4, which will be the Hooper & Co factory at Western Avenue, Park Royal, Acton, London...... the idea is that both Diorama 3 and Diorama 4 will merge together as one larger setting for next year's exhibition during June of 2020.

Diorama 2 was the 1:43 scale version of the Hooper & Co, St James's St showroom building, and Diorama 1 was the 1:24 scale Hooper showroom building. 

David

Oh, I forgot to include these photos in my previous post, Eric..... showing the Jaguar MK V now that it has been fully restored. One the wheels had come off in the box, the radiator grille mascot was missing, the windscreen wipers were missing and the front bumper was bent upwards slightly. All issues resolved now.

David

101_0979.JPG

101_0981.JPG

101_0983.JPG

On 9/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, Eric Macleod said:

One of the most beautiful postwar cars ever.  Your diorama amazes me more every day.  

I agree. there was one in a nearby town to where I lived between 85 and 99. every time I saw it I stopped and had a closer look. they are regal looking machines.

During the past week I have been assembling and painting a 1:43 scale Lambretta motor scooter and Swallow sidecar combination from a white metal kit, that is a lead and tin alloy. The paint finish is brushed on Humbrol enamel, using Emerald Green and Lime Green. As an addition that is not included in the kit, I have fitted three pieces of acetate window glass. The kit only comprises 14 pieces in total, as compared with the 1:24 scale Tamiya Vespa motor scooter, which comprised only 8 pieces. Quite a fiddly and tricky kit to build, but the result is better than I had expected to be honest.

David

101_1237.JPG

101_1254.JPG

101_1256.JPG

101_1259.JPG

101_1269.JPG

The 1954 Ford Zephyr Zodiac MK I by Lansdowne in 1:43 scale arrived today....... so here are a few photos of the car in a diorama setting. There are some parts of this model that probably need some chrome adding, which is surprising because usually Lansdowne wouldn't miss such details. I am thinking door handles, also the moulding strip that runs the length of the car along the waistline, and the window surrounds.

David

101_1319.JPG

101_1324.JPG

101_1334.JPG

101_1346.JPG

101_1296.JPG

101_1297.JPG

New arrival today was this 1:43 scale 1965 Ford Transit MK I van by Vanguards in diecast....... as you can see from the following photos, this is a realistic dirty white van, and as was typical in those days, some comedian has written a few words in the dirt...... such as ' Clean Me ! ' and ' Also available in white ! ' After looking at a Ford Transit model in pristine white, showroom condition, I decided that I preferred the dirty version for my diorama. This is a model from the Vanguards ' Hidden Treasures ' collection.

David

101_1412.JPG

101_1413.JPG

101_1454.JPG

101_1463.JPG

101_1466.JPG

101_1475.JPG

101_1479.JPG

101_1483.JPG